New to carp fishing

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by daystarchis, Aug 16, 2005.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Need some tips.... I noticed a whole lot of carp jumping and was wondering when they jump, are they bitting? What is the bet set up and bait to catch these brutes???

Robb

2. catfish1605

catfish1605 Member

State:
    Findlay, OH
    I've never had luck catching the ones that were jumping. For bait I use a slip rig on the bottom with a number 4 or 6 hook with 3 or 4 kernels of canned corn. I'll also toss a couple handfuls of corn out where I'm fishing for chum.

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    hey carp guys. You might want to check with Josh. He seems to be getting a lot of them lately.Remember, we can all learn from each other. he had posted some pics of some good sized ones on the old board.Just right size for cut bait applications.

4. row vs. wade

row vs. wade New Member

State:
    Joplin, Mo.
    I have had good results making balls out of Wheaties and Strawberry pop. Slip rig on the bottom with #4 treble.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thank guys. I was wondering why they are jumping? I was thinking about useing a bobber. But is they do not bite at that time , I do not want to waste my time.
    Robb

6. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I've always heard that carp did not make good cut bait. Is that wrong? :confused:

7. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    By far the most productive bait around here is corn. Put about 8 kernnels on your hooks and throw it out. take a few handfulls and chum around your hook. Never been skunked in the local river.

8. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    (daystarchis)

I use a treble hook #6 (for carp) or #4 (for cats) on a spinning rig. (No Weight) Let er' float! I use a homemade dough type bait using cattle cubes as the main ingredient. It works very well in hot weather and catches carp and cats. Seems when your catching cats with this bait, the carp aren't biting and vice versa. Caught a 23lb Buffalo and numerous Carp over 15 lbs on this concoction. Also catch lots of Channel Cats with it. Biggest cat I've personally caught on it is around 6lb, but have seen 10lbers taken with it. I've only used this bait in ponds and reservoirs. Would probably be difficult to keep on hook in moving water, but stays on hook very well if mixed properly and used in lakes.

Ingredients

3/8 " Cattle Range Pellets (Available in 50 lb Sacks for less than $10.00 at agriicultural feed store. This will last an average fisherman for several seasons.

5 lbs White Flour (Regular)

1 pkg Strawberry Jello (I use large packet, but small will work just as well)

Garlic Salt or Powder (Optional) Just sprinkle some in mixture for enhanced bait.

Mixing Instructions

Fill a 3 lb coffee can with Range Pellets and empty into a 5 gallon bucket.
    Fill the same coffee can with warm water and empty into the 5 gallon bucket.
    Let this soak over night. Mash, Mix and Crumble with hands, next morning.
    Add 3 lb coffee can of White Flour.
    Add dry pkg of Strawberry jello.
    Combine and mix everything together well.
    Goal is to get mixture to form a stiff ball so that it will form around treble hook.
    If more water is need to soften mixture......just sprinkle mixture with your hands until you get it right. It is very easy to overdo the water. A little goes a long way so just add a little at a time.
    If mixture needs to be stiffened, add some flour.
    When the mixture is right, you will be able to form a stiff ball about the size of a quarter or so.
    Carry some flour with you when you go fishing in case bait needs to be tightened.

Mold bait around your treble hook and fish with a loose line. When line begins to tighten set the hook.

Keep bait mixture in a sealed container.....1lb ziploc bags work well.

Bait can be refrigerated and will keep through the winter. Don't worry if a mold forms on it........it will work good just as well.

This could possibly become one of your favorite "go to" baits for eater size channels in hot weather.

Larry (polecatter)

Keep on Castin.....Cattin!

9. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    wheaties is the best bait i have ever used. grain products like bread and oats work well. just don't use too big of a hook.

10. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i have a pond where i get my shad warmouth and baby carp for bait i like to use the carp alive they seem to work best that way but if u have carp as bait the shovels go nuts

11. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Scale em and filet , leaving ribs in. Cut up in size baits you want. Leave the skin on . Great for trot lines as the skin is so tough. :006:

12. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I also use a number 6-4 treble hook and cook up my own dough bait to use, which is in the library (don't know if it is accessible yet?). Anyway, I also use only the hook, no sinkers or swivels and fish it on bottom, freelining it. I have had great success with this although, I usually catch the big ones with this dough bait as I use an egg sized ball of it. The corn would probably work just fine if you are trying to catch some smaller ones to use for cutbait. There are alot of different opinions on carp fishing when it comes to baits and rigs and I am sure they all work unless a whole bunch of us are lying, lol, so I guess you could just try a few different methods and see which one you like. There are also a ton of websites dedicated exclusively to carp fishing which is as big in Europe and Great Britain as bassin and catfishing is here in the states. Those guys over there have it down to a science and you can learn alot surfing through some of those websites.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    In my experience, Carp can be/are real skiddish eaters. They feel resistance, barbs, etc, they spit it out..

I have great luck fishing for em pretty much the excat way Jeremy does.
    4-6 Treble hook, no weight, swivels, etc.. Just line to the hook.. Make sure you completly cover the hook...

I fish loose line with the button pushed, and jsut watch for my line to start running out, pick up the pole, click the button, let em tighten line, then set hook... Your in for a nice fight :D ..... Whenever I go to a local pay pond here, they have huge cat and carp (they stock em big), I always put at least 1 carp line for the fight.. alot of times, the cats aint biting but Im having a ball with the carp.. I can go there and regularly pull in Carp anywhere from 8# to 30#

14. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I drain one can of whole kernel corn and dump it and an undrained can into a container. Then I add a container of red jello, sugared Kool Aid in some kind of red color, some Vanilla Extract and let it sit over night. An hour before I go fishing I go next door to the sub shop and get some crusts of bread and throw them in the mix. When I get out to the lake I throw a couple of cupfulls out just before dark. I use the bread because it breaks apart in the water and floats around and attracts smaller fish that can eat it. The big fish notice the little fish and of course bully on in and find the big kernels of corn and go to town. I've also tried cornmeal instead of the bread crusts. I've always thought about drilling some holes in a film cannister and throwing the bread or cornmeal inside then attaching it to the line with a swivel or something. This way the teaser stays with the bait and they find it easier.

15. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    I must agree with the corn guys there is a bunch of different baits that work all over the plase but good oldCORN cant be beat. :grin-big:

16. redneckfly

redneckfly New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    I've had varying success on a mixture of corn meal/flour, strawberry jello, sugar, and corn syrup or Caro syrup. Also will eat the freshwater mussels, just like the cats. Canned corn is the old standby. They seem to change their preference of foods day to day.

17. spam

spam New Member

Corn is the best over the long run. I've tried many different mixtures, doughbaits, and flavors. Plain sweet corn or boiled feed corn (maize) works best. Recommend fishing them on a hair rig.

18. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    i'll tell you the recipe we use on the lower dam in hamilton ohio on the miami river. it works wonders there, but i've only tried it once or twice a couple of other places and didn't have much luck.

whole wheat bread,
    water,
    vanilla extract,
    strawberry extract (optional)

take a few slices of bread (about 5-6 slices), about 20-40 drops vanilla, (one good squirt) a couple of drops of strawberry if the vanilla alone isn't working, and however much water is needed to make a somewhat stiff dough. important thing is the vanilla. make sure it's evenly distributed through the dough.

with a smooth practiced cast, it'll stay on the hook pretty good. but care is needed. like i said, it works wonders where we fished in ohio, but i haven't had too much luck anywhere else with it. i'd like it if someone from somewhere else would give it a shot and tell me what luck they have with it. it works wonders in hamilton.

19. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    zaney2k

When I lived in Ohio whole weat bread & onion worked well for me, but down here in NC. they won`t look at it . The carp down in my area run larger (average 7 to 10, biggest 14 lb) as up at ST. Marys in Ohio they would run 2 to 4 lb. There is not near the fish per acre here as there is there. Canned corn ,sweet strawberry dough are my best baits here.

20. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    that little hole where we used it was great. i rarely caught any carp under 10 lbs there. we'd pull 'em in all day long in the 10-18 pound range. there was one really great day where we must've caught more than 30 fish. we were giving them to this chinese guy that wanted them to eat i guess. he had one of those floating baskets. when he was walking back up to his car, his basket was so full that it broke apart. me personnally, i never eat fish, don't like the taste. and i especially won't eat carp. they're really fun to catch though.

like i said though, it only worked at that one hole. i've never caught as many big carp anywhere else as i did there. any other hole, i think my carp record is about 4 lbs. m y record at that hole is 22 lbs. i had one once that i think may have pushed 30 lbs, but i couldn't get to the bank quick enough to land him and he broke the line. i got him up to the surface though. everyone there started cussing when i lost him.