New to Catfishing Need Advice on tackle etc.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by kypoolsharky, Jul 29, 2007.

1. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Guys I am new to this forum and new to Catfishing. I hooked into a 10 pounder on Cedar Creek Lake in Lincoln county yesterday by accident and now it seems I am hooked (no pun intended)
    I would like to get into this a little more seriously and the first thing I noticed with my accidental catch yesterday (on an ultra light with 4 lb test) is that I was woefully unprepared for such a big fish. I would like to catch even bigger ones but obviously I need different takle. What do you guys reccomend as far as pole size, type of reel, line test strength,hook size/type, rigging methods bait etc to get me going and give me adequate ability to land even bigger ones as I plan on going with a friend to the Ohio river in a couple of weeks and I want to be prepared.
    thanks in advance.
    Sharky

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Welcome to the BOC This is what i use mostly for all around tackle

Rod med/heavy rods jarvis walker
    Reel Abu garcia reels 5000 and 6000
    Line Berkley big game 20 lb test
    Hooks Gamakatsu octupus circles
    weights ounce egg sinkers

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Without spending a bunch of money, I would suggest you start with the following gear: Abu Garcia 6500 reel, Shakespear Ugly Stick Medium Action Rod, 20/ 30 pound test line, small spool of 40 to 50 pound test line for shock leaders, Circle or J hooks size 8.0, package of swivels, needle nose pliers, slip sinkers (1 to 4 Oz.) or snake/slinky weighs, large net, etc. Thats just for starters. Others will most likey offer addtional advice. Mac

4. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I use Med/Hvy or Hvy rods made by uglystik mostly, and I use cajon Red line 30lb test or bigger. AS far as reels go I use Penn 209's, 285's, Ambassador 6500's or Bigger, and TideWater 30L's. You can get a Tidewater 30L and Med/Hvy Uglystik at Wal-Mart for about $60-$65 for both. I use 10/0 hooks but you'll have a hard time finding any that big here. Wal-Mart sells up to 6/0 hooks, which I used for a coulpe trips and they worked ok. I hope this helps you out, Good Luck....

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with alot of what Mac said. One thing I would change though is the slip sinker weights he said. First, go with no rolls because of the current in the river. and alot of times a 4 oz sinker will NOT keep bait on bottom (it will right now as the river is flowing very slow). Have some bigger (8+oz sinkers with ya in case the river is flowing). Also, my most important piece of equupment is a cast net. You can catch some fish on livers, worms, dipbaits, etc but all the big ones will come on fish. Get a net, learn how to throw it and then catch some shad before you start fishing. Bluegill can work too but I prefer shad, but when u can't get the shad, get some bluegill.

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    holy crap! you confused enough yet dude? i don't believe anyone has yet asked what kind of cats you are targeting or where you will be targeting them. that makes all the difference in deciding what kind of gear to buy. i fish the ohio river almost exclusively for big blues and flats and have some very heavy gear for that but you wouldnt need that kind of tackle to fish channel cats in a lake. also, you never stated whether or not you will be bank fishing or fishing from a boat. there again both require different tackle.

7. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I guess my needs are for all types of cats. My trip to the Ohio river will likely just be occasional and I will be mostly doing lake and small to midsize river fishing in my area. (Kentucky river, dix river, Green river, herrington lake, Green river lake and cumberland.) So I guess I just wanted to know good all around gear for general catfishing. The tips have been great. I would still like to know rigging methods though.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Sharky

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    That is why i said for all around tackle . You really need different rigs for each type but if you are like most people you will have to settle for gear that is good in many situations.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Depending on the type of fishing you do(Bank or Boat) I think all the previous post offer good advice.:006::0a22:

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    if you are bank fishing you will first need a longer rod (9 to 12 feet). i know alot of people use shorter ones as did i when i first started catfishing, but you will find that a longer rod has so many advantages over a shorter one ( casting distance, hook setting power and leverage in a fight). and it doesnt have to be big around as a broom handle either. a good medium action rod will do fine.ugly stik makes some very good rods like these. you can find them in cabelas and bass pro. now as far as reels go, you need to get a reel you are comforatable with. i like baitcasters but some people have a hard time casting them. some people like spinning gear which is easier to cast and less of a hassle. it's all up to your preferences. i would stay away from spincasting stuff though. they just don't hold near enough line and the drags are pretty weak. a 6500 is pretty good reel if you like baitcasters. i use shimano corsairs now though. i think they cast better. there are a variety of good spinning reels out there. just look through around. whatever reel you use, make sure it will hold enough line. now to the line. if i were targeting mostly lakes i wouldnt use anything over 20 pound test. i prefer 15 because i can get more line on my reel and improve casting distance. make sure whatever line you use has good abrasion resistence. some like the spectra braids but i am not a big fan. anyway, i hope this helped a little.

11. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    Everybody has some good ideas of what gear to use but I did not read anyone said anything about the BAIT RUNNER feature on the reel. It is a must.:0a23:

12. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What about an open face reel, is that what you guys are referring to as casting reels that don't hold much line?

13. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What is the "bait runner" feature?

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the baitrunner is actually a type of spinning reel that has a feature on it that will allow the fish to move off with your bait and not tighten your line so it doesnt feel resistance and drop the bait. many baitcasters have this feature and it is called a baitclick. it will click loudly when line is being pulled out to let you know you have a fish on. i used to use this feature quite often but now i only use it when fish are biting shy. you asked about and open face reel. some peole call a spinning reel this and some people call a bait caster this so i just call them what they are to save confusion. the reel i was refering to that doesnt hold much line is a spincast. a spincast has a cover over your line. a zebco 33 is a spincast.

15. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ok I have an Abu Garcia open face reel that I put 20lb test on. Is this a good reel to catfish with?

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Chris, equipment is handy & all but what you REALLY need is for an experienced catman to take you under his/her wing and take you fishing. Trust me, you'll learn more in a few trips with someone who's GOOD at catfishing, than you would in 10 years on your own. There's way too much to show you & teach you than can be told through this keyboard. If you'd like somebody to show you the ropes, you're in the right part of the world. The BOC population is pretty thick in your state & I imagine all you'd have to do is ask.

To answer your question to the best of my ability, for regular bankfishing at a lake, I'd suggest rods from 8-10 ft in length & medium to medium/heavy action. I prefer a soft tip on all of my rods, no matter how much beef they have to them. For a reel, if you can cast a baitcaster, then get some Abu Garcia 6000 or 6500 reels & spool them with either 20lb berkley big game or 30 lb. big game. You'll need 1-3 oz. egg sinkers to cat from the bank, as well as swivels and some good hooks.

If you are fishing a tailrace below a dam, then the rules are entirely different. You're gonna need to get bigger in every category, longer rods, bigger weights, bigger hooks, bigger baits, etc. If you're gonna be fishing from a boat, the rods will be different, as well as the business end of your rigging (the weight, swivels, hooks) usually.

Also, go getcha a good cast net & learn to use it. If you wanna catch catfish consistently, you've first gotta learn to catch bait.

If I were you, I'd hit up some of the Kentucky BOC membership & see if somebody will take you under their wing. There's a lot for you to learn.

Welcome to the BOC!!!