New to carping

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Creaz93, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, I've decided to start carp fishing. I haven't really caught one yet... I had a fish estimated to be around 20lbs on my hook, got about 3ft away from the bank and my knot broke and it swam away. I was really surprised at how well carp fight, its the reason I've decided to start fishing for carp.

Right now Im using 12lb mono line. A simple slip sinker rig with a 12-18in leader. I'm using nightcrawlers for bait, i've found the problem with these are I catch a ton of other fish like catfish,walleye,bass, and bluegills, so if you have any suggestion for bait I would appreciate it:big_smile:.

Any other suggestions on rigs, gear, or whatever would be great! Thanks.

2. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    for bait try canned sweet corn that should take care of those problem fish.

3. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    A can of corn is one of the best carp catching baits of all time.take a handfull of corn throw it about 10ft out from shore to chum,load up your hook toss it where you chum! also you can look for a good doughball. when i use to carp fish corn and wheaties doughball were my baits.

4. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Corn is an amazing bait, but sometimes gills wont waste any time pecking your hook clean. Try a Wheatie ball with some vanilla extract added in.

If you see them feeding on top, freeline some bread, marshmallows, or Corn Pops.

They all work amazingly.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    try a dough ball that seems to work well for me.

6. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys, I think i'll give corn a try. I've also heard wheaties soaked in strawberry pop was a good bait.:cool2:

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Last year I was trying to find some catfish bait last minute at midnight, I mixed some white bread and a can of pink salmon. Well i didn't catch any cats but tore u[p carp. After that i started using it for carp bait, I've had4 or 5 carp in the 15 pound range swim by my bait and do a 180 and come back and hit it.
    chip

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    try this go to the dollar store and get 4-6 cans of cheap corn and spread them out where you want to fish a day or 2 before you fish. next get a can of green giant summer crisp corn for bait and bait up a size 4 beak or baitholder hook and hang on! my son almost lost his rod to an estimated 10-11lber yesterday.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I will tell ya this, they run the hardest when they see the net. :cool2:

10. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    we use 60# braid, thats the best way to insure you catch and hook sets at long distances. we use wheaties with strawberry cola for bait. the best way is to make it is to put the wheaties in a bowl pour some cola in there and mix till it get real rubberry.

11. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I heard that from a friend only he uses Big Red... but I don't think that type of soda is sold everywhere:confused2:... I think that he said that strawberry crush works well also.

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i have 35 lb gorilla tough braid on my pole.....

i only have to cast out 20 ft ( fishing in a channel ) but the channell is only 40 ft wide and packed with alot of moving,parked boats + alot of kids swimming.....

hardly anyone fishes for carp around here so im determine to break single digits before summer is over...(we got them in the 20's ) its kinda fun to hang on to that big'o carp as they run back and forth..... the fight is on:cool2:

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    hey chicken liver works good for carp as well food for thought rick

14. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Hang in there sleekcraft you'll get it yet.

When you can see a bunch of carp working an area, try fishing just deeper than the carp you can see feeding.

Big ones are smart and spooky, they will circle in and out several times before tailing up to feed.

Tuesday I had about a 15lber come into 6" of water right below my feet. He did pick up my bait but I got buck fever, rushed the set and missed him. :(

That was on a very basic cooked cornmeal with melted marshmellows doughball with just a touch of molasses and vanila for flavor.