New to catfishing! - Help me catch some fish!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by PAcatty12, Jan 3, 2006.

1. PAcatty12

PAcatty12 New Member

State:
    Pa
    I figured that it was time to post sence i cant go out fishing! I was wondering what some techniques u guys use for channels in a river ( the susquehanna )....if it helps i am fishing around Harrisburg/York PA

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nathan,

Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!

Something that might help you get better answers is to be more specific. Are you fishing from bank or from a boat?

3. PAcatty12

PAcatty12 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Bank fishing is all for me for now...im looking into getting a boat in a year or 2

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    PAcatty12,

Welcome to the Brotherhood! Glad to see another PA brother join!

If you get the chance sometime Check out the Pennsylvania Section!

To bait up for channels try some of this:

• liver
    • minnows/shiners
    • bluegill (for the real big ones)
    • stink bait
    • leeches (these can sometimes work! Better when they aren't in season the cats will really like them!)
    • Cut Bait ( bluegill, shad, carp/suckers,)(always check regs;))
    • worms/nightcrawler
    • Creek Chubs!
    • Hot Dogs work, not always though
    • Anything that has gone bad, like bacon lunch meat.

Places to fish:

• Dams
    • Drop offs. They get protection from the currents of the river.
    • Anywhere were water comes into the body of water. It brings air and nutrience into the water.
    I'm not a real expert on spots someone will be around soon to help with that!

They will follow the bait fish!

Try fishing at night. It's my opinion that catfish are nocturnal. Because they follow the bait fish into shore where they feed on whatever they eat. During the day they like to stay deep avoiding the heat of the day. So if your gonna fish in the day go deep!

Heres some other things:

• If you don't already try using some circles hooks. They get the fish almost each time. You don't set the hook no more. The bend it hook grabs him when he picks the bait up and runs with it usually on the side of his lip.
    • Have you ever used a float while fishing? A bober that leaves your bait suspended a foot or so off the botom. Also while going by it makes it more applealing.
    • Catfish mouths are not madeto feed off the bottom like a carp or sucker. They have just gotten that rap over the years. So using a float or a cork so suspend your bait off the bottom should aim in you for sucess!
    This is some of the stuff I have learned from the BOC. I hope this helped you out!
    :0a26::0a26::0a26:

Again welcome aboard. Don't be shy ;)

Josh

5. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    what i ussualy do is use a slip rig. and i use liver, bacon. chubs, cured livers, stink bait. then i ussually hand a bobber on my line on my pole so that line can pass through it when a fish bites. that way when a fish bite it will go up.
    im also from pa but more from the pittsburgh area and thats what i do on the mononguhalea river.

6. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Welcome to BOC,

For channels use a medium/heavy rod with 12 to 20 pound test. Circle hooks are probaly the best choice of hook to use.

Cut bait works good for me when fishing for channels larger than 7 pounds.

The head section, i have learned is the best section to use.

For channels under 5 pounds try stink baits like dips, doughballs, and livers.

Early evening into mid night is probaly the best time to fish with water temps at 50 to 80.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    thses guys pretty much sum it up,but as far as hooks go you will just have to experiment to see what kind you like best.I do use circle hooks but the ones i use the most are kahle hooks,there kinda the best of both worlds.You can let the fish set the hook itself like circles or you yourself can set the hook like you would a J hook.Just use whatever works best for you.

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Darn it!

I forgot to mention that it's all preference!!!

Try different kinds out but most people use circles!

Attached Files:

9. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    welcome to the boc guy hope you enjoy the site i do. sounds like everybody summed it up pretty good alot of different tactics that are sure to work for ya. what i like is to use is punch bait gaurenteed to catch you a mess of channels. use it with 11/2 to 2 ounce no role sinker bout an 18 in. leader with a #1 or #2 ot treble hook,, if your in heavy current it might require more weight youll know. try that out and as far as spots there was some good ones posted good luck to ya.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: PAcatty12, to the B.O.C.

I think that Josh (Gone Fishin 4 Kittys) covered it all. The only thing left to do is to "Get Out There & Get Them"!
    :0a23:
    Let us know how you do when you get out there. :D

Take It Easy & Good Luck,
    Bert :cool:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Remember this about liver. Sometimes fresh works best, sometimes cured works best, so it's best to have both on hand if possible. Cured liver will last a year or more if kept cool though, so if you do take fresh liver along and don't use it, simply cure it and add it to your batch of cured liver.

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I live really close to you! I'll show you some good spots to hook up with some nice channels :) !!!!

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    And as for baits for the Susquehanna, I personally use a lot of raw chicken livers, shrimp, and cutbait. But you just can't go wrong w/ chicken livers in the river! Good luck :) !

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Catfish are predators, but they also have to watch calories. Chasing food burns the cals and they cant afford to waste them. Look for eddies, rocks, deadfalls, wingdams. Anything that causes the current to ease. Watch floating debris floating downstream. See where it holds up or pauses. You can bet there are cats below waiting for a snack. Baits are up to you. Oddly enough cats will eat most anything. I have found golfball sized rocks in their guts at times. Most of all have fun, thats why we all fish.