New to fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by countrycat15, Aug 30, 2007.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey yall,im new to fly fishing and i am getting a fly combo saturday. but anyway....what is the strangest thing you have cought fly fishing?also does any one fly fish for carp? any tips yall have will help me out alot.thanks.

2. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The strangest thing caught while fly fishing? HaHahaha. Ok, that brings up a memory that I'll always laugh at. I had the pleasure of doing a drift fishing trip down the Bighorn River in Montana some years ago. I had a particularly great day in late November catching large numbers of chunky rainbow and brown trout on my 6 weight rod. Some of them trout were 22" to 24"! ... real fighters too! My trip spilled over into the late evening, and it was so dark it was difficult to see just where to cast. The young guide seemed rather knowledgeable about the local trout, and suggested that I try a black wooly booger fly to catch some of them ol' brown trout that feed at the crack of dusk. I proceeded to cast to to the bank (or what I thought might have been the bank...it was getting pretty dark). I managed to hook up to a couple of nice ones. We were drifting along, and I heard a bit of commotion near the bank. I cast that wooly booger as best as I could to the sound.....and hooked up to a real fighter!!! My rod was bent double...and there was a lot of weight on the other end! This just may be the trophy of the day! I fought for at least 20 minutes to gain line and get my quarry near the driftboat so that my guide could net it. The guide was an expert in handling the net, and soon dipped it under my catch. Then.......all heck broke loose !! Whatever he had netted was climbing out of the net...up the net handle....and my guide was backpeddling almost out of the other side of the boat. It seems that I had foul-hooked a sizable furry muskrat right in the tail, and it weren't too happy about being caught and netted. Hahaha! The funniest part of it all was the guide, who had panicked ! I guess you had to be there to appreciate the intensity of the moment. I laughed then, and I laugh now, whenever I think about it. Thank you for your post which reminded me of this experience. (The muskrat did get away unharmed. The guide.....well.....I do believe that he will never be quite the same) :smile2:

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hahaha good story man,thanks:smile2:

4. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've never actually flyfished for carp, but I have caught them while flyfishing.
    I've caught them of San Juan worms and on egg patterns. Talk about thinking you've hooked a trophy trout :roll_eyes:

Strangest thing I've ever caught was the seat of my pants on a back cast

5. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Some years back I was fishing along the shore of lake monroe .Hwy 17/92 zomes along just 30 ft away but the bass were hitting .I hooked a real nice ford pickup on my back cast , it got off.
    crmule

6. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You're going to enjoy flyfishing. I've flyfished since I was 10 and haven't caught any strange creatures...yet! Came close to catching a duck once. It chased a dry fly all the way back to me. I do flyfish for carp and they are a blast to catch. You have two good options. Option One: throw topwater flies, any pattern that imitates a drowned bug, hoppers or crickets. Look for carp cruising just under the surface and cast ahead of them and wait. They're easily spooked. I live near VA Tech campus where they have a large duck pond that has plenty of big carp. People frequently feed them and I tied on a piece of soft white foam and colored it yellow and it looks exactly like whole kernel corn. I've caught several carp on this. I've also had some snap 10-lb flourocarbon leader. Option Two: Look for carp "tailing" in shallow water. They like aquatic bugs and small crawfish. You can throw small weighted nymphs, like a pheasant tail or small woolly buggers. Again, cast well ahead and watch for any carp that approaches your fly. They will "tail up" when taking this type of fly. It's hard to feel the take and they will drop a fly when they feel much tension. Good luck to you.

mike in SW VA