New to fishing Sutton Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by MuDD_Cat23, Mar 27, 2009.

1. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello fellow anglers, i am going to be going to sutton lake this week and ive never fished there before and i was wondering if anyone can tell me any tips or tricks about catching some cats there. a few other questions i have is where is the boat ramp for these lakes also is there a local bait shop and what are the best rigs and bait for this lake like i said before ive never fished there and wanna give it a try cause i just found out im only 35 to 40 mins due south of the lake and ive only fished the lockwood folly river and also the waccamaw river so any tips will greatly be appreciated thanks yall and have a good day.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    ther is a small tackle shop with a grii about 1/4 mile north of suttonlake rd, follow rd u go past S.T.WOOTENS asph. an concrete plant rd, turns to dirt follow it to end &boat ramp. they have maps of lake at the tackle shop well they did not sure now.i can,t help on the rigs,i haven,t cat fished there yet ,i,ve been fishing north east cape fear

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Sutton Lake is a tricky lake to learn. I have not figured it out yet myself. Be careful out there if you dont know it very well. I would say the lake is 5-6 feet deep on average and there are deeper areas around the dikes. There are a lot of stumps hanging out of the water and just under the surface so be careful..especially at night. The lake is has flatheads and channels but I don't think there are any blues in it. I think the best baits out there would be live and cut bream, eels, shad and maybe some chicken livers for channels. I would check the wind before going out there...it can get pretty rough if its over 20 mphs.

4. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I appreciate the information at the bait and tackle shop what kind of bait do they have do they have any live shad cause from what ive been hearing the shad population is down and there hard to find and i know this sounds kind of weird where are some good places on the lake to catch some decent size fish.

5. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    yhere are nice fish all over the lake , to the left of the ramp is a hot ditch it holds some fish other than that just try around the edges where the ditches come to shallow water carolina rig works best for me don,t need a lot of weight good luck you need good line because you dont know when mr flattie will come by he will take your stuff and laugh at you

6. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks alot catfish when you say to the left are u refering to the left if im standing on the boat ramp looking out i guess what is considered the big lake and how far left do i need to go im goin in there dry a single wide jon boat no depth finder or anything of that nature

7. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    The hot ditch is where the warm water is discharged from the plant. If you are standing on the boat ramp looking at the lake it is on your left. If you just follow the lake that way you will see it. There is a white pipe going across the mouth of it. As far as I know, that bait shop only sells minnows and goldfish.

8. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the hot ditch is good, another thing to look for is the fish attractor boyuos. where you see one there is deep water. i have also been told that if you follow the lake around to where they pull water in from the river that thats a good spot also. theres a scour hole from when the water is getting pulled right in that area. Bait id say cut bream, eels, and i know alot of the boys on here like using shrimp. good luck to ya.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    First and foremost, be carefull, it'll go from 14' to 2' in a heartbeat. The deep water is NOT in the center of the lake, unless you're over "The Peanut" which is the deep hole in lake 3(?). Look for good junctures between deep and shallow water, where structure is present and you'll put yourself ahead in the game. Like mentioned, the scour hole sometimes holds fish, but if you don't get hit fairly quick there, I wouldn't spend much time on it, they are either there or not. Don't be afraid to move around try spots that "look good" too you, because you honestly never know where they will be from day-to-day in there. The flatties have so much structure they are able to stalk the flats and find retreats basically anywhere they want during the day. The channels are around, and tend to be big too, don't come undergunned. A 10+lbs. channel can really hold its own! You can get minnows and goldfish at the tackle shop everyone is mentioning, but I wouldn't rely on what they've got. Try to get better bait in advance and just bring it with you. Hope this helps.

10. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well today i left Shallotte N.C which is about 45 mins south of Sutton at around 9:30 and went to sutton, lets see i started out fishing all the way at the end of the lake where the water gets sucked into fished there for about 45 mins and i got a bite or 2 nothing was taking it then i moved to where i guess is lake 2 or 3 where theres a bouy making the 30 foot hole and i sat up on the set one where they said is about 6 to 10 feet i didnt get no bites at all then i cont. to go up into the hot ditch i went all te way to the end about 50 or 75 yards from where the bridge is after u go under the pipe and i diidnt get a bite a nibble or nothing. i had fun though the lake is real nice the people or super nice, i got some gold fish, took chicken liver, shrimp, live bream and i used cut bream and nothing was going on maybe what i need is to get up with some of youll real cat fisherman to maybe take me fishing so i can see if im doing something wrong. But thanks everyone for the help

11. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    now you can say you have fished sutton lake :wink: you tried some good spots maybe next time they will be biting good luck thats just the way those fish do you

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, that's what happens sometimes on old Sutton. You ain't fished much out there if you haven't been skunked. They can be some odd fish. Catch the crap out of them one day and then go out and not even get a sniff.

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    we used to bass fish there a couple times a year and we nick-named it "suckin lake" because you might go there and catch them or you might go there and not get a bite.

I've only catfished it once and that was with jugs last summer and i think we got 1 bite. I'll keep trying though.