New to catching my own bait

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, May 12, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    OK, I've been practicing with a 3' 6" net. My skills are starting to develop, I'm "pancaking" more than I'm "tacoing" (although every time I toss it I wonder how it'll end up:tounge_out: ). Last night was my best night netting bait yet. It took me about 30 minutes to get about two dozen shad. I don't know if that's good or not for someone who knows what they're doing, but for me it was pretty quick. They were also some of the largest shad I've netted yet (not nearly as large as some of the monsters that I've seen pics of on *this* website:wink: ).

My problem is that I'm only netting one or two shad at a time. So I think that I'm on where the shad are, but might it be time to upgrade to a larger net? What size?

Jon

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    once You are comfortable with a small net move up to as large a net as Your local regulations and skills allow. I thow an 8' net

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea def get the largest available and get once that will be able to sink realtively fast. that works best for me. i dont do much shad but when i throw in the ocean for bunker we use up to 12' but more often 10' nets with some extra weight added so it sinks faster. keep working at it. keep trying different locations till you find the area that holds the most shad or even better tighter schools of shad so you can get all the shad you want in one or two throws once you find them.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, yeah, you really need a bigger net. The shad just don't have that far to swim to get out from under your current net. How big? That depends on conditions. Do you throw a lot in relatively shallow, rocky water? I throw a 5' radius (NOT diameter) net in such places, and don't have too much trouble unless I try to get clever and let it sink 'just a little deeper'. If you throw your net in open water where you don't have to worry about it getting hung up, you want to throw the largest net possible, with extra weights to get it down faster. Incidentally, the technique used to throw a net, say 8' or larger, is a bit different from the one commonly used to throw small nets. One main difference is having to hold a lead in your teeth while throwing the net, then opening your mouth at the right time to help spread the net......and keep from losing your teeth.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Don't u worry about lead poisoning at all?!?!?!

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    IF LEGAL a 1/2" mesh will sink faster than a 3/8" mesh.

At times it takes me hrs to get 3 gal of Shad, other times one cast.

Opinion: U should not leave home with less than two (2) nets!!!!!!!!

:smile2:

7. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I saw where you you are new to catching your own bait. I rarely throw a net for the simple fact that I love to catch fish and I have just as much fun catching bait as I do catching the big cats. I use a small rod and reel and buy a dozen night crawlers and head to a creek somewhere. You can always take a buddy with you to add to the experience and make it into a challenge as to who can catch the most and biggest baits. I can tell you just about as many stories from catching bait as I can catching cats. The only downside I guess is if you are pressed for time and you need bait quickly. Wading creeks can take some time but its way more fun!

8. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I just bought a 1/4" mesh net and started casting myself. I hadn't considered the mesh size slowing the net down as one member suggested. I've been doing pretty good in water that's less then 8' or so, so maybe that's why. Maybe I should go get me a 1/2" mesh and see how that does. Oh yeah, some casts produce all you need for a week, and others get a few at a time like you've been. I'd try to stay as shallow as possible, but still in the schools.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Josh, while actually ingesting lead is definitely harmful, I feel that this has been carried to a ridiculous extreme. The attitude of this country seems to be "if a lot is bad for you, a little tiny bit must be just as bad." Same thing as handling lead sinkers with your bare hands....oooooh, how dangerous. Now, I'm not saying you should put a piece of lead in your mouth and waller it around like a piece of chewing gum; holding a net lead between your front teeth probably isn't going to subject you to as much lead as putting a lead sinker on your line. After all, the only thing touching the lead is the ends of your front teeth. And you're holding it, not biting it. And not particularly touching it with your lips. I mean, this thing is fixing to go flying out over the water, so you don't want any chance of it catching on anything, including lips.
    Back on my soapbox for a second. A recently passed law in our city prohibits smoking within 25 feet of a hospital entrance because of the danger of 'second hand smoke.' But you may (are sometimes are encouraged to) pull up just across the sidewalk from that same entrance in a smoking, carbon monoxide belching automobile. Think about this. A person spends one hour in a one car garage with someone chain smoking as hard as possible; a second person spends one hour in a one car garage with an automobile that would pass the emission laws of any state. The first person may be uncomfortable; the second person is going to be dead. So, why is the country so down on smoking while at the same time feeling perfectly all right with automobile exhausts?

10. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Back when I used to do some casting in the gulf, I'd' always hold the line "between the weights" in my teeth, not the weight itself. I wouldn't worry about the lead as much as the getting my teeth yanked out. I still bite split shot with my teeth all the time. Jerry, if you think the smoking near the hospital thing is bad, up in Marquette MI where I lived for a while, they were working on passing a law that prohibited smoking in ANY public area indoors or out. No smoking on the street or anything! Don't know if it ever passed or not.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I was always afraid to hold the line in my teeth. Afraid some of that mono would snag a tooth and yank it out.

12. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    This weekend I'm throwing my fishing buddy's net. It's 8' Diameter, I believe. Never had much experience throwing a net. I'll spend plenty of time back in some coves so I can practice without everyone watching. I'm sure I will do something stupid or funny. Hope to buy a net soon. Watching and doing is two completely different things when it comes to cast netting.

13. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Well, I went out yesterday and bought a new 7' net. I sat down and read the throwing instructions, because I'd heard that there's a different way you're supposed to throw a larger diameter net as opposed to a smaller one, then I reread them again, and again, and then twice more just to confirm my suspicion that I was thoroughly confused. Went outside and tried to throw it; nearly ripped off a finger, almost lost a tooth, and smacked myself in the head with the weights (I love fishing). After all of that, I just went back to throwing it like I throw the small one. After a few small adjustments (mainly in how to hold a net that was twice as big as I was accustomed to), it worked like a charm. So, tomorrow night, under cover of darkness so I can't emberass myself too much, I'll try to net some bait with the big net. I now have a 3 1/2' net for a reserve too:wink:.

Thanks for all the responses and advice. The ideas, facts and techniques that I've run across on this site are invaluable to me. Even the things that haven't worked for me like they have for others have directed my train of thought to something that I was successful with. Years of experience at a mouse click, this place is great!

Jon