new to fishing the river

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by durben, Aug 15, 2008.

1. durben

durben New Member

State:
    ohio
    im new to fishing the river in tuscarawas county and i need all types of help no idea how to set my pole up or what bait to use

2. slinky

slinky New Member

State:
    ohio
    bait is the easiest part! all u have to do is figure out what they (the cats) r eating if there is a lot of shad or blugill that would b where i started! good luck

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    What type of Cats r u lookin fer durben??

:cat:

4. durben

durben New Member

State:
    ohio
    i am just fishing for any cats, but how do i know what bait to use tho

5. slinky

slinky New Member

State:
    ohio
    if u r fishing for channels i would say worms chicken liver or shrimp if u want something bigger go with live blugills or cut shad

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Channel cats = cut bait (shad, carp, bluegill, chubs)

Blue cats = cut bait (skipjack, shad, bluegill)

Flatheads = live bait (bluegill, shad)
    cut bait (same as blue)

You can catch all of these fish on other baits as well: nightcrawlers, liver, artificial/processed baits

Good luck fishing!

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    durben, FRESH, iced Shad cutbait will get both Channels and the Flats. The farther down river u can go to find deeper holes (spots) with stucture I think the better off u will be. A spot can be an old tree in the water and small drop off etc etc.

I have not fished the Tus but did look into it before, yrs ago, Below Newcomerstown if poss would b a start (OPINION).

Some others maybe able to help more.

You will continue to learn more as u go and see what will and will not work better. After 5 yrs I still keep learning alot.

:wink: :0a26:

8. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your planning on getting bigger fish, especially going after flats, get 20-30 lb berkley big game line. put a 2-5 ounce egg sinker and a bead, then put on a barrel swivel, and a leader of about 12 inches. i suggest 50 lb line for the leader, nothin but a turtle will break that. as for hooks, i would suggest nothing smaller than 8/0. i use circle hooks, but thats only a personal preferance. make sure its a quality hook that wont bend. a good fish will break a weak hook

9. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    funman you said it all there

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Sounds like a good plan to follow thru with!

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like you got yourself a good bit of info to get started with. Remember, Location, bait, and presentation should be your priorities.

12. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like the guys got you hooked up with good info , also remember that if the cats ain't bittin then enjoy those smallies, because it is smallie heaven up there too. I used to live in denison and I have done a lot of fishing up there. One more idea is grab a inertube and take a afternoon and float down it on your area of the river and find some good holes and logs.
    Best of luck, Matt AKA DESODE