New to boating...

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Jerry60k, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have looked around a little and have learned alot about things on the BOC.I think if some of you veteran boaters could do a beginners guide to boating man that would be awesome.

I just bought a boat and aside from trailering it to the water I am still kinda lost.

I do know that I wont be launchin during busy or peak hours so as not to tie up the dock.

Any tips or information would be great or should I say ALL tips and info.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    One thing I'd recommed is to go to the B.O.C. Library and read the article on the US Coast Guard Rules and Regulations. You need a rudimentry knowledge of these rules for safe boating. AND, when you see idiots doing something stupid, you can always remark "Man, they need to read those rules". LOL

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    there are boating safety class's you can take on line . Just like hunter safety it would not hurt for everyone to at least look them over

4. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Always keep your lights on at night(will save your family a late night call)

Suggest, when you are in a river especially, idle by other boats that are are anchored.

Give yourself plenty of room between you and boats/docks.

Idle if you are within 100' of a dock or boat

5. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    good links Joe,thanx for them I know Jerry will like em,and welcome to the boc brother keep on postin....

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    One scary thing about boating while the ramp is busy, always have a system and follow it. I can launch faster without help than with, except it is nice to have someone to hold the rope.

I pull up to the prep area (wide area right before the ramp) an get out of the truck and remove all straps except the nose ring attached to the trailer. I then remove the transom saver (metal rod from trailer bottom propping up motor) and insert plug. Then, if alone I place launch rope ( long rope attached to cleat up at deck front on the side that will be toward the dock cleat. I then get into the vehicle and get lined up on the ramp and back down to the waters edge. I then quickly get out and tie launch rope to the dock cleat or the trailer as necessary unhook the nose and back the boat off the trailer. I then secure the boat to the dock. After parking the truck, I take off.

Never hesitate to ask for help. I will ALWAYS help a new, distracted or frustrated boater because I have been there.

Congrats on the new boat and have a great summer!

7. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    When backing a trailer learn how to use your mirrors. Keep your eye on the back wheel in the mirror on the side of the dock. In otherwords if the dock is on the passenger side you use your left mirror and watch your left trailer tire. Go steadily and slowly making sure your front end doesn't get crazy. You should, once you are lined up, not get your nose (of your truck) more than 2-3 feet off center. The longer the truck and boat the easier, although blazers and exploers are slightly more maneuverable.

Good Luck!

8. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    take a tip from this gentleman. figure yourself out a system when launching or loading. start from the front and work your way to the back of the boat or visa versa. however you do it i suggest doing it the same everytime. when i have forgot to put the plug in or left a tiedown on it is usually someone trying to help me and it gets me out of my system. they are just trying to help.

9. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    When loading in current use a long approach if necessary. Time your drift so that the nose comes into the trailer over the upstream trailer wheel and come in with some power. This will allow the river to help place the nose between the bunks as you come on the trailer.
    To clarify face the boat nose to shore and watch it come to shore drifting down. 50 yards out you will be across the current but your nose will be facing shore 30 yards upriver from the trailer.

I believe the actual terminology is called quartering but I am not sure.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good links joe thanks for sharing them with us