New to Catching Shad...

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by tkbiker, Jul 2, 2007.

1. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was out today and netted the 2 shad pictured. The one was over 10 inches? Is this usual? All the ones i have got in the past were a lot smaller.

Whats your experience with them?

Attached Files:

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Sometimes they are big and sometimes they are not. Just depends on the school that you are throwing on. Most schools have different sizes of fish in it.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    big shad like that are great for cut bait for blues.
    If i want the smaller sizes like 4"-6" then i cast at a sand bar with about 10' of water on it this time of year

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't know why, but I don't usually hit the big ones if there are a bunch of smaller ones around. Don't know if they don't school together or (most likely) if the bigger ones just aren't as plentiful.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's not been my experience in our local waters -- when you find a school of 8" or 9" shad, they'll all be just about the same size. Likewise when you find the 4" ones - all the same size.

The really huge ones only turn up in my net onesie-twosie, and usually only when the water is colder (winter and early spring).

I've personally never caught anything on a huge shad chunk - the 6 to 9 inch variety seem to work very well for me.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its been my experience that threadfin shad are much smaller than gizzard shad which commonly reach 14" here in our waters.