new to catfishing!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by twincatfis, Mar 26, 2009.

1. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    hi to everyone on catfish1 im pretty new to cat fishing... just wanted to get some ideas on what the best bait to use around this area and some spots to cat fish in the lincoln area anny tips would help thanks.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC from Fresno California

3. necatman93

necatman93 New Member

State:
    nebraska
  4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Welcome to the BOC, You can use some cut bait or live bait or dip bait,chicken liver , between those choices the live or fresh cut heads will probably produce the most fish, Ive used those baits at a lot of rivers, lakes ponds and they seem to work about anywhere. Good Luck

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Welcome to the BOC.I cant help you on location I'm about 3 hors south of you but get on and read some posts.Theres tons of good info here.

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Hi and welcome! Your best bet is to try turkey liver and small bluegill or chubs. If you want a chance at catching something big always try baitfish.

7. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Welcome to the BOC Mike I'm about 35 miles to the west of Lincoln. Branched Oak,Pawnee are two of the closer lakes to Lincoln and both have some good catfish. Like was mentioned cut bait,stink bait chubs,gills,worms,turkey liver chicken liver, the list of baits that have been used to catch catfish is endless !! If I was you I think I would grab me some chicken liver,and a dozen or two of nightcrawlers and head for the water :cool2::smile2:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
  9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all welcome to the BOC!! New to catfishing? I would target Channel Cats. They have a great attitude and usually bite all day long, even though, the early morning hours and around 10 to 12 midnight seem to be the best bite. Like was said in previous posts, bait choice is endless. I would try chicken liver or some type of stinkbait first. Nightcrawlers are a great choice to, but if panfish are present, they'll strip the bait faster than anything. Livebait is a great choice for targeting big channels or that elusive flathead! Blue Cats can be caught on a variety of cutbait, like shiners, shad, chubs, gills, etc. Be prepared to experiment on the variety of baits and don't be afraid to ask someone for some advice when your fishing.

A great place to check out is Branched Oak! I fished it for the first time and had great success on good channels using blood bait while drifting. Some of the cats where caught on live bluegills too.

Keep asking questions. WE'RE HERE TO HELP YOU! GOOD LUCK!!

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC from NE Okla.

11. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Welcome to the best information highway a guy can get. I just joined last year and have been very impressed with the wealth of information this site can provide not to mention a fishing buddy or two. You are very close to some amazing fishing with plenty of chances to get some real hogs. Try some night crawlers in the blue river, been shaving some luck there. Branched Oak is my hole of choice. A lil cool for there yet but soon enough will be warmed up. Good luck to you and drop me a line if you are in need of a fishing buddy. I'm always ready to go! take care and dont be afraid to ask anyone anything on this site. You can rest assured that a lil research and some questions you will be reeling in a beast!

12. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    hey thanks for the great info! i will be sure to try some of these baits!!! and if i have any ? ill make sure to ask them. now does anyone fish any tourneys around here im looking for a partner? lol

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have fished a trny or two they are fun haven't now for long time the NCAA seem to be a good bunch :cool2:

14. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i thought id get into a few this year.. but i also heard tourney fees run between 40 and 150 :crazy: depending on the tourney.. little ridicules i think...

15. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    lakes or river?? we have some down here on the river

16. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    lakes and rivers and where are you from

17. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member