New to fishing for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by santeecat12, Jun 30, 2006.

1. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    hey yall i am just now getting in to catfishing.im determened to catch a big flathead so my quistions are what would be good baits,good hooks sizes,line sizes,how mutch weight to use(im fishing in a river with pretty good current.any info yall have will be appreciated.

btw,i go fishing with my neibor countrycat15,we fish southpoint boat landing in lake wylie nc,and under the upper armstrong bridge in the south fork river,nc.if any body fishes these spots plese tell me what kind of bait works best for yall,and how big of a cat yall have cought there.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sometimes I fish in swift rivers too its according the speed of the river your fishing what sinker to use I keep 30 pound test on my poles and I use eagle claw sharp point hooks, and most river if there real swift ill use a 3oz sinker to make it sink. Best advice I can give you is that the best bait ive been successful with is cut bait, like fresh cut chubs in strips, or I use blue gill heads. I wish ya luck man and dont give up and you will catch one.

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey harley when you get your tidewater i will teach ya what i know and we will go out hunting for the big ones at the river.:boss:

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thank you...i hope we catch the big ones:big_smile_2:

5. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Harley,We fish the southfork ,sometimes around the lower armstrong bridge, My grandaughter,(about your age ) last sat nite,caugh a 22 lb 4 oz flathead on a white perch,about 6 inches long. We fish all up and down Wylie,and put our boat in at South Point Landing, If you see us,come over and say hello, It's a pontoon called the (GIT-R-DONE) Looking forward to meeting you little brother............steve (use cut bait, shad ,bream,white perch, crappie, also large grasshoppers and cataba worms)

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is what I use, shakespere ugly stik tiger rods, Penn, abu and shakespere reels, generally 30-lb berkly biggame line, 8/0 gamagatsu circle hooks, 8/0 King Kahle hooks..Bait Fresh cut bait, or live Bluegill...Weights up to 8-oz sinker if the current is strong.

7. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    thanks for all your help guys.i should be on to some flatties soon.:big_smile:

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    good luck in catching some of those flatties. and i use live bluegills, and goldfish seem to work well in my area as well but im in ohio.

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Hang right in there Harley! That big flattie is just a smile away.:ah: :big_smile_2:
    Don

10. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Good luck catching the big one buddy...:big_smile:

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good luck I hope you catch a monster. Sounds like these guys have got you covered on baits lines reels and everything else. Now just sit back and wait for your rod to double over.

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Patience is probably the number 1 weapon in your arsenal.