New to Flathead Catfish Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by toddschwind, Dec 10, 2009.

1. toddschwind

toddschwind New Member

State:
    Gilbert, AZ
    I wanted to introduce myself to the board. I've been read-only for the past month or so (even though I created my account about 5 years ago). You all have inspired me to purchase myself an early Christmas present - a Sturdy Stick and the rest of the gear required to land some big Flats!

I've never fished for Flats but I'm now on a MISSION. I realize this probably isn't the best time of year to begin but I really don't care (see mission comment above). I live near Power and Baseline in Gilbert so I'm more apt to fish the Salt and the lakes here in the East Valley, however, my good friend has a boat on Bartlett so I head up there often as well.

The Lower Salt is very close to my house but the reviews from many of the posters on here lead me to believe it's a 2nd rate Flat destination. I'm willing to travel but I would be very interested if anybody had something good to say about this stretch of water.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the information being shared on here. Again, I just really wanted to introduce myself as I plan to read and post regularly going forward. I look forward to eventually meeting some of you on the water. Any tips for a newbie are greatly appreciated.

-Todd

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    welcome to the boc there will be plenty of help on here to get you started on those flattys

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    The Lower Salt is far from second rate. The cool thing about the Lower Salt River, is that it is close. From your house you can be at Granite Reef in 20 minutes. I have caught some toads in the Lower Salt. There is a large group of guys out here in East Mesa/Tempe, that fish together somewhat regularly. Jasonhumble, Gwille, Myself, Brianthelion, pr1mos, fishfun, overkil, waterdawg, Vinny383, truword1, and several others, the other side of town, you can't get better company than Gotabig1, Flathead-40, lilmonster, jdk700 (something like that), stinkyfingers, several others. Then you have the Verde Valley Crew which is some of the finest folks around, bubbacat, rajincagin, snagged2. Between all of us, you should gain tons of Knowledge, Rod and Reel expert is no question snagged. Call me up, 602 315 4189

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Todd to the BOC,
    Lots of help here, best place to be when you can not put a line in the water.

5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Dang it, I knew I forgot some good folks, Azcat, and lonny, definately know the ins and out of flatheading! Sorry to anyone else I know, that I didn't mention.

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.Have fun

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Todd!:0a25:.Once you got the FEVER,there aint no going back!Good luck brother.:cool2:

8. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Todd - welcome to the board!

9. flathead-40

flathead-40 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Todd You will learn a lot from the Arizona group of the Boc. I prefer Bartlett lake.I have been fishing it for 30 plus years and it holds some big ol' toads. When it warms up a bit we will hit it. Best of Luck!

10. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome Todd!!:big_smile:

11. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
  12. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    First off, welcome to the BOC Todd. You are correct when you say it's a little late, but they can still be caught this time of year. AZFlats just got some good ones from Bartlett recently. If you want to try for them now, look for holes with little current and cover like logs or roots where they can lay and suck in the unfortunate bluegill or carp that happens to get too close. Biggest thing this time of year is to just pack an extra litle box of patience, it could be difficult to get them right now. Cast at the cover a few times and if you can't entice a bite then move on to the next hole. Good luck and let us know how you do.:wink:

13. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    welcome to the boc/soc :smile2::big_smile::big_smile:

14. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Welcome to the BOC Todd! You definitely came to the right place. I don't have personal knowledge of your stretch of water but there are a lot of folks here that do. They will treat you right. Glad to hear you have been bitten by the bug too. Your life as you knew it is over as you will soon discover the joy of the pursuit of our quarry. Wish you good luck and good fishin. Tight lines.

:cool2:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Todd Welcome to the Brotherhood. Enjoy. Proud to see you started posting.

16. toddschwind

toddschwind New Member

State:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks to everybody who replied!

ragincajun - Thanks for the specific suggestions regarding the Lower Salt. I'll probably be heading out there this weekend so I'll give it a shot.

rca - Thanks for offering up your phone number...I already put it in my cell. My first call to you will probably come from the water asking for some instruction! LOL

A couple questions for all:

1 - Does your choice of bait change during the colder months or should I stick with live gills and/or little carp? Would fresh cutbait be a better choice due to the increased chance to at least catch channels?

2 - Last weekend at the marina at Bartlett they had small waterdogs (3-5"). Will that do me any good or do they need to be bigger?

3 - This may sound like a stupid question, but I spend some time at Bartlett on my buddy's houseboat which is docked at the marina. I can catch gills there all day. Is it worth dropping a gill to the bottom of the lake at the marina (depth is 50' right now) or would that be a waste of time?

4 - I don't have a casting net or anything like that so I need to catch my bait on rod and real on location. Any suggestions for catching bait on the Lower Salt?

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC! Lots of flathead guys here, and info. to give and gain!:big_smile: rollo

18. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    1. Call me up, stick same bait, gills, carp, cut gills, cut carp.
    2. Too small and overpriced, you will spend 1.50 per waterdog to catch one and a half pound channels.
    3. My experience with bluegills, is they do not live very long passed twenty feet of water, maybe 25 max.
    4. Once again, call me whenever, even tonight, so I can tell you where to get bait.

19. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    1. If you can get live carp use those before anything if not use gills. I have noticed all my channel cats have all been on cutbait so I dont use that n e more.

2.I would stick away from them and just use what the lake can give you!

3.The gills will probably die but 1 pole in the water with a live/dead gill is better then nothing try it you might have good luck or you might get nothing but what will it hurt!

4.Call Rob! Or go to canyon lake!

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    welcome to the Boc Todd, It won't be long you'll have one on the bank or in the boat thats for sure.:wink:..As its been said already (cover is the key)along side of some rock flats or undercut banks. They get packed together too! at this time of year. You might hit a couple if you hit one and stay on the spot a little, downsizing in bait would be wise as well, a 2-3" gill should work alot better than a 5-6"r.

Good Luck to ya :wink:

post a pic of that big boy when you get him!:smile2::cool2: