New to catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by x575599, Jun 23, 2007.

1. x575599

x575599 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello everyone. I happened across this website and I can not get over the amount of information and the coutesey everyone has to offer here. I am thinking of getting started in catfishing and re3ally do not have a clue as to how to get started. I do have a boat and gear. I have saltwater fished my whole life and I am ready to try something different. I live near the Santee Cooper lakes in S.C. and all I hear is how great the catfishing is. Any suggestions on what I need would be greatly appreciated. I hate to get out on the water and find out I do not have something I need:eek:oooh:. Thanks

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    welcome to be BOC bro. i am from Greenville SC and have fished santee cooper a couple of times. there are some big cats in there. you will need the basics. and good stout rod and reel combo, spooled with your favorite brand of line (mono or braid of at least 25 lbs test) no-roll or egg sinkers (2 oz or bigger) some good hooks 6/0 or bigger of your choice (octopus, kahle, circle), some big swivels, and plenty of fresh live or cut shad or bluegills. other than that a little patience and some practice and you will be out there catching the nice ones in no time. good luck and if you need anything else let us know. there is always someone in here that has an answer or an opinion about anything you can ask. good luck and get out there and catch them bigguns

4. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Ernie,I'm sure youll find all the help you need here. Good luck to you !!

5. bigfisher4life

bigfisher4life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been fishing the Ohio River for at least 7 years now and have had the same type and brand of rods all 7 years for the simple fact that they are the best ive ever had. I usually fish with a 9 or 10 foot Shakespear ugly stick with an Abu garcia 6000 or 5600 and to top it all off i get the braided version of spiderine in about 30lb test.

6. bigfisher4life

bigfisher4life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC bro everything and anything u need to know can be found here!!! Good luck

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ernie Welcome to the BOC. Glad you decided to stop in and check us out. Do a little reading and you will become Hooked on the BOC.:lol::smile2:

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome! If your salt gear wasn't for sharkin or marlin ya are set already.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Ernie.. I'm sure everything you ever wanted to know about catfishing will be at your disposal...:big_smile:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome the BOC, Erine.

12. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    fishslayer about summed it up. the only other thing i might add is some night crawlers.

13. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC, were glad your here!!

14. x575599

x575599 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the warm reception and the info. I will be giving the catfish a shot tomorrow and I will let ya'll know how it goes. As for today I am on the way out the door to boat some Sheepshead and Redfish. Ya'll have a good day.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    welcome aboard ernie! get you some gizzard shad or skipjack and start fishin the ledges and you should be alright.

16. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ernie.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the brotherhood:cool2:.

19. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Welcome to the boc

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Welcome to the BOC. You certainly have very good catfishing in your area and big ones too. Some of the popular and favorite gear we use are Abu Garcia (6500,7000),and Penn (209,309,310gti,320 gt2),baitcasting reels. Ugly Stik Tiger rods or Catmaxx rods are good. We have a couple members here that buil hand-crafted rods for catfishing, "Gator" and "Blackhorse83". My favorite hooks are Eagle Claw 10/0 King Kahles, Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circles and Daiichi 7/0 Circle Chunk Lights. Skipjack and shad are very good baits for Blue cats and live bluegills,suckers and creek chubs work good for flatheads. Check out our sponsers for more gear and tackle available to the members. I have one of the Coffee Marketing digital scales and love it, (money well spent). Good luck