new to bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 1, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i had some time off from school so i made a setup for bowfishing with ideas from rigs on the WEB

i either Fabricated or customized everything for the mounting equipment and the arrow tips because u cant find them here in LHC

the only problem is i dont no how to attach the 20lb BBG to the arrowshaft...

any help with an older set up for arrowshafts

Attached Files:

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    First off 20lb line is not heavy enough. you will want 80lb or stronger. To hook up to your arrow go to some place that sell archery equipment and get the slid attachment that comew with the ames bow fishing set up. You can but them seperate and that is the best way to attach the line to your arrow.

Tom

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i got 40 yo zui hybrid line and ill try that first

i wana get a 15-20 lb carp at the local launch ramp so

i need to get good at bowfishing before i wory about loosing the big one

4. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
  5. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Be sure to use a safety slide.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Shooting carp with a bow is a fun challange. Dont get discouraged if you dont hit to many at first. Just keep shooting and you will have one of the best times you can have.

Tom

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    is there any comments on my equipment

im open to anything.... if i did something wrong tell me ...u wont hurt my feelings

8. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Leroy,
    Having something attached directly to your limb is going to have some effect or your bows performance. Maybe it won't matter for the short shots you make with bowfishing. There is just a lot of enegry transmitted through those limbs and to anything attached to them.
    If at all possible you would be better off just having the rig attached to only the riser.
    You did a good job rigging up the reel and making the bracket.
    Good luck, bow fishing is a ton of fun.:smile2:

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    whats a limb ive herd it before but i cant remember what it is

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    It would not be a good idea to have a fixed bracket on the limbs. It'll change the balance between the limbs and have a high risk of the bow exploding. Bow exploding whilst holding it is being held is very bad.
    You need to either make the bracket to screw into the stabilizer hole or have 100% on the handle so it won't affect the limbs movement.

A fiberglass bowfishing arrow will be better and safer than that graphite arrow shaft. Graphite shaft with a 250-300gr head is not a good combination. Plus the thrashing around that a carp does will tear up lightweight carbon/aluminum arrows enough that you would have to change arrows for each shot.
    Plus with the solid fiberglass arrow, you can use the AMS safety slide. That way you won't have to worry about snapback. (Line getting tangled with the bowstring and arrow comes shooting back you YOU)

For the reel, you need the strongest and limpest line you can get. Monofilament is too stiff and weak to use. When you miss, and bury in the mud or stick a submerged stump, you're going to have to pull real hard to get the arrow back.
    80lb nylon multifilament trotline line at Wal-Mart will work is a better choice for the line.
    As for the reel itself, when using a spincast, keep the drag set real light, in case you forget to push the line release.

:004:

Ain't trying to scare you from going bowfishing, just want you to do it safely. And this is one case where having the proper gear is better than jury rigging the entire set up.

Attached Files:

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well i had some MORE time off because i had my eyes dialated and i couldnt be in the sun ( here in LHC that means HOUSBOUND)

so i looked up how to make some homemade zip reels and the safety slides too!!!

the braided line is 80 lbs and thats 4in PVC pipe

the slides i got from an idea where 2 guys were using the tops off soda cans but i used some metric bolts( because they are small ) and a washer

im hoping ill get to try it out 2nite

Attached Files:

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Curious, what is the shaft made of?
    Is it a graphite hunting shaft? :beat_shot:

13. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    The plastic safety slides can be purchased on line from almost any archery dealer if there are none in your area. The washer on the arrow is not your best option for true arrow flight and if it binds during a shot, you could be in trouble. Don't try to reinvent the wheel here. Take advantage of the experience of those who know better. Use recommended equipment proven to be safe because you could lose an eye or worse. After you have several years of experience under your belt, then start trying different things out. Catfishjon

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    yeeeeeea............:embarassed: i know that isnt the shaft of choice but i thought id try out the reels and go from there

15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Here's what I see as a best case scenario, the arrow breaks at the nock but has enough momentum to go forward enough to not do significant damage to you.
    Worst case, is that it breaks near the point and shoves the remaining 25" of the arrow into you hand.

You just took the weakest shaft material and severely weaken it. By drilling the holes, that cut and crushed the carbon fibers and destroyed any longitudinal and latitude strength that the shaft had.

As for the arrow slide, that is a bad design. It's barely bigger than the shaft itself, plus it has sharp internal edges, which will dig and prevent the washer from sliding.

You also need to get the reel mount off the limb and fully onto the riser. Otherwise, at some point of time, the lower limb will have failure. Just think where the limb would hit you at, when it breaks at full draw.

Wait and get yourself the proper equipment.
    If you can't wait, make sure you have a friend video everything . Having an arrow explode into your hand, should be able to get well over a million Youtube hits.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i would definitely listen to will. just wait the small amount of extra time to get you a proper fishing arrow!! carbon arrows are super dangerous to have breaking anywhere, especially when they have the potential to come back to your face or hands!!!!

17. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Will is right on with his advise! Many years ago I hunted with fiberglass arrows. One day I was practicing in my back yard and had an arrow failure. It was probably cracked but I did not notice anything wrong. I always wear a long sleeve shirt and don't wear an armguard when I use a bow. I came to full draw and released. I heard an explosion and my arm went numb. I dropped the bow and looked at my arm. I could see the point of the arrow about 30 feet in front of me and nothing else. I thought at that instant that the rest was in my arm. I unbuttoned my sleeve as the numbness changed to pain and found a bad bruse almost the length of my arm, but no arrow in it. I was luckey. I never found the rest of that arrow. I took all my arrows and broke them and put them in the garbage. I bought alumn. arrows after that. When graphite arrows came out I did not buy them. I still can't forget how close I came to being seriously injured by sticking to fiberglass arrows simply because I wanted to save my money while I used up the fiberglass arrows. A friend had been trying to get me to buy alumn. arrows for over a year and I would not listen to him. I could not draw a bow for over a month. I was stupid and lucky to have the full use of my arm today. Had that arrow gone into my arm, I would most certanily not have the full use of it for the rest of my life. Please, listen to these guys! You may get away with jury rigged equipment for awhile, but it will hurt you. Its just a matter of time and that could be the next time you pull it back. Catfishjon

18. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i saw some ways u can use alum. tubing for arrows and its safer

i looked at the way the arrows splintered yesterday and i pulled the knochs off and threm in the plants for supports

i cant ride my sportster to school with a arrow stuck in it so im done with my ideas for carbon

19. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just spend the $15 for a bowfishing arrow,tip,and safety slide.Your reel will work just fine.If you want i can send you some pictures of homemade stuff stuck in peoples hands,arms,chests and other place you do NOT want stuff stuck.We are just trying to help you out not disscourge you.I bet if you took that arrow to your local archery shop they would probaly GIVE you a fiberglass arrow if you can't afford one if you gave them that one so you don't hurt yourself or heaven forbid someone standing next to you.Please just trust us on this,I shoot fish 4 to 5 time a week and do not want to see anyone getting hurt over $15.There is quite abit of money to be made if you pursue this the right way.There are tourney all over the nation that pay pretty good to shoot trash fish and help clean up the lakes.PLEASE BE CAREFULL!!!