New to catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by reelmagic, Sep 12, 2007.

1. reelmagic

reelmagic New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just wanted to give a shout out to all my fellow fisherman to say hello and that I'm excited about becoming a new member of the BOC. This site is outstanding and chocked full of useful information. I have fished since a child, but have never fished for cat that much, until a co-worker took me fishing with him to lake Barkley and we caught some nice blues. Well to say the least, the fish were not the only thing that got hooked on that first trip. It was the most exciting fishing trip that I had ever been on. I did not catch any fish over 20lbs, but I witness the catching of blues up to 50 lb.and I can't even begin to express the sense of excitment. After returning home, I went shopping and purchased ABU7000's and rods. I was fortunate enough to learn several things from my friend in the two trips we took. For someone new to this way of fishing it was hard to digest the fact that out of all the big fish that we caught anything over 10lbs he released. After a lenghthy discussion on the whys of catch and release of these monsters, I came to a cold realization that its the right thing to do to insure future enjoyment for all. He explained it to the point that when I released the next nice fish that I had caught, I actually felt good. But you can bet I purchased a cheap disposable camera to carry with me now on any trip I will be taking in the future. When my friend was relocated to Indonesia and I haven't had the chance to go back to Barkley because I don't have a boat. I'm in the process of looking for and purchasing a boat now. This is going to be a blast and I know I have a lot to learn.
    As an interm to getting the boat is there any of my brothers out there.. that could tell me if there are any good places for catching catfish from the bank around the Cheatham dam/lake area, Clarksville, Old Hickory or Percy Priest Areas.
    Thanks again... see you on the water!

2. FDR

FDR Member

State:
    Ohio,Cincinnati
    Welcome to the BOC

3. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the BOC family, Gary. Glad to have you join us.

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC!:big_smile: I would try to offer some helpful advise to you, but I live and fish mostly near Memphis:eek:oooh: I will offer this......while shopping for your boat, make sure its the one you like, because I now have 2 boats at home and the oldest one isnt even a year old yet!!! I just had to have the 1st one.......waited 3 months while it was being made and hand picked out the new Yamaha motor for it and all the goodies......then I REALLY got the fever this summer and JUMPED off a BIG cliff for another NEW boat! Now I have 2!:crazy: I love them both, but the NEWEST one is getting most of my attention right now, while the "old" boat sits in the garage!:sad2:I guess you see the point of my story!lol! P.S. I have a WONDERFUL wife!!!!:confused2:

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    wecome to the boc gary good luck with them fish

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Gary. I'm a little far off to be of any help to you but I'm sure some one will be along soon with an answer.

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC, Mr. Carney. We're all glad to see someone else getting hooked on catfishing, after all, who wants to catch a 5lb. bass when you can catch a 50lb. catfish(I wouldn't mind catching the bass if I was fishing for bait:smile2:). Search the website and threads well, and you can find about all the info you need. Thanks for letting those big fish go, and good luck fishin'.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. Your gonna love all the stuff available to you on here.

9. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the Boc Gary. Really glad to see that you took to catfishing like a catfish in water. Sounds kinda like me after the first time fishing. Trust me it only gets better Gary

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary Welcome to the BOC.I look forward to reading your post. :0a25::0a18::0a25:

11. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Gary and have a blast. Someday that big one will come so be ready

12. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Welcome GARY! :big_smile:

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcometo The Brotherhood Gary. Lots of good info & people on this forum. :wink:

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!! :big_smile:

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Welcome to the BOC, Gary. You might want to checkout the LBL side of Lake Barkley for bank fishing, I know the Ky. portion of it has alot of bank access. Also look at the small lakes in LBL. Energy Lake and Honker Lake both have big flatheads in them so I imagine Bards Lake in the Tn. section does too.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.

18. Folion

Folion New Member

State:
    tennessee
    welcome to BOC i am new here to and the info i have got from here helps a lott

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC and good luck catting.

20. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Gary!!