New to Georgia, and whole new catfish world, Advice?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by bradley_G, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I recently moved to Georgia from California and live near Allatoona at little river/victoria landing marina. Havent had much luck for anything but bait yet, but know there are fish around. I havent ever targeted BIG cats, flatheads, Gar, or hybrids before, just little california cats >10lbs.. Wanted to get some advice on setups and gear etc. Ive been using spinning reels most of my days but am proficient with baitcasting, any benefit to either? how about line test, leaders etc. what would you reccomend? I'm pretty familiar with the rigging and all, but wanted to get some info on what may make it easier for me. Also, any reccomended places to fish from shore, as I dont have a boat. I have quite a bit of free time if anyone wants a tag-a-long, or if you wanna tell me what your setup is that would be awful helpful. Thanks a MILLION!

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to the BOC Bradley!

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Bradley, I am sure some of the Georgia boys will help you.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bradley.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I would highly recommend the FLATHEAD CATFISH discussion thread! :big_smile:

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I highly recommend listening to Paul!!!:wink:

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Bradley;
    First of all, Welcome to the BOC! :big_smile: You have just made a very GOOD decision that will affect you and your fishing success in a POSITIVE manner for the rest of your days!
    Second, about your questions about Rods, Reels, Lines, Techniques, Hooks, Locations, ect.
    Personally, my first suggestion would be get to KNOW the BOC Site inside, outside, left, right, up, down, around, and any other direction you can think of at the time. Then, read, Read, READ! And cram as much knowledge into your brain as you can about Catfishing, the kind of Catfish you want to go after; Blues, Flatheads, Channels, or all of them, ect.
    Next, I would make posts in the NEW area as you have done with this post, then also consider making posts in the State areas such as GEORGIA, I think we have some lake areas listed in the index too, along with specific species of Catfish such as the above mentioned Blues, Flatheads, Channels and such.
    Get you a paper and pencil, or use the "Notebook" option on your computer or mark a CD for Catfishing Files and start your own kind of Notebook, Journal, or whatever you wish to call it. :big_smile: Personally, I cut and paste information to a file and when I get a full page I send it to my printer, punch the holes in it, and put it in my notebook for future reference. I do this because when the electrical power goes out it's hard to read electronic notes in an electronic notebook! Yea, I know there are battery backups, portable generators, ect. But in my case, I just light the candle, kerosene lamp, long burning LED flashlight, ect, and read from my hard-copy notes. :big_smile: :smile2: Also, it's a bit hard to take your computer with you on the shore when your fishing. Yes, I know, laptops battery packs. But none of those technologies has gotten reliable enough nor lasts long enough for me just yet. The day IS coming and it's probably NOT too far away, but still, it's something for you to consider. Also, there is nothing wrong with having BOTH!:big_smile: You ever get a lightening strike or even a power surge/lag and you could loose everything on your computer! It's not hard to loose and I just recently had to reformat one of my hard drives because of just that problem despite the protection I had on my electrical system! But I digress!:sad2::embarassed: Sorry, I tend to get long winded and off track sometimes!:embarassed:
    After all your research, I would then advise you to take stock of your own fishing supplies. ALL of them. See what you can use, what you need, and what you can get by with starting out. Believe me, you can always add different/extra stuff later on as you gain more experience. I would start out with the basics for now.
    One thing I was ask you to REMEMBER if nothing else! That is, when one of the Brother's or Sister's helps you out with an answer, suggestion, opinion, ect, with ANY of your questions, please DON'T FORGET to "THANK" them!! It does not have to be long winded or elaborate, but a simple honest "Thank You" goes a long way towards establishing your "Rep" on the BOC. And, it's a matter of common courtesy if nothing else! :wink: Also you might remember that some of us, MANY of us, are over the age of 30 years. While our bodies may be deteriorating, our "Hearts" and "Spirits" are still those of a child!! :wink::smile2: Having said that, remember too, that not everyone is an expert at spelling, sentence syntax, ect. But every member I have ever met on-line or in person, has always gone out of their way, above and beyond, to help me whenever, and wherever, I asked for help! Not everyone will be able to help you. Many will give you advice you already know, but remember that they ARE trying their best to help you because YOU asked for help, suggestions, ideals, opinions, ect. But in the end, after all the advice, opinions, suggestions, ect, the Final Decision is YOURS to make!
    Now, it's just my opinion, but I will answer one of your questions you posted.
    I too use and prefer Spinning Reels. I think most of the Brother's and Sister's use Bait Casting reels. But no matter what anyone tells you, suggests to you, ect.
    What MATTERS MOST, is WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU! :wink:
    :big_smile:
    And with that piece of advice I will close this post. After all, I don't want to use up all of your "screen ink" nor that of the other Brother's and Sister's! Besides, I get long winded and all enough as it is. If you don't believe me, just ask around and I'm sure you will find plenty of folks that will tell you the same!
    I'm GLAD your a member. We are stronger with you as a member than we are without you!
    Take Care, please feel free to contact me via PM if I may be of any assistance to you in your efforts. Should I see another of your posts asking for help, and if I can help, I will certainly make a post on your thread/question. After all, that is what the BOC is about. Members helping one another! That is also why we ALL are Brother's and Sister's too!
    For now, I will close with the hope that some of what I have posted will be of help to you.
    "Walk In Peace"
    Cordially and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[ End of Post for now ]]]]]

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    What?

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    That was a JOKE (my reply). I would have put a smiley face in there but Coyote 1 used them all up! :big_smile:

11. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Bradley. Allatoona has channel cats and flatheads, and probably more small channels than anything. I like fresh cutbait for the larger channels and an occasional flathead. Livebait (bream) is probably best for the larger flatheads. Try fishin' near some cover such as a downed tree or even marina dock pilings. Use a couple poles at different depths and try your luck night fishin' if possible. Good luck.

12. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    TOO FUNNY! Coyote 1 that is more than I have posted all year, but good advice. Thanks for the post.

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Welcome to the BOC. AHHHH The dead sea, or so called lake Alatoona. I've never had any luck on that lake. I wish you luck though:wink:

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bradley Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Waiting to hear your fishing stories.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

15. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Bradley!

We're from southern GA, so we can't help you with Altoona...

As for gear, a Carolina rig is simple, easy and cheap. Try using what you already have in terms of rod/reel and see how it works. You can then upgrade/improve whatever you see lacking.

Targeting really BIG fish requires some pretty serious tackle. But before you dump a ton of money on stuff, figure out what you'll be needing and how important each upgrade is to your sucess. We started out with plain ole' splnning gear with 15 pound test, and quickly figured out we needed heavier line. Then as we targeted larger and larger fish, the rods and reels were replaced, etc., etc.

Good luck and as others have said READ READ READ. There's a wealth of information here for the taking. And ask questions...

Good luck...
    - Marty -

16. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    thanks guys, one more question, how do I do the "thank you" for post thing?

17. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    you can't till you get ten posts.

18. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    doesnt hardly seem appropriate to not have the ability to thank people... oh well. thanks guys.

19. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
  20. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to BOC. what ever advice you need can and will be found here. this is a great group of guys and full of knowledge.