New to Catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by yotetrapper, Mar 1, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I moved from a part of NY where the only catfish type fish were bullheads, to here in Illinois on the banks of the Mississippi. In NY i fished bullheads with a small sinker, an egg hook, and a worm on 6lb test with a $20 Wal-Mart rod and reel. I'm gathering Catfishing is a whole lot different. The man im marrying knows how to catfish and has taught me what i know now but i'm always open for more ideas and advice (i wanna outfish him now that i've outtrapped him). He has a boat but we dont get out much so most of my fishing is bank fishing (which i think i like better anyways, is what am used to). So any tips, tricks, and adivde is welcome... starting with what rods/reels, hooks, line and sinkers y'all prefer. Thanks

Angela

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Angela... Everything you ever wanted to know about catfishing can be found right here. While you're at it, did you sighn up to win the roses..?

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know.

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome too the B.O.C good to have you!!!
    I'm sure if u read reel, rod and tackle reviews from this site you will be well on your way.

:cool2:

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC. Be sure to check out the library it is a wealth of information. Then just post away and ask questions.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Angela. There are some really good post on everything your looking for in the library and you can read some very good post by going to the bottom of your screen and selecting a catagory. A lot of the information is going to begin with what size fish are your targeting in the waters you fish.

In most cases a med/heavy 6'-7' rod will get the job done. As far as line, i'd recommend 20lb mainline with a min. of 50lb leader. Brand is up to you as they will all get the job done and there's more of a personal preference.

Hooks is another one if you ask 20 people on here your gonna get 20 different answers. I'd prolly start out with a 7/0 Kahle hook.

Live bait or fresh cut bait is your best bet for bigger cats. In my area I have easy access to perch and use them live and as cutbait.

Hope this helps a lil and i'm sure you'll find all the answers to your fishing/hunting questions here or in the library.

Welcome again to the BOC.

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    did i sign up for what roses?

Oh and thanks for the advice guys. will have to check out the library when i have more time. Thanks again

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Hey there Angela, Welcome to th B.O.C. Check out th library for your questions. There are hundreds of set ups u can use to catch cats. Circle hooks are very popular, as u dont have to set th hook, it sets itself, if baited properly. I like to fish w/slack line. That way I give th fish time to put it in his mouth an run w/it for a few seconds. I dont use much weight, mainly a couple slipshots, or "BB" weights, not much tho. I have noticed that if they feel tension, they drop it....QUICK. Also, I would tell you to go to bait stores close to th waters you r goin to fish, gather up info from th workers there, the anglers will usually brag a lil to them,I know, cuz I do,lol. Talk to as many ppl as you can who frequently fish th waters you wanna fish, that and trial and error will be your best teachers. Promise. Also while he is at work, make up some chum,and go out ahead of time and bait out a hole. dog food works good. Put some in plastic zip lock baggies, weight it down w/a few small rocks, and b4 throwin out, pop a few small knife holes in th bag. if u suse this, live or cut shad or minnows work well. like i said, there r tons of tips in th library to. hope this helps, hope you out fish him, I know my wife out fishes me dang near every time out,lol. Good fishin.

8. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i think you missed out on the roses an as for your rod an reel setup is just depends on the size of fish you are after as of a year ago i was catching small fish in the 10lb range now go an take a look at the fish that i caught last week its in a post under Ind.river talk a good day on the ohio river this place is a blast an a lot of good people here to learn

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Angela,
    Welcome aboard! You'll have a ball on this site. You'll make more friends and do more fishing than you ever thought you would. Like someone said earlier, just ask question, ( and believe me, there are know supid questions) you'll get more infor. than you can imagin.
    Sparky

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to the BOC!:cool2:

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Angela yer gunna luv it here!!!:big_smile:

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc angela , if you manage to remember and use everything you learn from this site youll outfish the ol'man in no time

14. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the boc . There is alot of information here on those tips you want.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to BOC, Angela. My main rig is a Abu 6000 baitcasting reel, 20 lb test line 7' foot MH rod, I use a. drop shot rig.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Angela glad to see yet another gal on here I still cant get the wife to join but that dont stop me from tryin. youll find a wealth of info here and dont forget about the hunting section either allways love to hear other trappin folks tips

17. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Nice to see a pretty face that doesnt have "whiskers"!!! Welcome aboard.

Dru:smile2:

18. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Welcome Angela, this is an awesome site and like they said if you want to learn when, where, how and why then this is the site to come to. I also am still a semi nubie and live around the Mississippi River in O'FALLON Illinois just about 20 miles from St. Louis.