New to Catfishing Need Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by motodragon2003, Aug 21, 2006.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've all but about given up on catfishing. I got the fever when I landed a nice channel on spawn earlier in the year while attempting to get crappie, but since then I've caught maybe 5 fish. I've gone countless times on 3 different lakes including 2 different $ places where I got skunked as well..........I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've used stink baits, live baits, fished on bottom, used floats......you name it........I've just about tried it.

The 3 different lakes I've gone to are Racoon, Cataract, and Glenn Flint......none of which has yielded anything worth a crud other than a lot of carp at cataract.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    for a lake i would use a 2ounce slip weight with a swivel about 2 ft up then use stopers to help from smashing the knot. then for bait try cut up blue gale or what ever small fish is in the lake, for flats keep it alive.

and have u been doin all of this at night?

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    use chicken liver its been producing for me pretty well!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Best advice I can give you is to not give up. There are plenty of experienced fishermen on this boad who has not caught many cats this year (right Tea?). You just have to keep trying. Perhaps you need to do a little more homework on the areas your fishing - not all waters will have catfish. I mean, they may be in the lake but not the area your fishing. You have to have small bait fish, crawfish, and structure present. Structure may be a log jam, a rock pile, humps or uneven bottom of the lake, anything which allows the fish to feel it is hiding - cats are predators. When you have all of that down, and you know your in a good area, then it boils down to just not holding your mouth right. LOL

5. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah I have been fishing at night, mostly late evening to early morning. I have found the magic hour to be between 10pm and midnight. Thats when I get the most bites but its usually carp.........or nothing that takes the hook.

I've tried hamburger baits....premade dough baits......worm.....live bluegill and the traditional wheatie balls. I've had ungodly smells coming out of my bait cooler for some time now LOL. The only place I caught any cats though really was the $ lake and I'm done forking out 15 dollars for 2 fish.

6. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    just keep tryin and u will get a nice 1!

7. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    The single most irritating thing is that I have had such a bad summer of fishing that I resorted to $ pits to fish. I took my dad a couple weekends ago and the guy sitting 15 feet to the right of me has 2 fish on at a time for awhile. He had a basket full of channels while my dad and I caught 1 in 7 hours...........I asked him what he was using and he refused to tell me........so I went back this passed weekend and there he was again.....different spot but a basket full of fish............me........not 1. Why wouldn't you share your bait recipe??? Its a $ pit, its not like your gonna lose anything out of the deal...........some people.

8. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey moto.... i have been out numerous times this year when i didn't even get a bit so keep your head up. this is fishing not catching. i wish it were catching becouse that when we get excited huh? well good luck brother and welcome to the boc

9. BIGCATMIKE

BIGCATMIKE New Member

State:
    illinois
    there are like 10000 members in the boc , i think , and at any givin time any member would prodably give you any advise you need about catfishing , if you want to learn how to catfish then show up at lake ken tucky on sept 14,15,16,17 for to boc national gathering and there will be plenty of teachers that would be happy to help . good luck and hope to see ya there .

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother, always great to have another new member. Try different baits in different areas. They are bound to hit something.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Josh! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! Catfish move, they don't always hang out in the same spots. Are you trying different locations on these lakes you're fishing? It really depends on what kind of food the fish are eating in the area you are fishing. Generally, flatheads like whole live bait (palm size bream are good) and blues like cut bait (shad, shiners, bluegill....but have seen blues caught on whole also). Channels and bullheads eat a little bit of everything. You're in Indiana, so have you tried skipjack? They work well according to people who live in your state and surrounding states, but we don't have them in NC. Chicken livers, stink bait, etc. aren't something I would normally choose; however, you should do as others have suggested and continue to try a variety of things to see what works the best for YOU.

12. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Wecome to the BOC!! Just keep trying. Where i am the bite is kind of slow right now. Don't give up. When you least expect it you will get on some fish. Good luck!!

13. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida

[/quote] I,m from INDY and i use to have the bait shop at troy and hardin it was call the rod and reel tackle shop. I sold everything for cats and carps. Gold fish and sucker chubs and or creek chubs are the best for flatheads up there. It,s a oily fish and flats like it. If you go monroe or the other lakes that you,ve been going to look for a guy that fishes those lakes named Tim Fox he is my old fishing buddy tell BC told you to talk to him and he will help you out alot. Go to mooresville to kings bait and tackle and ask for tim and he,ll know how to get in touch with him. Cat fishing is slow going all there is to do is set and wait. hope this help. BC (catnabbin)

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man you cannot look at the money side of things when fishing. it will make it worse on you. just remember the good time you spent with family and friends and let the money go. its hard to do but it will get to you if you dont. hey even the best catfisherman have been skunked a many times. they just didnt give up and kept moving around until they found them. stay out of them pay lakes too because they are robbing your local lakes of fish and are charging you to catch them. keep your head up. you will find what works for you. good luck!

15. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the boc, lot's of info in the library.

16. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    First, welcome to the BOC, Josh. Glad to have ya. Second, I'm sorry you went through something like that. All I can say is don't give up. Seems you have good ideas on baits, but don't limit yourself. Hey, it's been slow for me this year, too. Like you, I can't stand to be shut out in an outing. I start runnin' through my head what I may be doing wrong, but the bottom line is in catfishing there are MANY variables. Wrong bait choice. Wrong rig presentation. An already fished-out area, etc. Please keep tryin'. Maybe the second half of the year will be more productive than the first half for you and me.

17. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    welcome to the boc.some places have been slow this year,i normally use live blue gills with a 2oz egg sinker and a 10/0 hook. these past couple of weeks iv been cutting off the tail and dorsal fins off and been having alot more luck.like some of the other members say try differnt baits and differnt spots and it will happen.good luck to you.

18. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Hi Moto! I live in Indy and would be willing to help you out. I fish all over the place...but can usually find a fish or two. This has been a really slow year for numbers....but I have caught 2 of my 4 biggest fish ever this summer. Just shoot me a PM if you wanna go sometime. I work evenings Monday through Friday and I am sure we could probably get Tim B. (another member on here) to join up with us. The guy that Told you about Kings Bait and Tackle and Tim Fox is dead on. I fished a tourney with this guy earlier this year, and he knows his stuff. If you meet up with him, steal one of his Okuma shirts for me...I need a new one. :smile2:

19. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    The best thing I can tell you at this point is to keep digging and trying. This hasn't been the best year for any kind of fishing that I have seen. It just takes time and practice and I am still having to do that to be somewhat consistant.

20. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Buy a good topo map of the lake you are fishing, especially if fishing from bank. If fishing from boat spend some time looking at your graph for cat holding characteristics. Study that topo map. Not all spots are created equally. Sit down ahead of time with your map and pick 5 spots that look good at the lake you are planning to fish. Give each one 30-60 minutes, depending on how long u wanna fish. Keep moving, don't sit around and hope the cats come to you, go find them! just keep on plugging and you'll nail some soon enough! Also, I have been having my most success with shad but I got some hits from some channels last night on night crawler. Good luck and keep us posted!