New to Catfishing...kind of

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by streetfigherzfan, Jul 23, 2007.

1. streetfigherzfan

streetfigherzfan New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey everyone,
    I started fishing last year, mainly going to Meramec River, in jefferson county, mo. Haven't had to much luck catching anything, except snags on the bottom of the river, have been going to state parks, like Suson Park. Anyone ever fish at those places above? With no luck, i cant figure out if i am doing something wrong. I have been using Chicken Livers and somekind of dough bait that are in balls (with no luck) and now i bought a stink bait that comes in a plastic jar (sorry cant remember the name right now)
    I keep seeing people catching fish, its pretty discouraging when half the time I dont even get a bite.
    by the way...i have been reading the posts from other people, so i am going to try some of there suggestions

Dan

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome to the BOC Dan. it can be discouraging when your not catching fish, but it makes it worth it that much more when you do hook one.
    one of the main things most in the family will attest to is that fish eat fish.
    choice of baits range from live to cut, minnows to 18" skipjack and everything in between. if you can't get ahold of fresh fish. shrimp tends to work well and the all popular nightcrawler (crawlers are fun cuz everything will hit them.)
    as you read thru all the posts, you will see over 100 baits and about the same number of ways to present them. just find what works for you and post us some pics of the bigguns.

3. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    DAN WELCOME TO THE BOC

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan Welcome to the BOC.I look forward to reading your post.:0a23::0a25:

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Dan welcome to the BOC,hang in there you'll hook in to cat's soon enough. There is alot of great information on here to help you out.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from another Mo. member Dan.

7. streetfigherzfan

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the welcome, I am going to try some minnows and i thought about trying shad. I haven't actually looked for it, (so don't yell, if its a question that has been answered numerous times) but how you you guys go about not getting Snagged on rocks and trees on the bottom of the river?

thanks
    Dan

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Getting snagged can be a good thing if you look at it the right way:wink: Catfish tend to hang around structure, so if you're snagging, you might be in the middle of some prime habitat. A lot of people use a 3 way rig with one line being the same test as your main line with the hook on it and the other being a much lighter test with your sinker tied to it so if your sinker snags, you can break it off and still keep your hook. Are you using treble hooks? If so, that could be contributing a lot to your snagging problems. When I use livers I use a regular hook, but wrap the liver with plain old sewing thread after I put it on the hook to keep it on the hook when I cast and to keep from getting my bait stolen. You don't need to tie any knots in the thread, just wrap the liver to the hook shank with it. Also a lot easier to get the hook out of the fish when you do hook into that monster.

I've never fished the Meremec, but if it's a smaller river, look for a shady outside bend. There should be a hole there and if there are some trees or brush down in it the channels should be hanging out there. Good luck!

Branden

9. streetfigherzfan

State:
    Missouri
    Cool thanks, i was using treble hooks when i used livers, i actually tried the sewing thread to hold it on sunday. Never thought about putting the liver on a regular hook with thread :006:

Thanks for the suggestions
    Dan

10. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to The BOC Dan.:0a23:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Dan welcome to the BOC!

12. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    Instead of thread i find regular old nylons works pretty darn well. I find myself chopping up garlic and chicken liver the day before and making little nylon balls of bait.

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome from Florida..let us know when you get that first biggun...

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.