new to carp fishin,need help.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by upncomincatfishking, Apr 5, 2008.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i've been after cats now for awhile,but i just moved to n.c and am seein alot more carp fishin than catfishing. so i was wanting to get an idea from some of the pro carp fisherman of the site. Any help will greatly appreciated!!!!!! How much of a difference in goiong after cats and carp? i know i'll have to change up my strategies but i'm not sure where to start. SO please get back to me on this and help a brother fisherman to be the best he can. THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!!:beat_shot::beat_plaster:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Read some old threads on here and you can gain a lot of information. Start out basic, bread and corn. I posted a how to of grits pack and if you find that link it gives you an awesome bait to use. Look into hair rigs, they redid how I fished for carp although the paylake influence is strong in my style as well. Don't overwhlem yourself with too much fancy stuff early on and if you have any questions PM me and I am glad to help.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Dough balls are good carp bait its what i usually catch them on

4. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    SUGAR POPS,YOU KNOW,THE BREAKFAST CEREAL KIND,WITH A GOLD ABERDEEN HOOK AND HOME MADE DOUGH BALL.FASHION YOUR DOUGH BALL AROUND THE SUGAR SMACK,AS IT DISSOLVES THE SUGAR SMACK WILL FLOAT UP.THEY DONT ALLOW THAT IN THE PAY LAKE CARP TOURNAMENTS AROUND HERE BUT I CATCH EM ON ALLATOONA WITH MY GRANDKIDS ALL THE TIME LIKE THIS.I AINT SO SURE ABOUT EATING CARP BUT HERE IS A GOOD RECIPE.TAKE A ONE BY SIX PRESSURE TREATED BOARD AND PUT YOUR CLEANED CARP ON IT.SEASON THE FISH TO TASTE,BAKE IN THE OVEN AT 425 DEGREES FOR ONE HOUR.TAKE THE FISH AND THROW IT IN THE TRASH,THEN EAT THE BOARD.:roll_eyes:

5. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    interesting? whats suger smack?

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    canned corn and dough balls.

7. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Greetings,

You learn something new every time you sample around the B.O.C.

Sugar Pops... of course!!! (brilliant!)

why could i not think of that. :sad2: In between that and the day old pizza crust with a lil sauce on it (Don't remember the B.O.C.'s Bro that mentioned it) what sorta carpling could not resist?
    i'm thinking 2 kernels of corn, one of sugar pops and a lil pizza crust at the end to hold it together aughta attract something no?

Some of these semi to full pro Carpers are doing all kinds of exotic recipe's like the crazy (ingenious but not all there Catfisherman ) but, i think some of you People may be on to something... Any way you slice it or hook it i think it's going to be a good year for all of us.

Much love and respect for the out of the box thinking here at B.O.C.

regards,
    m.a.d.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well said bro...I think the transition to catfishing and carp is easy... I used to come up with all kinds of crazy stuff to catch channels...now I am applying some of that for carps...its fun sometimes to think of new stuff and find out what might work...... my buddies look at me and say what you got today...

9. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Good on you to try carpin. Its a little harder to do than catfishing, but twice as fun though.Like Mcwrestler said, look at the old threads and you should find some usefull info. If you want a basic setup to catch carp and cats you can use a basic bottom rig that you use to catfish. use a doughball or corn as bait and wait. You sometimes have to wait for the fish to come around to your bait but when it comes you wont regret it. carp dont take the bait in there mouths like cats. They suck it up and taste it. Dont be too quick to set the hook though. The carp may not have the hook in the mouth yet. Wait for when the carp is running and continues to pull the line, and you should get him easy. A nice medium action spinning combo will do you right. Spool it with 10 to 17lb test line and have some fun.

PS: Ask any of your fellow anglers around you that fish for carp, what do they use for carp fishing. That should give you a nice boast in info for flavorings to use as well as dough bait recipes.

10. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i appreciate all the info! i got the poles i really need help on bait and is there any certain places i should fish to hook up more? like shallows, deep water, structure, what?:beat_plaster:

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When the water first starts to warm they go into prespawn mode. They move to the mouths of creeks and shallow and eat heavily. They are at their heaviest during this time. When the water warms enough they spawn and the bite dies down. After spawn (Late May in some places) they will move into deep channels when the surface temps get hot. During the summer fish the channels 10-30ft and the shallows at night. They will hold to structure like other fish, weedlines, gravel beds, concrete slabs, etc. They love trees when hooked, in fact they find a downed tree with ease. The monsters live in the places with many snags and depth changes.

12. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Greetings,

for sure. only hindrance in the state of Michigan is you can only have 2 lines out on inland waters. so one pole to catch cats and one to catch carps. No, one for casting and one pole off the back for either or. Quite frankly i had a static pole off the back and was targeting channels and whilst casting i noticed the line was going on the back rod. Needless to say for about 3 minutes i truthfully thought i had the Michigan record channel cat on the line.

Pound for pound the common carp will rip the gills off of the same weight smallie, snook, pike, etc. The only fish that can touch the incredible stamina and pulling power of the carp swim in the big pond (ocean). Don't stop experimenting though B Pro.

I respectfully disagree. if you are talking channels or the little brown tasty ones yes i agree but a Flattie is hard, hard work. It still eludes me to this day. :embarassed:
    for sure :big_smile: most people i know in the U.S. write them off but anyone that has had one on the line knows better. for sure.

Back to you my man
    if you are targetting them on a lake ( where i would classify them as freshwater whales) then i would defer to the experts... (check Mc Wrestlers photos in the waiting is good thread, (superb stuff) if it's a river than i could help a lil.
    regards, m.a.d.

13. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I dont believe we have any flatheads in this area so i have not had an opportunity to catch one either, but good luck to you to catch one yourself:wink:.

14. Jambal

Jambal New Member

State:
    Overseas - Indonesia
    True .. It's a litte harder to catch carps than cats. Many anglers came up with various formula for baits and you can always try each one of them. In my country, those kind of formulas only allowed in pay-by-weight pond (btw, we rarely fish carp in lake or river). In a tournament pond, the allowable bait must be starch based with additives (essences) while the chum can be of pellet (fish food) based with additives. We don't use a special container (I wish we have it) to put the chum. The chum is usually put around the sinker and when you made the chum make sure you make it so that it easly break loose in the water. Or if you can't make it that way, just snapped it to make it loose and put on your bait and chum again and cast it on the same spot.
    Also, the type of water system and climate (rainy, hot, humid, cold) influences carp appetite. Usually if you fish in the morning, you would use additives of fish based (shrimp, shark, lobster, etc - dominant) combined with fruity or vegetable based (vanilla, lemon, banana, etc). After midday, try using the fruity or vegetable based as dominant component instead of the fish based.
    It works well in my country and I won many time by using this technique (you need to experiment on the composition though). Have it a try and let me know how it goes :wink:

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC... Great post Thanks...