New to catfish fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by MuDD_Cat23, May 19, 2008.

1. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I cant catch no catfish with a rod and reel, only on limblines. For the past 3 months ive been catching catfish on limblines only flat head fish on cut bait. Im fishing here in brunswick county in the lockwood folly and waccamaw rivers. Here recently we have not been catching any were setting out about 40 lines everyweekend starting at about 2 and leaving them out till 2 in the morning. I am wanting to step it up and try to catch some on rod and reel. Ive invested alot of money as far as a boat and nice abu garcia 7" rods and the 6600 reels and i cant catch nothing as far as in the river im fishing in ive only caught flat heads. Im really not sure of any blues or channels. Ive tryed chicken liver, dead bream, live bream, shrimp. And ive never really fised alot at night im using the basic slide sinker rig, what am i doin wrong any help will be greatly appreciated. Im goin to try some of this commercial stink bait and other stuff but im just tired of spending spending spending and not coming out with no results ill be happy with little 2 lb cat fish it dont matter im just ready to have some results when i come out the river. Thank you and have a nice day

2. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    sounds like your spending to much time with the limbline leave them at home take your rods and put a float on one with live bream and fish your other rig on bottom ,live bream or eel make sure your setting up in a good spot or it can be a long nite and have some patience it will happen ,and when it does and you get htat big one on youll see the differnce in being a sportman about it ,also give it a while if no bites move somewhere and set up

3. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Try using bait natural to your river/lake. Stink bait is good for smaller channels. If your after channels cut bait is a great choice, wether its gills, shad, whatever. smaller ones will eat about anything... but the bigger cats are a bit more picky. I've never been fishing for flatheads... but i know that live bait is best for flatheads (ive heard they go after cut bait sometimes though).

4. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    I share your pain I got my 1st cat since Feb last weekend. I was using the same bait you are so I don't know what to tell you. If this helps I got my lucky cat using crayfish last weekend

5. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How far should i put the bobber up though should i have it close to the bottom or a couple feet under and how should i prepare the live bream to make it attract the fish more

6. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you want to try a "stink bait", I have had good results on Catfish Charlies type a and type b dough baits on a treble hook, catching smaller channel cats. JMO

7. NCHawghunter

NCHawghunter New Member

State:
    Alamance County North Car
    One thing to keep in mind is at night time those big boys will cruise up into the shallows to feed on bait fish.....you may find that tossing your line way out in the channel is actually NOT the place to be at night. (especially as the days get hotter). I've caught huge cats (30lbrs+) from the bank only tossing it out 40-50 ft or so. Try slinging one out in the deep water as well, but don't be afraid to let a shad or bream lay out there close to the bank too. Once you find the area they are hitting, stick with it and put all your lines in that general depth. If you're in your boat, don't be afraid to get out that deep water and anchor off in a shallow cove somewhere, or a nice sandbar. You'd be shocked to find out the number of big cats that were caught in less than 4 ft. of water. Good luck.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I don't know how big the rivers are, but they all fish the same with different techniques. you been catching Flatheads HUH?.. Well you might be in for a surprise what you will find..LOL...

Flatheads,
    Rivers = currents & (Big strong Fish) and currents = deeper undercut banks on the outside of bends in the river and or log jams on the inside of the bend, either way with a couple of slip rigs just off the bank, spaced strategically along the bend , or along the outside of the log jam with enough weight to pin bait down.

A (90#+ barrel swivel and heavy enough line to set the hook and turn a big fish ( QUICKLY )away from the roots or logs) a 14-18" leader #7-10 Octopus gamakatzu. 5-10" live bait either suckers,carp,bluegill,and (bullheads with their dorsal and pectoral fins snipped off, leaving a little bit of a scent trail ).

You will soon be hooked up to one of he biggest flats around IMHO..

Blue Cats,
    You will find deeper holes near rocky flats...

( you can also catch huge Flatheads on these flats at night, since Flatheads do most of there feeding at night and they love to roam these flats in search for food.)

Bigger Blue cats will be in these deeper holes during the day and a big live shiner 4-6" or a piece of cut bait,
    Either shad,carp,or any native fish,just make sure its a good size chunk if you want to catch a big-gen.. pitched just in the front edge of the hole should produce a good fish..

Channels,
    Are everywhere there is cover or structure and cut bait of the same drifted below a slip rig should produce plenty of eaters...

Hope this help you Bro,, Good Luck on the next trip out.. Kenny

9. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    If your catching on the limb lines, try fishing around those same spots. You know where they are, but you may have to wait them out some.

10. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I JUST WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A POND FISHERMAN FOR CATS AND NOW IM GOING TO THE BIG WATERS AND CATCHIN BIG FISH. VISIT OUR LIBRARY!!:big_smile: THERE IS A GREAT DEAL OF INFORMATION IN THERE AND JUST ASK SOMEONE ON THIS SITE I KNOW FROM EXPERENCE THEY ARE WILLING TO HELP YOU OUT ALL YOU NEED INCLUDING MYSELF. LIKE SOME OF THE OTHER POST SAID TRY FISHING AT NIGHT IN SHALLOW WATER. THE BIGGUNS' COME UP CLOSE TO FEED ON BAITFISH.. IM NOT AN EXPERT BY NO MEANS LIKE MOST OF THE GUYS ON HERE BUT FOR FLATHEADS USE LIVE BLUEGILLS, CHANNELS USE CUT BAIT, AND BLUES USE CUT BAIT. FRESH SHAD OR FRESH GILLS. FIND STRUCTURE OR LOG JAMS, OR BENDS IN THE RIVER IF YOU ARE FISHIN YADKIN. SOMEWHERE THE CURRENT IS NOT FLOWIN FULL THROTTLE ON THE FISH THEY LIKE TO BE IN THE BREAK. REMEMBER YOU ARE CATCHIN FISH ON LIMBLINES SO FISH THERE ALSO. I HAVE LEARNED A TON OF THINGS FROM THE LIBARY AND THE GUYS ON THIS SITE, BUT I HAVE LEARNED A LOT MORE BY GETTING OUT THERE AND DOING THE TRIAL AND ERROR THING.. MIGHT SOUND DUMB BUT TAKE A NOTEBOOK AND PEN WITH YOU AND WHILE YOU ARE FISHIN KEEP NOTE ON WATER TEMP, LOCATION, BAIT USING, WEATHER CONDITIONS, AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF AND YOU WILL HAVE YOUR OWN REFERENCE GUIDE IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE. CAUGHT MY FIRST BIGGUN' LAST FRIDAY AFTER MONTHS AND MNONTHS OF TRYING BUT NOW I HAVE 3 TO MY CREDIT BECAUSE I LEARNED FROM WHAT I DID AND I DONE THE SAME THING AND I WORKED TWO OTHER TIMES!! IF I HAVE ANYTHING WRONG I SURE THE GUYS WILL CORRECT IT FOR ME. ALSO IF I CAN BE ANY HELP JUST MESSAGE ME OR IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO JUST ASK!! GOOD LUCK

11. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    OH BY THE WAY WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!!!:big_smile::smile2::tounge_out::big_smile: YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    OH , I forgot TOO Bro- WELCOME TO THE BOC,:cool2: