new to fishing/catfishing - question on reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by miles, May 14, 2018.

1. bowhunter63

bowhunter63 Member

State:
    Springfield Mo
    Abu 6500 or Cattmaxx both are really strong and dependable

Fishbones and Blade4130 like this.
  2. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    I agree with Blade but I have no exp. with that Revo. I do have experience with a Penn FTH30SD as well as the KastKing Rover 60, and they've proven to be excellent cattin' reels. I'm also about to buy a Penn Squall15SD for surf fishing. Penn is my favorite reel, either conventional or spinning, followed by KastKing.

HaskelCat and Fishbones like this.

3. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    You will love the squall 15

django and Zigarro like this.
  4. miles

miles Member

State:
    nj
    Name:
    miles
    hey guys, i ended up ordering another rippin lips rod. this time in medium light. I will use the revo winch with the rippin lips ML, the abu 6500c3 cat with the whisker seeker MH, and i still have the rippin lips medium which i use my old spinning reel on.

i figure the ML rippin lips will be my play around rod and my others i am going to try to build some kind of a rod holder and fish with all 3 at once. or maybe alternate until i pick a true favorite

thanks for everyone's help on this. it really made my decision much easier

Fishbones, Catpaw, SteveMcK and 3 others like this.
  5. Zigarro

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    There doesn't have to be a favorite~ each rig has different capabilities. That light rig is perfect for catching blue gill or skipjack bait and the mh rig can target serious cats while the spinning rig can go after bass or whatever presents. RippinLips was a great, value choice!

HaskelCat and Fishbones like this.
  6. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    That winch still has alot more power than most round reels in the catfish market. The revo is simply a better product. Keep and use it for locations that do not require long casts. Alot of cats can be caught dropping a line vertical below the boat. The ONLY drawback on the winch is the line capacity.

Beastly Backlash and Fishbones like this.
  7. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    6500 only has 15 lb drag, The revo has the same power as the 7000 model abu round reels.

Fishbones likes this.
  8. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    Absolutely. I can't even cast the one I have for crap but I refuse to let it go. I use it one the kayak and drop it off the side lol.

9. Zigarro

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Can't understand that, Clint; is it the non-lw star drag 15? Those have dual brakes: centrif. pins and magnetic, and they're reportedly the easiest model to cast.

10. Fishbones

Fishbones Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Nick
    It's good you made a decision. Now just get out and go catch some fish.

11. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    Yes it's that one. I also had the 25n and sucked with them too.

12. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    To start things off, the Revo Winch you have will make a good channel cat reel, spool it with 20lb Sufix 832.

No need to worry about the frame either, it is a one piece aluminum frame.

The rods are fine, though not my preferance for big channels.

13. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Here is my in depth response.

Don't worry about gear ratio.

- Use the rod to move the fish vs cranking them in with the reel.
    - Faster reels are actually a better option the slow reels when you need to gather line and move fish quickly, especially when bank fishing. I personally don't like any reel with less then 30ipt, 40ipt is preferance.
    - Any quality reel is going to have very robust gearing and drive train support in order to handle severe strain when cranking in against resistance.
    - The Okuma Komodo 364SS would be my pick for a lowpro for channels.

I personally like light weight rods for big and small channels.
    - Glass rods can take away from the fun of a fight, composite and graphite rods really make the fight that much more enjoyable.
    - the 8ft medium St. Croix Mojo Cat is what I currently use and is the best channel cat rod made imho, but the 8ft medium heavy or heavy St. Croix Tidemaster inshore rods are great too.
    - The rods you got are good and more then capable, but just not my preferance for feel.

I actually just stick to spinning reels for channel catfish, I use Penn Clash 4000s. It adds to the fun factor.

20lb braid with 20lb mono leaders round out my set-up for channels.

14. Josey1965

Josey1965 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    The Revo Winch is a strong reel...I have one. Mine is delegated to bass fishing but it is a strong reel. It hold 180 yds of 12 pound test mono so....if you went with a 30-40 or 50 pound braid...you would be solid.

They don't have clickers so that is out.

The older revo Toro models had clickers but for whatever reason, abu has decided to nix the clickers on all models.

Your rods are fine....not my personal choices but they are fine.

reels....the low profile is trendy and cool looking but the old round standards still hold their own and still have their place.

I use round reels more than half the time. I have them on designated catfish rods.

I have low profiles on my bass and musky rods that I sometimes use for catfish.

Chunking a wad of bait out, popping the rod into a holder and waiting on a bite does not require state of the art gear....I'm not even sure "state of the art" gear is going to help you one bit....but they look nice and are fun to use.

Low Profiles are very nice for chunking and retrieving big baits....does not mean a hill of beans to chunking out a 12" skipjack for flathead bait and waiting for hours.

You do what makes you happy to go fishing with....but the low profiles are not necessary for catching nice fish

I have some...and I could easily live without them

15. miles

miles Member

State:
    nj
    Name:
    miles
    i got the abu garcia 6500 c3 catfish in yesterday and got it spooled up with some 15 pound mono and took it for a test drive.
    in case anyone cares my opinion (keep in mind i am very new to fishing)...

i think it is an amazing reel. the adjustment is pretty easy to get it setup to not backlash. i only fished for about 2 hours, and really i was more casting and reeling in to get a feel for the reel then actually trying to fish.

i was able to put the hook where i wanted it, for the most part. i got a couple of backlashes early when trying to find the sweet spot between to tight and too loose. i didnt actually find it yet. however, it was starting to rain and i wanted to get home for dinner. i suspect the next time i go out, i will find it.

comparison to the revo winch i got....
    the revo winch is much lighter to hold, easier to adjust, and i found that "sweet spot" after two casts. For some reason i am able to cast much further out with the revo, but i suspect that will change once i get used to the 6500c3. I definitely prefer the thumb button over the side button. Obviously these are just my personal opinion and i am not saying that either is better or worse, just i like the feel of the revo better.

overall, i think i prefer the revo winch over the 6500 c3 as far as feel and casting, but honestly, i havent caught any large fish on either yet, so this is a to be continued...

VanKley, Fishbones and Catpaw like this.
  16. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Couple things about the 6500C3.

When adjusting the casting brake, you are removing the entire side plate assembly of the handle side of the reel, right?

The centrifugal brakes come greased up from the factory, make sure to remove all the grease from the brake assembly.

Your 6500C3 should be able to put the Winch to shame; I have used the both.

17. miles

miles Member

State:
    nj
    Name:
    miles
    i was only using the outside brake. i didnt take the reel apart. how do you know how much to do on the inside of the reel brake?

18. Zigarro

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Youtube is a good starting point.

19. miles

miles Member

State:
    nj
    Name:
    miles
    OK, i definitely have a problem with buying gear.

i ordered the revo toro beast 60, which i read here and other places as a much better reel vs the regular revo winch i got.

Amazon, had it available on the warehouse deals section with as new but box damaged for almost half price of what bass pro shop was selling it for. to save that much money, i wouldnt care if it doesnt even have the box.

20. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    That can happen. Lol!

Sometimes, just getting on the water and fishing with what you have will tell you exactly what you need or want.

The Revo Toro Beast is indeed a really nice reel and should work well for catching any freshwater fish we have in North America.

Last edited: May 18, 2018