New to catfishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dbtrail400, Jun 22, 2009.

1. dbtrail400

dbtrail400 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey everyone im new to catfishing and in need of some advice. I went out last night on the maumee river and didnt have any luck. I fished near the water treatment plant in perrysburg for a few hours, and just used worms. I was wandering where you all like to fish and have had some luck. I can only fish off the bank as i dont have a boat. I dont expect anyone to give up any secret spots but somewhere where i can get started. Im planning on soon going out to catch some bluegills to fish with. Anything right now would be very helpful. I have read all over this site and its already been a huge help. Just need some locals to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    dbtrail400, first off Welcome to BOC, you wont find a better group of people and knowledgable at that, if you cant find it here or get some answers here, then your not asking the right question that is for sure, your heading in the right direction, live or cut bait, gills, suckers, chubs, shad, etc..., live or dead, but majority of the time flats will hit live, channels hit pretty much anything under the sun, blues is usually cut bait, the best advise i can give is scout holes and spots, and fish fish fish, and dont be affraid to use small medium or large baits, there are plenty of catfishermen from that river area that could give you great pointers and get you going in the right direction and might even have you join them for a nights hunting of big cats, once again welcome to the BOC and enjoy...

Brandon aka: CatFuStyle

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the Boc, im not local to you so i wouldnt know :smile2:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Not from your area but welcome to the BOC.

5. marcusbigdaddy1

marcusbigdaddy1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hi. me and my kids do very good along this area. We use larg minnows, and bluegills.Shad is about the best bait to use.I like to catch shad in nets all around the lake and river.If ur needingf a fishing buddy me and my son do pretty good, theres allways room for friends. I dont think weve ever been stumped, we cought a 20 lbd flat head yesterday and a 10 lb channel and a 3 lb channell cat. I usualy take the neighborhood kids fishin, Im the only dad in my neighborhood. all of the kids have cought catfish above 20 lbs. just let me know if youd like to go with us... ttyl

6. dbtrail400

dbtrail400 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you so much everyone. Marcus i would love to go fishing sometime with you. My dad and i where planning on going to fish this weekend, maybe we could meet up and show us the ropes. Thanks again everyone!! By the way i agree this is the best site out there!!

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm sure alot of the locals will assist you in that area as myself I'm not familar with it. That being said I sure wish you alot of luck an look forward to some nice pics soon.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I look forward to reading your fishing reports.

9. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have no problem talking about my favorite spots. Not everyone knows how to fish the spot I fish. Also, not very many people make long casts at the river. The only drawback is you get a lot of diehard fishers that will stay in the spot hoping to at least catch something... but that just causes me to find more spots and learn how to fish them. I have started to learn how to read the water and watch how the current flows around a certain area. When you are fishing a spot and you catch a fish from a certain cast....think about where that bait was when you caught it. Then maybe try and cast to that same spot to see if it is a hole or just a fish that happened by. Fishing is fishing no matter the species... there are patterns in the way fish relate to structures and also how they follow the baitfish. There is always a puzzle to be worked out...the more you work the puzzle, the easier it gets and the less time it takes to solve it.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the BOC Jeremy.I don't know that area but I'm sure alot of folks in here can help you.

11. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    current, wood, rock, with cut shad, suckers,live gills!! anywhere between maumee to the 2nd. dam in defiance. good luck and welcome to the boc!! shane

12. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Jeremy
    first of all welcome to the BOC. Second I would look for some structure as in downed trees in the water. Try any kind of live bait. Bluegills,shad,carp,chubs. Plan on spending alot of time on the waterand be patient.

13. marcusbigdaddy1

marcusbigdaddy1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have some of the best luch just upriver from waterville. havnt cought any cats on worms up there.i catch and freez bait if ur needing some. but fresh is allways the best way to go

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    if you have a couple rods i would throw a live gill on one and worm on the other.the worm rod will help pass time while waiting for the flathead bite! just last week my son caught a 11lb. flat on half of nightcrawler:eek:oooh:.still daylight waiting to throw our gills and cut out!! good luck, shane

15. dbtrail400

dbtrail400 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you very much i will soon be going out and trying my luck again. Another question though, when your using live bait how do you rig up your poll. Is it like a carolina rig but with a hook and the bait fish at the end? And how do most people hook the bait fish?

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    First of all, Welcome to the BOC.

Second, you will not go out your first few time catfishing and catch monsters unless you are fishing with x smokin joe!:wink: Most of us have spent countless hours and years finding out where the fish live through trial and error.

My suggestion is spending the next year trying and experimenting different things. After you have learned your river and got acclimated, the catfish will come.

17. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have a spot for ya get some more posts and i will pm ya

18. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    yeah joe can put ya on the monsters up there. i can get ya to a nice bullhead spot and an awesome channel spot. i think joe herds all the biggens into his hole.

19. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would also recommed watching 3 videos... Catfish Fever, Catfish Location Secrets and Flathead Catfish a day on the River.

20. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    you have a new pm!!