New to Cat Fishing

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by brew1961, Nov 19, 2008.

1. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I would love to hear about some good lakes in West Virginia to catch some nice catfish. I plain on traveling around WV next year to different locations for catfish. Any tips on Lakes and any givin HOT spots in said lakes would Greatly appreciated. I live in the Northern Panhandle and fish the Ohio River (Pike Island Pool). Thanking you all in advance! Peace, Tim

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome again to the BOC. Be very careful, catfishing is very addicting. If you are not fishing, you will be here on the BOC!!:wink: Good luck to you brother, I am not too familar with that area, but I know there are some good flatheads down that way

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Burnsville Lake is one of the best lakes in the state for big flatheads. If you want something closer, there is Salt Fork, Piedmont,Clendining,Tappan and Seneca over in Ohio. All these have good size flatheads. The big flathead at Cabelas came from Seneca Lake.

4. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I just started getting serious this year about catfishing myself. I have the same plan to travel WV next year and check out all the good spots. I even have my kids wanting to go. I'm about to have a fourth kid so it might be a little hectic. I may have to sneak out a few times without them. (I'm sure they will be ticked at me when I get back though!):wink:

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I used to fish at North Bend State park its up that way on I think the little hughes or hughes river . Never fished lakes much . Spent my childhood barefoot on the bank of the West Fork river in Clarksburg tho . Goood Luck . When I go home some folks I grew up with fish Stonecoal and Stonewall Jackson with some success . Hope this helps !

6. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :wink:don't leave out the ohio and the guyandotte

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Tim.

8. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I hear people are starting to see some nice cats coming out of Jennings Randolph. I havent fished it myself. I mostly fish the upper Potomac River for cats.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Around morefield ?

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tim Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

11. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When traveling distance limited to 100 miles from home, I found that Stonewall Jackson Lake produced the most enjoyment and quantity of fish. I like to make the trip at least once every year and spend 3 or 4 days.
    Sutton Lake is also another very pleasant place to go , but I haven't had any success their yet.

12. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yeah its on the mineral county and garrett county md boarder. The north branch of the potomac. I mostly fish the south branch through berkeley county though.

13. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC Tim. This sight is very informative and addictive.
    Bluestone lake, Summersville lake, R.D. Bailey lake..I've fished them all and have caught many nict cats at each.
    For river fishing, listen to Mankind and fish the Guyandotte. I fished the head waters most of my life and it's one of my favorite rivers to fish. You may wanna try the tail waters where the river is bigger. Thanks!
    :wink: