New to catfish ... New to NC

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Maine-ahh, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Maine-ahh

Maine-ahh New Member

State:
    Maine
    Hi everyone, I just moved down from Maine for the summer. I fish a little bit back home but I'm new to catching kitties. I'll be on the Cape Fear river doing some bank fishing and need some advice on rod setup and such. I still need to buy a rod and I'm thinking of going with a medium baitcaster and run 14lb Berkley Fireline. I'm thinking of using chicken liver or cut shad for bait but I was also wondering if I could use lures? Don't know how well they respond visually compared to how well they respond with scents. I saw another fish in the river the other day at work but I wasn't sure what kind it was. It looked like a sucker fish of some sort. Any advise on catfish or any of the other fish in the river would be helpful. I'm used to catching bass of all sorts and this will be my first time down south.

Ohhh also, I was looking at the license needed and was wondering which one ill need to buy? Where can I get one of these?

Thanks for the help guys.

2. Shadwrap06

Shadwrap06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the site and welcome to NC! I would stick with livers, cut bait, bream, perch, punch bait, etc.... You can get your license online or at your locat Walmart or Sporting goods store. As far as equipment goes, I use a Ugly Stik CAL 1100 7' Medium with a Ambassadeur 6500 reel with Berkly Big Cat 20lb test. I don't know anything about the cape fear, but there are a lot of brothers on here that will help you out with that..:big_smile:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Joshua! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family, and welcome to BEAUTIFUL North Carolina! We're glad to have you :smile2:. I don't know anything about the Cape Fear, but go to www.ncwildlife.org and you can read all about the different licenses which are available, and choose the one that's right for you. As Barron said, you can also order it from them and it will come to you directly by mail.

4. Maine-ahh

Maine-ahh New Member

State:
    Maine
    Alright awesome, thanks for your help and thanks for the warm welcome :cool2:

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Go to Walmart and get the Ugly Cat Ugly Stick. It's a 7' MH and about 30 bucks. Dont worry about ever breaking it. I've tried.
    Spring for ABU 6500. You'll have about 100 dollars in a rod and reel.
    I use either 20 or 25 pound berkely big game or cajun line. Its plenty stout.

Get you some no roll sinkers from 3-5 oz. 2/0 swivels and 6/0-10/0 Kahle hooks.
    Riverside bait and tackle sells live eels which work good live or cut.
    Live bream or cut bream work good also. SHad if you can get them work well also.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC, yer gunna luv it here!!

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcime to BOC. from Arlansas.

9. Maine-ahh

Maine-ahh New Member

State:
    Maine
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys and Mark thanks for the rod ideas. Ill be back to wal-mart tomorrow for sure.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    man tanya beat me to you :p

i like to use live or cut shad and bream (basically all sunfish). to catch the bream just take what ever set up you have now (light spinning set ups work best) put a bobber on it and a small hook and get a thing of nightcrawlers (these can also be used for cats until you get some baitfish) just put a whole one on your catfish line and send it out rigged carolina style (being a bass fisherman im sure youll know what that is) then take your smaller line and pinch off a little of one to catch the bream

as far as a cat setup i love the ugly stick catfish rods. they are a world calss rod for only 30 bucks....if your on a budget and/or you dont plan on fishing when you get back to main then while your at walmart get one of the tide water 30lb's they are a fantstic reel for only 30 more dollars taking your total of tackle to 60 bucks.

as far as terminal tackle you probley want 20 pound test. i like berkley big game or the cajun red because they are cheap you get a lot of it (which is good cuz that tidewater holds 220 yards of 20 pound test) and they hold up fairly well. get some egg sinkers (1-2 oz) and i dont know if yours down there will have it but mine just got in a gamakatsu catfish hook asortment for 10 bucks it covers most situations. all in all including rod and reel you should spend probley around 80 dollars to hit the water.

i hope this helped you out a lot and welcome to the BOC

12. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    welcome to the boc from sc:smile2:

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Welcome to the BOC and as of that fish it was probibly a carp. They can fight so if you ever get a hold of one you will have some fun right there. I have a couple of tips for you. if you are bank fishing sit right below riverside sport center under the rail road bridge. if you are on a boat go up river until you find a rail road crossing that the left side if dammed up with logs. 2 great spots right there. Have fun, get a ugly stick (I always have used them and never have broken one yet), and don't catch them all leave some for me.

15. Maine-ahh

Maine-ahh New Member

State:
    Maine
    Thanks! Yeah Ill look around at walmart today for your choices, I appreciate your help.

Awesome! It def. looks like Im going for an Ugly Stick and Im on my way now to go pick one up :big_smile: Thanks for the spots, ill have to give them a try and get back to everyone with results.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joshua Welcome to the BOC.:big_smile:

17. Maine-ahh

Maine-ahh New Member

State:
    Maine
    Alright just got back from wally-world and picked up a 6'6" Ugly Stick (medium) , Berkley Big Game 20lb line, kahl hooks, swivels etc. Only thing I didnt end up leaving with was my reel:crazy: They ran out of the 6000s so ill head back another time to pick one up. They had them on a combo rod/reel so i took a look and the reel felt like it had some quality to it, especially for the price they are going for.

18. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WELCOME TO THE SITE. ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE ANOTHER BROTHER ON BOARD!!

19. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC!!

20. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    WELCOME BOC............