New to catfishing

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by newcat, May 18, 2008.

1. newcat

newcat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I am new to catfishing (have fished for bass my whole life) and would like some advice. Where are some good spots south of indy?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Welcome to the BOC.Not familiar with the Indy area but theres alot of guys on here from your area.

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC from West Lafayette. Glad to have ya.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WELCOME TO THE BOC , SORRY CAN'T HELP YOU WITH THAT ? BUT THERE IS SOME BRO.'S THAT CAN AGAIN WELCOME FROM SO. ALABAMA

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dominic,
    Welcome to the BOC and the world of catfishing.
    That's a pretty open ended question.
    There are a lot of places south of Indy from the White River all the way down to the Ohio River with many other rivers, creeks, lakes and ponds in between.
    What are you looking for, running water, still water, big water, small water? Are you looking to catch Channels, Flatheads or Blues? Eaters or trophies?
    Do a search on Indiana and check the Indiana sections and see what comes up that appeals to you.
    Don't be getting rid of that bass gear, you are going to need bait:wink:
    ...W

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Newcat Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You will love this brotherhood.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

7. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Welcome to the BOC from Tucson Arizona. Lots of info here on anything you can imagine.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't know of a waterway in Indiana which doesn't have catfish in it. Any river, creek, lake, or pond in your area should have catfish in it. Since your new, fishing for channels might be a better way to break the ice unless your wanting to get right into flatheads.

The fish are either on the spawn or close to spawning season. Best bet is to fish shallow areas with good cover (timber, grass, gravel, concrete, etc.), places where the catfish will go to spawn. During this time of the year I tend to have good luck fishing for channels using a bobber which is about 3 feet deep using cut bait. As for cut bait, it depends on where you are fishing. If the main forage of the waterway is shad, use cut shad, if its bluegills/sunfish, that's the direction you want to go in. Selecting cut baits is a lot like selecting lures for bass fishing based on what the main forage of the waterway is. If you are fishing rivers around this time of the year, bridge piers are generally a hot place for spawn season channel cats. Fish the slack water behind the piers. If the current in the area is heavy then fish the bottom, but if it is slower the bobber presentation will work well.

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    A big Texas welcome to ya! Check out the library when you get a chance.

10. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Welcome, glad to see you made the switch from the dark side. You will love catfishing, and the BOC has everything you need, most of all it has some best people around.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    welcome aboard Nick, Monroe Reservoir has some good size channel cats down by Bloomington. I hear a lot of good things about the White river also. Good luck

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome tu the BOC ,Come down to the Ohio River !!!

13. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    welcome to the boc try the white river

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Nick.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Nick!!!:big_smile:

16. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC nick just give us a little bit more of a specific area south of indy your trying to start in. I fish all around indy and anywhere south so just let us know im sure some of us brothers can steer you in the right direction.

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Somebody already mentioned Monroe. It is a great channel cat fishery. The average channel will weigh 7-8 pounds, which is much better than our average fish on the Ohio River. Monroe also has a flathead fishery. Any tree you see that is down will have a flathead or two on it (in my experience). We catch alot of flatties in the 10-15 pound range on live bluegill or shad, just fish close to the structure. Our real big boys (over 30 pounds) out of Monroe all come on crappie. Use a 6-7 inch crappie and clip it's tail so it swims eratically and keep it anchored with a 3-4 ounce sinker.

Last year my buddy caught a 58 pound flathead out of Monroe, he caught it on a *gasp* largemouth bass *gasp*. Before anybody complains, using gamefish for bait is legal in Indiana! They just must be caught on rod and reel and meet minimum length requirements.

But for big big fish, you can't beat the Ohio River, plus I like fishing current better than still water.

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Nick! Lots of good spots on the White south of circle city, locations depend on if you are bank or boat fishin?

19. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    NEWCAT WELCOME TO THE BOC MY FRIEND.:big_smile: YOU ARE NOW A BROTHER IN THE BROTHERHOOD. COMING TO YOU FROM NORTH CAROLINA. SORRY NO INFO ON INDY BUT HOPE AND WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR CATFISHING ADVENTURES!!:tounge_out::roll_eyes: YOU KNOW THERE IS A OL SAYING. WHAT BASS FISHERMAN VIEW AS A TROPHY WE USE AS BAIT!:big_smile::cool2: COM ON'

20. newcat

newcat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I am thinking about fishing the White River in the Martinsville area. Anybody fish there or any of the surrounding boat ramps?

Again, thanks in advance.