New to catfishing - I need a baitcaster combo?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfishmania081, May 5, 2006.

1. catfishmania081

catfishmania081 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    i new to catfishing only started fishing last year an i was wonder what is the best bait casting combo under $100 i need one with strong back bone and between 6'6 and 8 ft.

2. catfishmania081

State:
    Indianapolis

3. Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The first rod/reel combo I started with was from wally world. I got a shakespeare 600 big water combo. Its a spincast, but worked really well. I got the combo, some eagle claw lazer sharp hooks, sinkers, leaders, and spiderwire 50lb braided line for about 100 even, so that would be a decent one to look at starting with. Hope this helps. Also, Bass pro shops has combos on sale all the time, and if you get one of their credit cards online you get reward points towards more fishing gear, which you will definitely use. Try their website at www.basspro.com Enjoy and welcome to the BOC.

chris

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    get you a shakesprear tidewater 30la reel, and a berkley big game rod...you can get that at walmart for about 60 bucks, and that would be good, for flatheads, channels, and blues...welcome man

5. catfishmania081

State:
    Indianapolis
    thanks i will try there web site i also hear about cabelas going to try them too

6. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I went to Academy and got an Ambassadeur 6500 C4 reel and then went to Wally World and got a 7' Ugly Stik Catfish rod. I think it is a great combination. For the dollar I think Ugly Stik is hard to beat. Your mileage may vary.

7. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC! I have an Ugly Stik 7ft MH Tiger, with an ABU 6500 C3 and it works great. The price is alittle more than you want to spend but it is well worht the money and can handle all the lil cats and big cats. Check out the Catfish Connection, they are sponsors of the BOC and they have really good deals.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome............................welcome

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i recommend a penn 209 with a 7ft 1piece white ugly catfish under 100 dollars and with it weight in gold i hope this helps

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

11. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
  12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC and I think that wally world or Bass Pro will give you the best buy for your money

13. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to BOC! I have an ABU 6500 C3 that I like to use for channels. It is parked on an Ugly Stik, has a smooth drag and both can be had for under $100.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you think you're gonna be a catfisherman for the long haul you will save money in the long run by spending a little more on equipment now. Get an ABU 6500, and one of the ugly sticks. Tiger,Catfish etc... You wont be dissapointed with the reel and will use it the rest of your career. It has all the features you will need. Line cap,clicker,high gear ratio,and durability.And it can be used for flats, channels , and blues.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC and the world of catfishing!!

Here is the best deal:
    Wal-Mart, Ugly Stik 7'-0" catfish rod, they are white...$29.00
    Wal-Mart, Abu Garcia 6500...$65.00
    TOTAL...$94.00!!!!!!!!!!

With that you will be able to catch any size catfish in any waters.

If you want to save some bucks, then buy the same rod at Wal-Mart, but watch E-Bay for an Abu Garcia 5000. You can usually pick one of those up for around $28-$35!!!!!!!

The Ugly Stik's are the best rods around for the money and the Abu Garcia reels can't be beat for the price. They are easy to find parts for too in case you need to replace worn out items ten years down the road. I have four Abu Garcia 5000's that I bought used and they are at least ten years old!!

16. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am not new at catfishing, because ive been a couple times but these past couple months ive been going quite a bit so i went to the bass pro in clarksville, indiana and bought me a bill dance catfish combo for $45. I didnt think it was a bad deal.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You can get a red abu 6000 and a white ugly stick catfish for under $100 at wally world. will last a long time.

18. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would suggest and ugly stick from your local wally world and an abu off of ebay. i got one and with shipping it came to about 47$ oh yeah and an ugly stick is 27$. you'll have money left over to buy other tackle too

19. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I am in the same boat as you are..im not new to it all but i just started doing it really heavy, no matter what size your after on of the ugly stick catfish rods is in order, i think they are one of the best rods made, I dont plan on catching any world records, but maybe some nice size cats so i have a Zebco 733 on their right now, if your looking for decient sized cats and not the huge monsters this is probley the best way to go.

20. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Walmart has a Berkley Rod Abu Garcia reel combo for around $70 and it seems to be a good starter set up. Good luck with your Catfishing you found the right spot. Take care and God Bless.