New to BOC, First Entry, Weekend Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by HookLineSinker, Oct 14, 2007.

1. HookLineSinker

HookLineSinker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm new to the site, and really glad to see that everyone is kind enough to share the info. I've been fishiing the Dutch Gap area for about three years. I know Jordan Point area for Striper but never gave the blues a try until last weekend.

10/6: Fished bridge area as I had a stuck float and had to use my kicker motor. Guess I was a victim of ethanol and not running the carbs dry. Fished from about 10AM Sat to 2AM Sunday. First fish was a 10 lbs., the second broke the line at my third attempt to land with boga grips. It was huge, about 12 inches across at the head. I was quickly convinced the BHB area holds some big cats. I also changed my mind about not needing a net and switched to steel leaders.

10/13: Fished from 5:00 to 11:00pm. Couple 15lb. range, one 31 and another 32lbs. and 42 inches long.

I hope to meet some other folks fishing the area, as it's always good to know some other boats while at night.

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Mark, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet. Excellent 1st post brother, thanks for sharing.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.Look forward to reading your post.

5. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Welcome Mike. Looks like you had a good day on the river! Maybe I will run into you up there some time.:roll_eyes: I can't wait to get back up there and go fishing again.

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Mark....welcome to BOC....I've been a member a while but pretty much a lurker. Congatulations on the catch and thanks for the post.

I'm trying to get familar with the James....I've got maps but still would like to get some info.
    I'm guessing the power plant is right there at Dutch Gap Landing??
    I read an artice that mentioned.... the Dutch Gap area, barge pits and spray pond...for catching shad....would you enlighten me on that???
    Around BHB how much weight are you using?
    Are you using shad for bait...if so is it cut bait and what size??
    Thanks,
    Jerry

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Glad to have you here Mark, welcome to the BOC.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome from NE Florida

10. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Welcome Mark nice first report I be down the 11 -15 november with my daughter send me a pm if your going to be out any of them days or nights.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Mark, were glad your here!!

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC. That was really a good first post. Hopefully you'll get your 10 posts in real quick so then we can see some great pictures of your catch.Looking forward to reading more from you.Again WELCOME!!

13. FDR

FDR Member

State:
    Ohio,Cincinnati
    Welcome to the BOC

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mark.

15. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I was out there same time as you. I was in a white 16' Cape Craft cc by myself. I was up near Osbourne until maybe 10, then made my way downriver. What do you drive?

IMO, you can't beat Deep Bottom for bait. You can still hammer the shad on the grassy flats there.

16. HookLineSinker

HookLineSinker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    JPritch: I've got a 16' Carolina Skiff and ususally have a black lab with me. There are plenty of Skiffs, but not too many with a big black dog begging for cut bait. If you see me, wave me down.

justlearning: Bait can usually be found by cast net at two pipes just upriver from Va. Power. It's a pretty good place to start if you don't have a special spot. Just be willing to tear or lose your net as there is sunken rebar and boulders just under the pipes. Another good clue when looking for bait is a blue herrin. They may look like they are waisting time, but they often hang around bait.

17. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    welcome to the BOC.

18. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Jerry! You really pack some good information in that post. I look forward reading more from you! :big_smile:

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome home Mark, now get that post count up! :smile2::wink:

20. kampfire

kampfire New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish the Appomattox a lot, and catch 3-5 pounders. I want to fish Hopewell, BH Bridge and around there. I just don't know the places to begin

Mitchell in VA