New to Catfish Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tntitans21399, Nov 14, 2007.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got my first boat last Jan. and I have been learning a lot about Bass fishing and love it, but now I want to know more about catfish. I know some things, mainly just the basic things a 10 year old would know. My dad never really got into fishing, he loves to go to the lake in his cuddy cabin, but his type of fishing is a worm and a hook. A guy on one of the Bass fishing websites told me about this site. So now I am asking help from actual catfish anglers. Any info or websites for advice would be great.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, you take the biggest bass you've caught to date, put it on a hook, and presto, your catfishing. LOL.

Cats are just a little more evolved than a bass... their sensory organs are outstanding. So, they can scent the bait, they can feel the vibration of bait swimming, and, as a general rule, they are a lot bigger than bass. They prefer different structure than bass also... log jams, rock ledges, deep holes near river channels, underwater trees. Some species, like the blues, like to suspend in the water column and you can never be sure where your going to find them. Generally start on bottom and raise your bait if there is no activity. Similar to bass, they can be caught on artificial lures, but it is not very often. Best bait is cut shad, large bluegills, or stink bait. Stink bait, you say... yep, if you can stand the smell it's not set long enough. Just keep checking and you'll find a bunch of information. And, while your at it, check out our library... it is a very useful place.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

And, welcome to the B.O.C.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Chris welcome to the BOC!

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Chris. You're in the right place to learn more about catfishin'. Take a look through the forums and threads and if you can't find what you want to know, then just post and ask and I'm sure someone will help you out. Good luck fishin'.

5. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Chris. This is by far one of the best sites to learn about catfishing. The members of this site must have a gazillion years of combined experience so if you cant find it in the library then post it and you will get lots of answers. You may even get a lot of different answers because different things work for different folks and areas, but you can try them all and find what works best for you.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Welcome Chris, tons of information here! Good luck!

7. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know Bass go off vibration, and Cats go more off smell. As I know of, or guessing, go y'all usually stick a bucket full o stick bait/cut shad in the water and wait for the cats to come, or do you just put some parts/stink bait on your lures and just wait? I have heard a little about jug fishing and I figured that must be a catfishing type of fishing.

Thanks for web link AwShucks, that is what I was looking for and I just couldn't find it. I saved so I can go and read some of the things this weekend.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Chris, welcome to the BOC/SOC. Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there. Our favorite bait is skip jack fresh or frozen, fished whole or cut. 2nd would be fresh caught shad fished whole, live or cut. For those rare days when neither one of them are working our backup go to bait is Danny Kings punch bait.

9. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    After reading some, it sounds like Channel and Blue's are ones that you can still catch during the winter. I know with Crappie you put out as many rods with light weight line and wait to get a bit, and in Bass fishing you cast and reel and keep moving. In Catfish do you kind of do the same as Crappie as in put out numerous rods, but just used heavier line (what size line do y'all use) and use more bait that has a smell. Is that about right? And it also sounds like they might like some of the same areas as Bass (rocks, timber, weeds) But I thought (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Cats like more of the sandy/muddy areas?

10. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Chris I use to bass fish tournaments and it seemed every breath I took was used to bass fish. At one time I as so many thought catfish was nothing more than another trash fish you could eat. Boy was I wrong, there is not another fish in freshwater that is built with the senses a catfish have. People that know me would not believe I type this because the love I had for bass. They just don't come close cats. To me now bass are just another food source for the big cats. Becarfull reading about these true sport fish, because you to will get hooked. Good luck brother!!!:0a23:

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have to disagree with some of my brothers here. You, as a Bass fisherman seem to think, like 85% of the population that catfish are scavengers and eat old stinky stuff. While smaller ones and an occasional big one do eat stinkbaits and the rotten stuff, the true brutes are predators of the water. If you want to consistently catch big fish, get yourself a 7 ft MH rod, some 30 to 100lb test line, 8/0 to 12/0 hooks, an Abu 6500 or larger baitcaster and a castnet.

Catfish like live bait and fresh cut bait. You don't need to go home smelling like... well, stink bait. Let's ease the wife into the transition from prissy Bass fisherman, to the real men of the world, the catfish hunters.

Welcome to the BOC.

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Chris, welcome to the BOC.
    If you haven't already hooked into one yet then you better get ready!
    Cause the rod and line you are using for the bait, oops I mean bass ain't strong enough.:smile2:
    Cat fishing is a whole different sport which in no way can be compared to bait fishing.
    Catfish are alot smarter and harder to target than anything you have ever hunted for, so don't be disappointed if you don't hook up with any right away.
    It all takes time and smarts. You found the right place to get the smarts now all you need is some time on the water in your boat.
    Good luck brother and happy catfishing.:big_smile:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    chris welcome to the boc.i could tell you a lot of ways to catch cats from big to little but if i was a new cat man i would visit the tenn.state fishing site and find some of them to take you and show you first hand how its done.im sure they would love to help.if not and you are ever in arkansas give me a hollar and ill take you to some of my fishing spots.

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    lawrence has it right:smile2:

15. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Welcome to the boc Chris im a pretty new member myself but just talk to any of these guys on here they are happy to tell you plenty to get you started but you will have to learn a lot just by trial & error but it sure is fun learning i am a long time catfisherman & i learn something new just about every time i go

16. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Chris, Welcome to the BOC. You won't need any other websites to learn about catfishing, you are home now. If you spend a rainy weekend trying to read everything on here you'll get thru a tenth of it. There is enough info on these threads to keep you busy for months lol. This time of year in Tenn. is prime for giant blues in the rivers. They are a coldwater fish, not a slow mud dwelling creature. Come spring start targeting big Flatheads with 10 or 12 inch bass for bait, or some other live fish, crappie, sucker, carp, shad, skipjack, whitebass... you get the idea. You could go your whole life and never catch a 20 lb bass, but you can catch catfish in the 20's,30's 40's 50's or more every time out if you are good enough.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your choice of terminal tackle is just that - your choice. Most of us agree the poles used to bass fish will not take the strain of large cats. I mean, they are serviceable, but you still need poles with backbone. As to what size line, sinkers, and hooks, again, experience is the determining factor. If the area you fish has a lot of rocks or down timber, you will need heavy line. If your fishing clean, open water, you can go down in strength quite a bit. My preference is line in the 14 to 20 pound capacity, but I know there are others who feel that is ultra light fishing. LOL. One of the most discussed and cussed topics on the board is the style of hook. I believe quite a few, possible the majority, use kahle hooks, and those numbers who use circle hooks is not far behind. "J" hooks are still used also, but all the rave seems to be for the other two. Channel cats are more the "eater" type of cat, as they don't grow very big - about 53 pounds, I think is the record. Flatheads grow bigger, and like tight cover such as down trees, large rocks, bridges, etc., while the blues are like the white shark... they cruise all types of water and all depths of the water column looking for their next bite. Generally you target one specie of catfish and fish for them... don't mean you'll not catch the others, even in fishing, accidents happen.
    To fish for the cats there are more options than for scale fish. Of course there is rod and reel, then trot lines, bank lines, limb lines, jug lines, yo-yo's, are the main ones. Several states also allow hand fishing or noodling (grabbing, hogging, fish wrestling). Get a copy of your states laws and become very, very familiar with them as far as catfishing in particular, and fishing in general. Once you hook into the big ones, you'll still bass and crappie fish, but your thoughts will always be on the bottom dwellers. Luck.

19. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am learning a lot more after reading somethings about certain baits and tackle. My last questions is do y'all usually anchor at one spot and try that location or do you just drift? Then if you anchor how long do you stay on spot? I know in Bass fishing you don't want to stay in one spot and you want to move around so your trolling motor is your best equipment, but don't cats like their food more stationary?

20. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It depends. Drifting works for Blues (I'm told ;) ) It works for channels. I've never caught a flathead drifting, but I plan to try it next spring. I'd explain as much as I could, but most of the information is here in the archives. I know you are a bass fisherman but you can read can't you? (That was a JOKE)
    Sorry, we like to make fun of the guys who buy $40,000.00 rigs, spend thousands on gear and even organize tournaments.... all to catch bait. :wink:

You will find guys that stay in one spot all day or all night, guys that drift, and guys that move from cover to cover every 20-30 minutes or so until they connect.