New to Flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SyKo450, Sep 28, 2009.

1. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I been all about the Channels up until this past Saturday when I was finally satisfied with my catch, so now I want to try for Flats...

I live down in the Imperial Valley and wanted to see if anybody new some good spots for Flats, I've heard about the Alamo and New River, but I would have no idea approximately what spot to fish.

Feel free to put in your 2 cents in the cup, it will be greatly appreciated

I'll be doing some reading/research on this species of cat.

2. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    You deffinately came to the right forum to learn about flattin. Just keep reading and you will have the knowledge of thousands of years experience in this realm of fishing. WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!!:wink:

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Been doing some reading, it seems like I'm going to have to get a new rod and reel:eek:oooh:

I have a 6'6" light action rod and a reg sized baitcaster:embarassed:

This type of fish gives me an excuse to buy new stuff:big_smile:

The old lady is going to be pissed off, but then again, they get pissed off for no reason, so what the heck, better to piss her off for a reason:wink:

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah you're definetly gonna need new gear for consistently catching cats 20lbs and higher. Flats are the meanest Cats. I recommend nothing under 7ft or MH action. If you're fishing from the bank you might wanna try between 8-10ft Rods and MH-H action. Are you fishing big strong Tidal Rivers with lots of current, big resevoirs or moderate sized lakes? They all will determine your decisions as well as the size fish in the body of water, structure, and boat or bank fishing

5. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    For sure it's bank fishing.

It'll be at a river. (Alamo River)

Got my eyes on a Penn 320 GT2 reel, not quite sure about a rod at the moment, feel free to recommend

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Ric,
    Flatcattin is great,,
    I've evolved into using 7' one piece, heavy/ x-heavy rods, Boat or bank,, Abu Garcia 7000 or bigger,, with bearings, and Carbon drags. Usually spooled w/ 50# Mono. To control the fish,,
    7/0-10/0 Kahle Hooks..
    I got some 30# ripped in half last night on some rocks,, at a local lake..The flats were working it!!!
    I fish the Co River as often as I can..also.
    but, I'm not a particularly good Flatcatter,, but, I'm avid!!
    Good luck!!

7. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    welcome to the BOC!!! great choice in a reel. a really good one you should be very happy with it. as for a rod i could suggest berkley big game rods, quantum big cat rods, master rods are a good rod, st croix rods are very good but the price on them is pretty steep, my setups that i use are 2 10ft H akuma solaris surf rod with both with the 6600 bcx 2 11ft 4in XXH daiwa emblem surf rods with the 6500c3 and 3 8ft ol mr whiskers M/H all the reels are lined with 50# black widow camo mono line. hope this helps and good luck and tight lines!!!

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Chris,,
    I use the Hi Seas Quattro Camo mono,, in 50#... I sure like it!!

9. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Thanks Greg and Chris

Think I'm going for something between 7 and 8ft

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i agree with all the posts i have seen. i personally like a longer 9-10ft rod for bank fishing. it allows you to pick up any kind of line slack as you really rip his jaws. also, i would deffinitly go with a ABU 7000 or biger, or what ever penn's equivilent is. my opinion for the money ABU's are awesome. i use 40-50lb Berkly Big Game but that is because of the cover and rocky situations i fish around. if there was more sandy or mud bottoms i would def fish Power Pro in 80-100lb test.

your also going to want to check out some of the terminal tackle threads on riging and the differnt situations to use them. depending on your bottom you may need to tie differnt rigs and the baits you will be using for flat heading my dictate the change also. your hook and sinker sizes will def make you have to upscale your size from what you used to channel fish. i used Gama J Octo offsets for a long time in 6/0 to 10/0, but i am quickly switching to the Gama Octo offset Circle hooks 6/0-10/0+ depending on the bait size. In the current of a river, circles are the way to go they will almost set the hook on themselves, especially with Gamagatzu's they are by far the sharpest hooks i have found.