New to cat fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dknutson, Aug 7, 2009.

1. dknutson

dknutson New Member

State:
    Branson, MO
    I am new to cat fishing and i am looking for any anwsers on a problem im having i have been fising at my local river and the cats are biting but they are picking up the bait and dropping it and then repeting i have caught a few but it seem like they dont hold it long enough, i am using dough bait

thanks

drew:eek:oooh:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC Drew.
    You might want to try using other types of bait. Like cut bait, liver, a dip bait. Without seeing your rig it is hard to tell if you are doing anything wrong. The cats may just be biting light. Maybe you can meet some of the guys on here that are from your area and you can get with them to fish some.

3. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    maybe try using night crawler or stink bait oh ya welcome to the BOC

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Drew Welcome to the BOC, from So. I:0a23::0a25:llinois. Sometimes the cats just hit light. Keep up the good work.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Drew. I agree I would use different baits. Cut bait is my go to bait.

6. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I have done this on a local river> I down sized my hook and caught some drum and perch. Change your bait up some minnows might be a good idea or some cut bait.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    welcome to the BOC brother.give us some more info what kind of hook you using what size?the more info on your set up the better.

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Drew welcome to the BOC!!!

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen Drew. You can check out the member library and Missouri catfishing section in subforum.. Enjoy!:smile2::wink:

10. dknutson

dknutson New Member

State:
    Branson, MO
    the rig i am using is a very small split shot about 15" up from a #8-6 Spring Trebble hook we went out again last night and got 3 but the channels here have been around 2lbs also i have tried shrimp and cut bait on a 2/0 circle hook but it seems we have a problem here with soft shell turtles casue thats all we've caught using those

The Lake is Bull Shoals in South Central MO (Branson Aera)

11. dknutson

dknutson New Member

State:
    Branson, MO
    additional info

rod/reel: ultra light
    line: 6lb green mono

kinda medium/swift current too fast for bobber(comes to shore in about 30 sec-1min)

12. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Drew, you'll find all the advice here. My suggestion on the turtle and the bobber, get the bait off the bottom, use a slip bobber on a 3 way swivel.jmo

13. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    6lb and ultralight that sounds good man that is gonna be a blast.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcomr e to the BOC Drew.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well with the light tackle its going to be a fun fight thats for sure lol.If your going to use a trebble hook with a spring id use a #4.you should be fine with eater size cats with the 2/0 or 3/0 circles.for the bigger ones your going to have to beef up your tackle.id keep using the shrimp but i would add liver to my arsenal as well.

16. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Drew welcome to the B.O.C. this is a great site with a lot of good info ,also a lot of great folks on here too :wink: