New to Catfish at Smith Mountain Lake in Virgina

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BoG, Mar 8, 2006.

1. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    I am new to fishing cats, but know the lake well because of trying to catch stripers. Any experience here for fishing Blackwater or Craddock? My boat is in a slip at Saunders/Parkway.

Need to learn to catch bait, right now I only use bluegill caught on a fly rod.

:confused:

2. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    BoG,I live in callands. I don't fish there for cats just strippers.It's hard to catch bait there.I hear there are big flatheads around Hales Ford bridge.I only fish for blues,then I go Buggs.Ever try there? I go all the time great fishing there.SM Lake has to much traffic on it for me. If you ever want to try Buggs drop me a line.You can't never have to many fishing buddies.GOOD LUCK up there. 1bigblue

3. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    1bigblue,
    You are certainly right about the boat traffic. From Memorial Day to Labor Day I don't go except very early when the crazies are sleeping it off. Interesting though, my wife and I go for a picnic cruise on Sunday evenings (with trolling gear out) and have the lake almost to ourselves.

Fished for Stripers Sunday evening, and there was someone wake boarding! 46 degree water?:rolleyes:

I have always heard great things about Buggs, I don't know why I haven't fished it yet. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.

Thanks

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    i agree, buggs for the cats and bass and crappie, and smith mountain for the bucketmouths and stripers

wheelmobile07

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    catching bait is easy at SML. I get shad with a throw net. It's better at night around docks but from a boat, get one of those floatong lights, put it in the water for awhile and soon you will see the flash of shad under the light. Throw in the net and you're all set.:0a26:

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey guys,
    Went out to the State Park last night and caught four nice channels and a big Bullhead. All were caught on Shad.