New to CATFISH1

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SGTREDNECK, May 17, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey everyone just dropping in to say hi and ask a few questions. I am currently looking for a few rod and reel set ups to target bigger blues on the cumberland river in tennessee. Can anyone suggest some good rods and reels. I use only power pro on the rods i have now. And are two piece poles weaker than 1 piece rods, over the years it seems to me that two piece rods aren't as strong. Will post some pics of the fish I have pulled out. Thanks SGT Shorey aka "Redneck"

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: Andrew to Fishing Heven. (lol)
    No but any thing that you want to know about fishing, or for any kind for fish that swims or if you just want know about anything period - "This is the place"!
    :wink:

:0a23:

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Andrew..I think the most commonly used rods are ugly sticks and as for reel most guys seem to use Abu 's..Power pro seems to be the line of choice also.I use all of these except instead of power pro I use spider wire and cajun red mono..As for one and 2 piece rods I'm not sure abouth the strength but I only use one piece and if its two piece I'll glue them together..Again Andrew welcome to the BOC..

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the board...I believe one piece rods are stronger. I use Flueger Trion 66 bait casting reels with one piece rods at 7 1/2 feet. Will be looking for the pictures. Good luck.

Danny

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    welcome to the BOC i use 7'1/2 ' one peice rods 6500 abu berkley iron silk 30# line

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andrew Welcome to the Brotherhood. I look forward to reading your stories and looking at your pics.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Welcome to the BOC...
    As far as 2 or more piece rods,, I've never had any fail in use.. I make sure the pieces that slip together are clean, dust free, when i slip them together,,and, check them occassionally while I'm fishing to be sure they're snug.
    I have some surf rods that would be hard to transport otherwise.
    I do use mostly 7' one piece rods though!!:wink:

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the brotherhood from Indiana.

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome to the BOC. I have both 1pc and 2pc rods. I mostly use the 1pc rods, they are 7' ugly sticks with Baitcasters on them. the 2pc have spinning reels on them. Just make sure the ferrules are snug and tight on the connection and they should be ok.

11. Tim B

Tim B New Member

State:
    Greenup, Kentucky
    I just trust the one piece rods more...

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I am currently deployed overseas and currently missed most of deer season and winter fishing. Also will miss all of the summer fishing seasons this year, but look forward to getting back around November and getting in the woods and on the water with my new boat. I just purchased a Lowe big jon 14 foot flat bottom with a 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Can't wait to hear more from you guys. "Good luck and catch and release the big ones, so someone else can enjoy them too" SGT Shorey aka Redneck afghanistan

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So call me crazy i didnt think the boat i bought was big enough for winter fishing so i bought a new one. If i wasnt already divorced im sure this would have done it. Will post pics of the new boat asap

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Andrew.

15. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the brotherhood

16. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    ive got both,i think a 1peace lets u feel more,but a 2 parter is nice when it comes to walking with a rod and sometimes on storeing one, but on the other hand, with a 2 part rod youve got to make sure they are put together good or they could FLY apart on you in the middel of a cast, WHILE EVRY ONE IS LOOKING AT YOU ( at lest thats what ive been told :embarrassed_2::0a15::confused2:lol,lol.)oh and something eles,if you use a open face, befor u make that 2 mile cast with fresh bait just put on with 4 oz of lead!!! MAKE SURE YOUR BAIL IS OPEN AND STAYS OPEN, i love seeing folks slam that lead 4 feet from them lol,lol. oh, and ive only seen it happen, naawww it has nt happend to me not one time in the 25 years of fishing:wink:

17. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    welcom to the B O C. im sure youll love it here:big_smile:

18. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    welcome to boc lots of good people here with lots of good advice:wink:

19. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC, and thanks for your service to our country! 1 piece 7 foot uglystik with abu reel will do the trick....olj

20. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks again for all the support. This site rocks. Learning something new everyday. Catch a big one for me next time your out.