New to catfishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jargo1, Jul 25, 2009.

1. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    First, I have to say this is a great site with really helpful info.

The only places I have to fish locally are small pay lakes that have channel cats. Looking for adivice on a rig set up with some pics hopefully and anything else that would be helpful for a beginner.

Thanks!

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    welcome to the boc.

Most any rig will work for channels. Channels do not get that big compared to the types of cats. I would say on a pay pond that a 7ft pole with a med action and 20lb test would do you just fine. Rig it carolina style bait it with some cut bait and have a blast.

3. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Ditto on Mark's post. Welcome to BOC and have fun!! :smile2:

4. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to BOC

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC

6. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia

Thanks for the info and props on your hat.

With a Carolina rig, does the bait just lay on the bottom?

7. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    Yeah, and make sure ur leader is smaller line than ur masin line. 12 to 14 lb would probably be ideal, just incase u get hung up, all u'll loose is a hook, instead up ur whole set up. Welcome to the BOC!

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    During the summer time you don't want to fish a pond with your bait on the bottom.Ponds stratify during the summer and the bottom is too oxygen depleted for cats to stay down there..They will be suspended off the bottom..I would recommend a slip bobber rig..There probably gonna be only 4-5 ft deep right now..Welcome to the BOC.

9. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks! I have been reading about a slip bobber rig, any thoughts on a bobber with a brain? If not that, what size of a float should I use?

10. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I tried the bobber with a brain and found that there is nothing really special about it..I use a 12" cigar float..But check out the ones here
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/katbob.htm
    I've been wanting to try these but haven't had the funds to buy a couple yet..

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use to fish a lot of ponds that were stocked with channel. In the summer time, it is hard to catch them on the bottom, but I use a small bobber, and chicken liver. I usually use split shot, just enough to sink the bait, and to keep the bobber from floating around to much.

12. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC! Check out the member library, there is tons of great info there that will get you started in the right direction.:wink:

13. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ok, so I went to the pay lake last night, used a slip float rig with various different baits (livers, red chicken, shrimp, night crawlers) and not a bite in over 7 hours. I did't see a lot of fish caught last night, about 10-12, but seen several swimming close to the bank.

Any suggestions from anyone?

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jack. Fish the shallow water on the bottom.

16. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Try some more natural bait..If you can get your hands on some bream or even better some skipjack that would probably help..Try some minnows too or some creek chubs..Live or cutup it don't matter..

17. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    :0a25:to the boc/soc...for channels well first off if you use spinning reels I would just get a cheap 7 ft. medium-heavy action rod with a decent size spinning reel..(Shakesphere Tigers are good, and Ugly Stick Catfish combos would work). Then carolina rig it with a weight of you choice in a lake a 1 oz. egg sinker or no-roll ir which ever styl sinker you prefer and a dip bait worm and use your choice of dip bait. Or a treble hook and chicken liver or even a circle hook with a piece of cut bait! If you into Baitcasters you cant beat a bill dance rod...they have them on sale at bass pro now for $50 i would get the pond combo for channels...Other wise if you dont like bill dance get a Abu Garcia 6600 BCX and a rod of your choice. do the same rigging...and use 15 to 20 lb line on those. :0a26:

18. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    With a Carolina rig, do I need to use a small float on the leader to float the bait off of the bottom or can cats pick it up from the bottom?

19. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes you can use a float on carolina rig to keep it off the bottom or you could use a three way rig which I find works better with live bait.

20. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia

I will give this a try next week. I may also use another slip float set-up on a second pole. I seen a lot of tall floats (6-8 inches), where can I find those?