New to BOC, question on Schuylkill River?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by tbarb227, Jan 28, 2009.

1. tbarb227

tbarb227 New Member

State:
    South Jersey
    hey guys. i found this website through google just trying to find out any info i could about catfishin. i mostly fish racoon creek and the big d right around the commodore barry bridge, but would like to expand my horizons this year and get a change of scenery lol.

im a union carpenter in philly and have heard some good things about the skuk. i am completely clueless when it comes to it tho. are there any good boat ramps you guys would recommend? i have a 16ft v bottom with a 50 evinrude (no power tilt/trim) this will be fine in there right? also any advice about it is greatly appreciated.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to The BOC. I am not in the philly area, but the guys from the skuke are quite regular and will come along shortly.

Just out of curiousity, are you hoping to tangle with trophy size flatheads, too?

Stick with the site its a great chance to learn and share.

3. tbarb227

tbarb227 New Member

State:
    South Jersey
    thanks for the welcome. yes i have never caught a flathead and would love to get into some big fish!

i just really want to get a change of scenery i rarely left the racoon creek last year because of the convenience. i would just leave my boat at my friends dock and just hop in and go, but this year i would like to get into some different waters.

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to a whole new world, after I caught my first large flathead (tho it was prolly only 15-20#), I was shaking with excitement and didn't dream of fishing for something else that whole summer.... (and Ironically I haven't caught another fish of that size since)...

then I moved away. There are no flats locally. but, even the channels are still some of the biggest fish in the river and very enjoyable. Don't need saltwater equiptment or 80#test line for them.:smile2:

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Welcome Tom you will get some great tips and advice on this site turned me from a channel cat fisherman from Mohnton,pa into a fisherman who dreams of catching a 20-30 pound flathead this spring ,Good luck to you I'm sure you can get maps with boat launches from Pa fish and Boat Commission.I would start there and find some convenient launches and start with some medium heavy rods and reels at least 30# test line I use 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks and live sunfish hooked through the tail not too close to the spine or the organs target logjams structure bridge pylons .That's the best advice I can give you because I myself have never caught a flathead but thats the advice I have received so I pass it to you good luck:wink:

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Tom youll love it here,its the best the web has to offer,good ppl here and youll get a ton of anwsers to ya questions if ya ask,trust me,again welcome ,set back and learn........

7. tbarb227

tbarb227 New Member

State:
    South Jersey
    wow i think these are the fastest responses ive ever received on a forum post haha. thanks jim for the advice on the pa fish and boat commission ill have to look into that.

i already have a couple 7' MH setups with shimano baitrunner 4500s spooled with 40# power pro so that will work out good. hopefully the new Lowrance depthfinder/gps combo will be on its way soon too!! this cabin fever has me itching to get back onto the water i cant stop looking at new gear and reading about the catties.

by the way i fish some tournaments down my way (no flatties permitted tho because they are jersey tournaments and no flatties are found in jersey). do you pa guys run any?

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Tom. Why in the world would ya wanna leave racoon creek and the big "D". LOL! I'm sure ya still have plenty of river to explore. LOL! I been fishin it for alot of years. Where do ya keep your boat? I use the Buttonwood launch.

9. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Welcome to the BOC

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to The BOC

11. tbarb227

tbarb227 New Member

State:
    South Jersey
    hey george, haha racoon creek will always be my favorite spot to go but i just want to see what else is out there. you are right i do have alot of the river to explore. i was waiting to finish my fishin boat, which is just about done.

i also use buttonwood to launch in and out and for duck hunting. during the summer i keep the boat all the way down in swedesboro at my friend max's dock right past the locke ave bridge. i was out all the time last season we may have crossed paths. do you fish out there alot?

12. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Tom...welcome to the BOC. Sorry, I do not know much about boat ramps as I am strictly a bank fisherman, but I have been fishing the Skuke for the past year. There are others on here that could give you much better advice on catching flats. I am still figuring out where to fish but plan on hitting some of the tidal areas of the river this season.

You ever fish for stripers?

Good to have another brother on here fishing the Skuke. Hope to meet up someday.

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site tom, use caution when runnin the skuke, i've hit bottom and rocks a few times, it can go from 6 ft to 1 ft without notice, there have been spots i've had to lift the motor up and get out of the boat and pull the boat up river 70 yrd. just ta get back into 3 ft again, there are few ramps along the skuke with decent water to run, and then ya have to deal with ya-hoo's on jet ski's and pleasure boaters, the majority of decent spots on the skuke are from shore, sounds like ya already have the right tackle with the MH action poles and baitrunners, i use 80# power pro with 40# big cat mono as a leader on a shimano 4500 with 8/0 circle hooks and a lively 5-8 inch sunny or any large live bait, i use such heavy line cause of lots of rocks and cover ta pull these fish from, hope this helps:wink:

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

If I ain't out on that river at least once maybe twice a week from March 1st through the end of November I get real ugly. LOL! Uglier than usual. LOL! Thats pretty far up the creek. I used to motor on up that way when I had my smaller Jon. Gotta get ya down river toward the delaware memorial. Lots of fine fishin out there if ya play the tides rite. Eels is the ticket. Send me your number if ya like. Perhaps I can get ya out some time. All ya gotta bring is your gear and whatever ya eat and drink. I'll warn ya now. I'm out there for at least 10 hours maybe more. LOL! Hope to hear from ya.:cool2:

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you wanna fish the tidal Skuke below Fairmount Dam, you can launch out of West Deptford and make the 13 mile run up.

The only other 2 launches that I know of on the Skuke is the Gladwyne launch and the Blackrock luanch.

No fishing from boats in the city area due to the popularity of rowing.

16. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    It looks like it is going to be a crazy spring with all of the newbies on the Skuke. this year.:smile2: Just telling you guys now. Stay out of my way.:wink::smile2:

17. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well you guys could come up to the upper alleghany 6 hrs, north and west...

its not like you'll catch many, if any flathead catfish-- but Hey I could use the company!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    welcome to the boc

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member