New to Carp Fishing!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by fisherman94580, Apr 9, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm new to carp fishing and wanted to know a couple things! First of all, Where are the best places to fish for them? Rivers, lakes, etc. Also I've heard that corn works good for them, is this true? How should I fish for them, like rigs, work, should I look for structure or a flat bottom? Shallow or Deep. One last thing, I live next to a creek (not very big), but I've heard of really big carp in there, and I found a dead one that looked to be around 20lbs. Ok well I wanted to know if these were carp, there are these schools that swim around in the water, in groups up to 20 or so and was wondering if these are carp or not.

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Aaron, carp are a lot of fun to catch. Every carp that I have caught was caught in a river. I like to fish just off the current, especially in bends where the channel meets shallow water or shallow water where a river widens. Carp will come up into shallow water to feed sometimes with their backs out of the water. I like to use dough baits, but I hear that corn and even cherry tomatoes work well, though I've never tried them. Garlic is a favorite and I sometimes add garlic powder to my dough bait. Ive caught a lot of carp on balled up store bought white bread. I use a small but strong eagle claw bait holder hook with as light a slip sinker rig as I can get away with (1oz. max). Carp have very sensitive mouths and they like to push a bait around for a while before eating it. I leave a loop of slack in the line, you'll see it straighten out then get slack again. It's been my experience that this will happen a couple of times before the fish actually eats the bait. When that line straightens out and doesn't go slack right away, set the hook and hold on. I love to catch carp on light tackle, 8-10lb. test with med action spinning rigs. It takes a while to get them in but it's a lot of fun.

3. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks alot Jim, that was helpful.

4. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I love to fish carp for bait or big ones. I have a lake with clear water I find a open spot and throw out a hand ful of canned corn laced with a pack of koolaid strawberry is my choice. When I see them rooting around I'm rigged with a #6 hool and a split shot cast it out watch your line and hang on !!!!!!! I'm sure this would work great in rivers too,

Good luck
    Ned

5. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    well me and my friend kenny go to robinson catfish lake and we catch some pretty good ones up there. and about your question about corn we use cream style corn in our packbait, and my dad went up to michigan cause he had to do some work up there and he went fishing with corn and caught a 15 lb carp on corn well hope this helps

btw hope you catch the one you been watin for