New to CATfishing ANY help appreciated!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Shutupnfish, May 13, 2008.

1. Shutupnfish

Shutupnfish New Member

State:
    PA
    My neighbor and I were thinking about getting into some Catfish fishing this summer at night on a local lake. Lake Arthur/Moraine in PA. We would typically be night fishing from his pontoon, the lazy man's way and with the kids. I've been doing some research on chumming, dough bait recipes etc. If you experts have any tips or techniques to share, that would be great! I got some scraps in the freezer of steelhead and walleye remains and plan on trying those out....do those in water night lights work for attracting cats or not? I was also wondering what would be the best all around hooks and rigging methods for the cats. I really appreciate any help gentlemen!! Thanks.

Paul

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC, Paul. Check out the library for some great information, from the Brotherhood.

Enjoy the site,
    Cheryl

P.S. I like your user name! LOL

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Paul!!! :big_smile:

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Fishing Moraine state park you`ll probably catch more channels than anything else so cut bait or chicken livers will produce fish for you. Whole bluegills dead or alive will also work.I use two types of hooks for catfishing, circle and kahle.

5. Shutupnfish

Shutupnfish New Member

State:
    PA

What size circle hooks would safice Zebo? I've heard a lot of good things about the circles, so I'm leaning toward that style.

Thank you for all the welcomes also folks!

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Paul its great to have you aboard, I cant help you much with that lake but if I was you I would try to get you some shad, or small blue gills, and use at night thats usually good flattie bait, but if your catching channels, nightcrawlers, chicken liver, chicken breast soaked in garlic, and shrimp has always worked for me.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Paul.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Welcome to the B.O.C.

9. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Welcome to the BOC Paul :big_smile:

circle hooks work well if you let the fish hoock themselfs.. size depends on the bait you use , i like the gamakatsu circles i use mostly 8/0 but i use some large baits for Flat heads but i also catch my fair share of channels while trying for flatheads.

10. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Paul, Lake Arthur has a ton of channel cats in it. I've fished there alot and i use cut bait allmost all the time. Chicken livers and night crawlers work good but you will catch alot of bullheads with those baits. I use either a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Looking forward to reading your post.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Paul. I'd probably go with the Steelhead cut in chunks about the size of ur thumb on a #2 J hook

13. Shutupnfish

Shutupnfish New Member

State:
    PA
    Thank you so much everyone...Ladies and gentlemen alike!! I'm feeling very welcomed.

Catfish Chaser,

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what about rigging? What do you find to be the best way to rig while fishing from an anchored boat? Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.

I know Arthur very well from all the years of muskie trolling there....I was thinking the road bed around Duck Island would be a good night spot....any thoughts? Thanks again

14. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    The rigging kind of depends with the wind. If its a nice calm night, I don't use any weight. I also like to use floats there. I've caught more 10# plus channels off of floats there than anything else. If its windy I use a carolina rig with a 3/4 oz weight

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Paul - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a23: I like cut Bluegill a lot for Channel Cats! The heads are particularly good! You can catch all the gills you need right at Lake Arthur.

16. Shutupnfish

Shutupnfish New Member

State:
    PA
    Thank you for the info! Okay...One last question!

Does anyone have a good all around catfish dough bait recipe that works well and you wouldn't mind sharing???? I'd probably prefer something fairly easy that the ingredietns are easy to get and easy to make. Thanks for all the info!! If you don't care to broadcast your secret recipe, feel free to PM:wink:....Thanks!

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Paul,

A couple years back, I saw an elderly man making dough balls and putting vanilla extract on them. He was pulling them in one after another. You might try that.

Best of luck,
    Cheryl

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Paul go to catfish discussions on forum home page and click on home made baits and you will probably find what you are looking for. good luck.

19. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    PAUL,

WELCOM TO THE BOC FROM SO. ALABAMA AND GOOD LUCK FISHING

20. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I always seem to catch more channels on cutbait than anything else I have tried, I used to use round steak cut up like cutbait, it works pretty good for channels too as with liver, but you have a tough time casting liver way out, I use a piece of a panty hoe and put the liver inside it then you can really wip it out there, you can dip the beef into vanilla extract to kick it up a notch. But still cut fish will out fish just about any other channel cat bait for me, hope this helps ya Wack a few whiskers. Good luck