New to flatheads (and AZ)...gear to use?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by lylefk, Aug 8, 2008.

1. lylefk

lylefk New Member

State:
    az
    Hey, I'm new to AZ (moving there shortly) and have no experience with Flatheads...I've caught Channels up to 20 lbs and some change (see my avatar) out in CA where I'm originally from, but nothing as large as these will get. I've also been out of the fishing scene for a few years and am behind the times on equipment too.

Here are my questions:

1) I see people using upwards of 50b test...a superline of some sort I imagine?

2) Do most people use spinning reels or bait casting? I've done well with both, and had good success with a custom strike detector system I came up with for spinning reels as well as using the clicker on a bait casting reel...

3) What is the most popular super line out there these days? I had a ton of trouble with Firewire back in the day, it would spin on the spools really badly. Eventually, I settled on 12lb Maxima mono for Catfish and Salmon. It tested right around 17lb and had good abrasion resistance.

4) Does anyone have a diagram of the rig people are using for live bait? Or a good explanation? I read one and it made no sense...I've never used a bobber for catfish before, but then I've never used live bait either... :eek:oooh:

I love Gamakatsu circle hooks and will stick with those unless someone has a good reason not to.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure I'll come up with more...

Lyle!

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I dont think there is a "best" combo out there, but I can tell you what my experience has taught me. Being impatient and prone to chucking entire rod and reel combos in the lake for birdsnesting, I use a large spincast and a berkeley big game rod with 35-40 lb gorilla braid. I use a 3 way swivel with a sinker attached with 10 lb mono. Hook a bluegill or baby carp behind the dorsal leaving as much of the hook exposed as you can and let fly.

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome to the BOC. You have certainly joined the right website to help you get familiar with flatheads. If you check the member library there is a wealth of knowledge there. I am new to targeting flatheads also. I am sure you will enjoy the site and stories.:big_smile:

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Minimum 25lb mono main line. 2foot leader with 30-40lb mono at the end a 6/0 gamacatsu. Above the 2foot leader a strong swivel above the swivel a 2-3oz sliding sinker.

Rod med-heavy if reel is level wind ensure guides are small, if spinning reel ensure guides are large to accomidate the spool of the reel.

Reel large spinning or large level wind
    Level wind ensure the clicker is on when your bait is in the water.
    Spining reel buy a shamano bait runner 4500 and ensure the bait runner is on while your bait is in the water.

Bait carp small live dead cut steak best part is close to the gills more bloddie.
    Bait gills and sunnies bigger the better live hooked behind the dorsil fin

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks Terry, I am absorbing any info at a chance of getting a run from a big one. thanks

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Lyle,
    Aside from all the good info you already got here...I'll just say that I have been experimenting with diffrent rigs depending on where Im fishing. If I fish heavy current, I will go with a 3 way set up. If you run across any of the flat sinkers that are usually made for surf fishing in the 3oz. range, they will come in handy over here.

7. lylefk

lylefk New Member

State:
    az
    Good info...anybody have experience with the Akuma baitrunner spinning reels? I've had good luck with Shimano in the past, but figured it was worth checking up on...

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC! The folks here can get you pointed in the right direction after which, I'll chime in and throw you completely off:smile2:!

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Lyle, Welcome,,
    All the above advice is pretty good, I'm always trying to pick more info myself..I like the circle hooks also, but, only If I'm probably gonna take a nap, if I try and "set" the hook with one, I'm pretty sure I lose most of those, I want to stay with large traditional style if I'm payin' attention..and acting like something I do might make a difference, LOL

I tie my hooks directly to my main line, after I've run it through swivels and such to tie weights onto.., I fish mainly in the Colorado River, Use live bluegills, etc, for bait,,, hook'm right behind the dorsal, and maybe use a second hook, through the tail end,,that's prevented me from yanking the circle setup completely out of their mouth!! Should I forget what I have out there or wake up somewhat disoriented!! Maybe I should drink more coffee,,,,,nah.

I use baitcasters, and spinners,,, mostly the baitcasters I'd say, But, like to use a long surf rod with one of my spinners, usually about 30 lb mono, with a piece of cut bait,a spark plug for weight,, hang that off a bobber and stick that pole out far as I can and drift that down river as far as I can control it,,, Being a bank angler, I can "see" more water in one place that way,, Channels seem to appreciate that sometimes..even during the day.
    However, for the Flats, One of my favorite reels is an old Cabelas line counter trolling reel, it has a loud clicker, and seems to handle 50 lb mono OK, I've got it mounted on a 7' eagle claw yard sale rod I accumulated... Have even used the line counter to "drift" down the river and have gone back to the same area according to the counter and nailed another fish...
    Mainly I'd say, good line, and good hooks, Good Luck,,,

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Welcome to the BOC Lyle :wink: You will find all the information you'll need here brother.

11. Angieaz

Angieaz New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    Welcome to Beautiful Arizona.

12. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Lyle,
    Stick with Shamono it's the best baitrunner system out there. The reel your talkin about I beleive is a cheap imitation. It has the opposite lever meaning you pull the lever back to turn the runner on. The Akuma also doesn't have as loud of a clicker as the runner lets line out.

The bennifits of the Shamono is you can turn the handle a half turn and it automatically goes from the runner to the main drag and the smooth heavy duty salt water drag gears which comes in handy when you have a ripper on.

13. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    From what I've read lately, I'd suggest a toy such as one of those Brable Doll Rods you see at Walmart. I guess we don't know as much about what to nail these brutes on as we thought- Check out this link! :smile2:

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've experimented and come to the conclusion that the goofy rods will not work. :wink: i refused to hold a barby rod. :smile2:.gary

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Your in a good spot I was stationed in Yuma for a few years and I tore them up out their and their are some monsters out their. i use power pro braides line 65# test I use spinning reels but baitcasters are very good. I use a carolina rig set up out there you really shouldnt need anything over 2 ounce weight. 8/0 circle hooks are really good but since your going to need to be using live bluegill the bigger the better in my opinion I would try 10/0 king khales. Fish the canals or the colorado if your close to them and use some live bluegill thats what I did good with. Good luck.

16. azfisher

azfisher Member

State:
    arizona
    I agree shimano is the original runner reel. But for the price cabela's salt striker bait runner in the 50 size work very well. I own two of them and love them and there 60 dollars and not 100 dollars. I spool them with 50lb spiderwire stealth it casts really well and it's queit (doesn't sound like cable). I am by far no expert but these have worked really well for me over the last 4 years in arizona. I also use cabela's whupping sticks there e-glass and are made by shakespear. Good luck man post your sucess I hear there are monsters down there!:smile2:

17. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Welcome to the BOC!!! You have come to the right place. We have some great fisherfolk here. Shimano is the premiere baitrunner real in my opinion. If you are comfortable and use to using circle hooks thats cool, just think big. 8/0 to 10/0. I use Berkely big game mono in 50# test. I have had many fish break 40. I was younger and dumber back then and tried to horse them in, DON'T. Most flathead fisherman use either bluegills, tilapia if they can find them, or if not then goldfish works good too. Good luck and good fishin! Tight lines.

:cool2: