New to catfishing, need advice.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by fisherman16, Mar 11, 2008.

1. fisherman16

fisherman16 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi, I'm new to catfishing and need some advice. I was wondering what rods and reels you would recommend for a person new to the sport. I primarily bass fish, and only have experience with spinning reels. I would like to get a user friendly baitcaster (with a line-out alarm) and a decent rod all without breaking the bank. I have read good things about the Abu Garcia 6600BC but would like your input. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, does the length of the rod vary if I plan to fish off the bank or out of a boat? Thanks.

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    ask 10 different guys and you will get ten different answers on rods, reels ect. Overall it seams that most ppl really like the abu 6500's etc. not exactly cheap but for the quality it doesn't seam bad. You may look at some of the combo deals bass pro has. they seam to be pretty good all around rod and reels to start with for sure. I think most ppl use a longer rod from the bank.. just so you can cast your bait out farther etc. I've only really gotten into catfishing in the last year so i am far from an expert but i will tell you, on this site you will get pretty much any info you need. good luck.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    John, For just starting out, get a 6500 Abu and put it on a Ugly-stik tiger, medium-heavy for channel cats. If you want to fish 6 or 8 OZ of weight and a 1lb live bait for Flatheads get a 7000 and a ugly tiger Heavy. I only use 7ft 6inch rods. They work great from the boat or bank. The 6500 can reel in 40+ flats, but if you try a 7000 on a heavy rod you'll see the difference.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome i think u made a good choice on the abu's

5. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Welcome to catfishing and the BOC, acess to this place is like being able to ask the fishing gods questions, you will love it.

As you have heard, the answer to this will vary 1000 times.

I have caught a 22 pound flathead, from the bank, fishing with a 7' ultralight and tiny Diawa open faced reel, with 9 pound line, (my preference, baitcasters make some folks not pay so much attention to thier poles, they just listen for the clicker from what I've seen).

And I've caught a 24 pound flathead from the banks with a 10' FishBonz Rod and huge open face reel, set up with 20 pound line.

Now, I will say the 22 pounder took me about 40minutes to get to the shore, but talk about and adrenaline rush! It takes much more finesse to catfish with the light stuff, and fighting them, to me is much more fun and challenging this way.

That 10' rod is like my own personal crane, all you gotta do is set the hook (foolproof using the circle hooks that I love) and bring them to shore!

Let us know what you chose, and how it works for ya!

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I use Abu 6500C3's, I have to agree with S-man though, I really want some 7000's but money is tight right now. But for the money you cant beat the 6500's. On the boat I use 8ft med-heavy action rods, and have a few sets of 10ft M/H rods as well.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    ANge, I am at a loss girl. You talk like you can back it up but I'm not convinced yet lol. Are you saying you can reel in any flathead on your Ultra-lite if its under 25 pounds? Or you just got lucky once upon a time?

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think the reels are the easy part, the abu garcia 6500 C3's are great. I think the rod choice is going to depend a bit on where you are fishing. I have a couple of the 9" CatMaxx poles from bass pro shops, and I like them for fishing from the bank. I personally like a bit smaller pole though for fishing from a boat, like the ugly stick tiger mentioned above at like 7". Personally I don't like the ugly stick "catfish" pole at all.

9. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Skip, call it what you will, I did it, and I will do it again this summer, and then I will post pictures of it to rub it in and brag about it...over, and over, and over.

What I'm saying is I was much more impressed with and proud of myself reeling one in on the light stuff than I would be if I did it with my ten foot set up.

I fish with both, all the time, and always have a third mid sized rig to put in the water when one of the other two isn't.

Men.....

can't they just recognize a girl with skills when they see one?

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    advice for catfishing the main thing to get out and get experience doing it. find a fishing rig you are comfortable with and easy to use. third, find a body of water and get to know it like the back of your hand. you have to get to know where the deep hole are structure feeder creeks timber, rocky pints bridges piers stuff like that i hoped that helped out rick

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Skip ... Angie Girl is right .... I was bluegill fishing in florida with my ultra light with 8 # test and landed 18# channel ... it took time ... none of this "Snatch and Drag" like you tournament fisherman like to do ... Get some fun and pleasure out of the fishing .... I have caught plenty of 12 to 16 # channels on 14# 5 1/2 foot rod and my shimano 100 reel ... even got a 26 pounder on that outfit ........

It depends on what you are fishing for .... channels, blues or flatheads and how patient you are about landing your fish. If you are fishing for channels you can use the same rig you use for bass fishing .... if money is short and you want to make sure this is the sport you are going to enjoy ... use what you got ... go with a little larger hook maybe. Once the fever has set in, then you can decide how big you want to go.

Garry- ..........:eek:oooh:

"That is my opinion and I am sticking to it."

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    jon another piece of advice select a rig that is favorable to the body of water you are fish also rick

14. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    my go to rods are ugly stick tigers with abu 7000 c3's.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can defenelty catch em with light equipment if you know how to use your drag, but I think anything over 40 would be a bit too much. Everytime I go out with a smaller and larger pole the bigger ones always want to attack the smaller pole anyway, even if they have the same rig/line/bait on them. I have found that cats on lighter equipment can be hard on equipment though. Even those "strongest pole in america" ugly stick's have issues. I do love catching a big fish with a small equipment, but I'm not sure how good it is for the fish? I know the bass guys are always talking about how long fights hurt fish in the long run, but damn it is fun! People take cats on fly rods.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like to me she is ready for a showdown with you skip? kinda like me and the flathunter! What do you two say? Big fish wins? lol....yes, I have brought the huge spoon back out to stir the pot!!!! LMAO! rollo:smile2::wink:

17. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    ROFLMAO !!!! .... Garry- :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    come on skip, you can't say no..because you will get run on for that...:smile2:...not taking anything from you Mizzbigcat, because it sounds like you are a well estabolished angler and I think we need more female anglers, I admire that. But, if you would lose by end of the summer to her skip, lol...i promise I won't pick on ya bro!:eek:oooh::wink: rollo

19. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    John, I have some Ambassador baitcast reels that I like and they're not that expensive. Just make sure that you get a reel that is big enough to hold the diameter of line you plan to use and a rod that is rated for the size of line you're going to use and the weight of your sinkers and bait. Here is a website where you can find rods and reels at great prices. Good luck! http://www.tacklewarehouse.com

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Now kids, I'm just messin with her cause she is the only girl we got on the Ohio thread and she seems up to the challenge so far. I bet she could take half of you out this year lol. Just not me. Unless she went out on the boat with me and I put her on some prime Flat spots lol. I'll leave it up to her if she wants to make it a competition.