New To Catfishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Yankee13, May 14, 2006.

1. Yankee13

Yankee13 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey all, just wanted to drop a line and say thanks for all the helpful information in this group. I grew up near a river in Michigan, that I fished every day from about age 6. Now I'm stationed here at Seymour Johnson, and don't have a boat but would love to start fishing these big cats I hear so much about. I've tried a couple bridge areas, with little success, and was wondering if there were any other public access areas I could get to and maybe walk in on foot. Thanks again, and look forward to getting started.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I am not from your area but am sure you will get an answer to your questions.

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC and to NC Chip!

While I can't help you with the area you are in, there are a bunch on here that can and will. That is one of the things that make this site such an awesome site.

Where did you live in MI?

Good luck on the fishing.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll tell ya a little secret about the Neuse river and bank fishing.
    Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that owns a fishing rod has bankfished around the bridges.
    The best bet is to park at the bridge and walk the river to the point the bank path is all gone before fishing.

I'm on the other side of the river from you. Bentonville area. 20-30 minutes from Goldsboro.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC!!! You will find this place handier than a Pocket on a Shirt!!!

6. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Welcome to the BOC ! Good information for anything you want to know !

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    not sure about bank fishing near there but if your up for it, I am always fishing from my boat in the Kinston/New Bern area and your more than welcome to come along. Welcome to the best catfishing site in the world.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    WELCOME YANKEE13 and good luck!!! If I could offer any advice it would be is to have patience it takes just a little time but you"l learn in no time with all the thats here at the B.O C. Bigcatman0816.

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    welcome aboard Yankee13

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Neuse is shallow and has very limited access in much of its course.
    Me and another member have found that you have to work a little harder to get to the places where no man has gone before so to speak and we catch fish.
    All of your bridges on the Neuse will see alot of bankfishing along with the immediate area surrounding the bridge as you can tell by the foot paths.

I know we have gone without fishing tackle just to scout out some places to bank fish on the upper Neuse where a boat dont stand a chance unless it is a kayak or canoe.
    I've had a canoe / kayak designer design a type of canoe especially for the upper Neuse according to my specifications.
    I want to build a few of these cheap to build boats just to float between bridges to scout out sandbars for bank fishing and to get to and from these fishing spots in otherwise unboatable waters. We have some monster flatheads up here that aren't pressured at all because of this.
    We are going to get to them and away from everyone else and the bridge parties.
    There is plenty of the Neuse that only sees the occasional canoe passing through on a Saturday afternoon.

12. fishin`fool

fishin`fool New Member

State:
    north carolina
    welcome yankee i will agree with mark j i live about 15 minutes from you and work about 3 minutes from you at ash st automotive the best spot to bank fish i would say is to go to richardson bridge and walk to a sand bar good fishing around there not much traffic at all on or around the water get up with me some time i can tell you more !:cool2:

13. slabinator

slabinator New Member

Welcome Yankee 13. This a board is a great source of information.

14. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yeah im new to the BOC too, i just made of few posts earlier today and already got some help :big_smile:

15. Yankee13

Yankee13 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks again for the help. Scouted a couple of places this week, looking forward to trying them out.

16. Yankee13

Yankee13 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Fishin' Fool....where is that bridge you're talking about...I drove all over south of town today...no luck finding it....suppose a better map would help.

17. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wecolme chip, great site. always good to hear people getting back into catfishing. good luck bro.

18. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    hey chip, i'm little south of you, but those guys are right about the neuse. the cape fear up your way is so heavily fished and shocked it would be hard to find a good spot on the bank, you have to travel a long way from the boat landings, good luck!

19. fishin`fool

fishin`fool New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yankee if you will give me a call i will give you directions to it my number is 738 9106 look forward to talking to ya :smile2: