New to BOC and new to flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tfabry, Jan 24, 2007.

1. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Hello to all my BOC brothers!

Hey I need some help getting started. We just moved back to Wisconsin from Sunny Florida. We live on the Wolf River and and for many years Ive had the pleasure of eating Flathead. I my opion ther is NOTHING that tastes better. But now it's my turn and I cant wait. The locals wont share the secrets so please enlighten me. I was planning on bank poles we can run 5 poles with 2 hooks each (total of 40 for a family of 4) What size hook, what pound test line, how do you rig it, or would one set line work better ??what bait works best?? We have a huge abundance of night crawlers that can be used too. I guessing that the lines will be approx 250' -300' = 2/3 the width of the river. There are some holes / depressions right out in front of my house so I will be tragetting that area. How do you night fish for cats too - is it simply just jigging the bottom at night with stinky dead bait??? Thanks for all the info - TODD

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    well.....when i bank fish at night i simply use a pole with about 20 pound test line.i place a sinker at the bottom of the line and i place a hook about 18 inches above the sinker and anouther hook about 10 inces above the first hook both on a 9 inch lead......if you just want eaters i have found that this is the best method for me in ohio.....i use ether night crawler or crawdad

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I wanted to say welcome to the BOC brother. you are definetely in the right place.

Although I am not familiar with Wisconsin water, I know there are plenty of brothers on here that will be able to help you out!

Surf the other threads and you can probably find your answers as well!

Again, Welcome

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well,Todd,I can't help you much on the Ohio waters but I can give you a very HEARTY WELCOME to the BOC.Hang in there some of the Ohio natives will most likely step forward with your ? I can tell you though that Flat heads like live or cut bait (fresher the better )over anything else.If youcan get Shad from your locol water your better off.Thier not much on stinky bait,thats channels who likes that. Good luck on your QUEST for MR FLATHEAD
    :0a25: :0a26:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC todd from another Mo. member. Your gonna love it!!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC Todd! Try live bream, shad, or skipjack.

7. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome to the brotherhood Todd. I know Iowa and Wisconsin are close so I would think the waters are about the same. First read as many of the posts as you can, then start experimenting. Thats half the fun. Once you find what works for you tell me so I can catch more fish lol. Good luck!

8. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Welcome to the BOC its the best place to get all the info you need to fish for all cats. But moving from florida to cold country,,,lol I,m INDY but been down here in florida for 6 years now and dont think i could go back to the cold. But up in INDY we used sucker chubs or creek chubs one just jumps more than the other to fish for flatheads cut them for blues and channels. 10 foot rod with 25 lb test line with 1 1/2 oz sinker 12" leader and a 0/4 circle hook. Lay on the bottom and wait. Hope this will help you. BC

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Todd! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you :smile2:! By the way, you have quite a few sisters around here too :tounge_out:. Good luck on your flathead quest buddy!

10. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Todd.:big_smile_2:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25: :0a25: Todd we are glad to have you on board at the BOC. I hope you get over the Climate Shock. That move is quite a change in average temperature. I agree with another post. Read as much as you can on flatheads on this web site and go experiment. Also there will be others from your new neck of the woods that will have some answers for you.:0a18: :0a26: :0a25:

12. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Todd.Watch it its very addictive.:cool2:

13. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    Live bait is the way to go, bluegills, green sunfish, etc. The more it struggles on the hook, the better. Look for snaggy areas and put your bait near them. Flats usually bite better at night, but can be caught in daytime too. patience is important, but keep trying and youll get one and it is TOTALLY worth the effort. good luck!

14. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    Welcome to the BOC.

Five poles per person, that is a lot, LOL! Like these guys have said, try the bluegill, also stuff like creek chubs, bull heads, shad, small carp, etc.

I would steer you toward some abu garcia 6500 reels on some ugly stick cat rods, but that could get pricey for forty poles! You can get some decent spinning combos at your local walmart for about $20. I think shakespere makes a 'tiger combo'.

As for rigging, I have attached a diagram of a simple slip sinker rig. Don't cheap out on the hooks, I usually buy Gamakatsu octopus hooks, good hooks. For lb test on the line, go for 17lb test or better. I have never used anything over thirty.

Again, welcome to the BOC and be sure to check out the library. Lots of knowledge there.

EDIT

Forgot about hook size. I use an 8/0. Remember, a flathead has a BIG mouth.

Attached Files:

• rig.JPG
      rig.JPG
      File size:
      4.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Karoake_katfish

Karoake_katfish New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    welcome to the B.O.C. Todd.

16. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome new brother . Do some searchin around the site , and ask some questions ,these folks are the best .

17. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    welcome to the BOC Todd, we are glad to have you aboard...and good luck on the information search...hope you catch alot.

18. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Welcome, here you will find alot of knowlege to help you.

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Todd - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: :0a23: :006:

20. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Go with live bait brother the bigger the better! I would say bluegils in the 4-6 inch range will cover your needs. Patience Patience Patience. Good luck once it warms up

Aaron

TA2D