New to catfishing, but I am hooked!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sherlockian, Jul 25, 2007.

1. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hello to everyone, I am essentially new to catfishing. I can remember setting trotlines and bobber fishing with my uncles when I was a kid, but that was almost 30 years ago. I was primarily a fly-fisher(yeah I usually caught flies instead of fish), until a couple of years ago. The other day while bass fishing with a garlic scented Carolina Rig, something just took off. I had no Idea what it was until about 10 minutes later when I pulled in a 19# Blue Cat. Wow, that was more fun than any fish I have ever caught. Since summer has set in, I am going to try my hand at strictly catfishing. I am currently using my bass rig; Abu 5600 C4, G-Loomis 6'6" MH rod, 15# line. I have used several baits with decent success on Channels and Blues, garlic soaked hot dogs, chicken livers, worms, shrimp, and some dip baits. If anyone has any gear advice I would appreciate it. Oh yeah I fish out of a kayak or from the bank. I've got an old fiberglass boat that I have been working on for a couple of years, but still have a lot of work to do.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    From one Gregory to another Welcome to THE BOC.:0a23: Enjoy the site.

3. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome to the BOC. as for gear advice, check out the member library theres enough info in there to send you on overload.....lol.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Gregory, were glad your here!!

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Welcome to the BOC! You have come to the right place for catfishing advice. Just have a look around you will find plenty of info on the topics you are looking for.

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the HOOD from Boaz Al!! Where are you at in BAMA????

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. from Arkansas.

8. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    :0a25:to the B.O.C. John has it right. The members library has all the info you could imagine! Just be sure not to over do it, that stuff can fry your brain if you're not careful:wink:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Gregory.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, Illinois. You will get all the info you need here. Good luck.

11. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC !

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gregory We Welcome you to the BOC.You will fall in love with this site.:big_smile:

13. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    :0a25: gregory, you have quite a few natural baits you can catch out there that will be great for your catfishing, shad, bluegill, skipjack and if you can get your hands on it, anchovies work great out here in calif

14. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm with Mikey. Try using some natural bait like shad or live or cut bluegill. The fish's taste organs (their skin is covered in taste receptors like our tongues) are tuned into finding what they already know. They will investigate and eat novel flavors but I like to give em what they expect. You've got good catfish gear, you might want to get a few more rods and reels.

15. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome from Tennessee. You will become an addict! :big_smile:

drd

16. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Warning: This site is very addictive. Lots of info on making baits, honey holes to catch the kittys around your area, laughter, gatherings, jokes and etc. Just to many to name. This site is an online family. glad you are a part of it.:big_smile:

17. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC. I have found an extensive amount of knowledge to use here.