New to boating

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Txhunter93, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Txhunter93

Txhunter93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am new to boating here in texas and i have a boat that does not have a bill of sale or any information and i do not know how to get tags for it?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your in for a lot of grief. You can get a tittle through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Although I don't have first hand knowledge of the procedures, another Texas brother said it takes up to three years to get the title. It is frustrating, but they have to check to insure the boat was not reported stolen, and then the program so long into the future to make sure it is not reported stolen. Long, drawn out process. There are people who do all the leg work and coordination with TPWD, for a fee of from around $75.00 to $500.00. For that type of money, its cheaper to do it yourself and just get irritated at the governmental delay.

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    First of all, welcome to the BOC. Before you spend any money on the boat, call Texas Parks and Wildlife. Find out what you need and get the process started. Is this an old old boat? If its a really old boat, you might not have too much of a problem. If it looks like it is a 70's, 80's or newer boat and there is no HIN, then you might have a problem. Boats that have no Hull Identification number are that way for a reason. Generally someone is trying to hide something or conceal it's true identity. I would get a game warden to come out and look at the boat and see what he can find.

Now onto the Trailer, if you have one. I'm sure the trailer hasn't been registered for a long time. You're going to have get the trailer inspected by an auto theft investigator. He will give you a fom "68-a". Then you will take the form to the local tax office and they will issue plates. If the trailer is manufactured, and it has a gross weight of more than 4000 lbs the paperwork must go through a TXDOT regional office. Don't get the inspection done until you're ready to get the tags for it, because the form has a 30 day expiration. If you can see on the trailer where a VIN used to b e, and there is what appears to be marks of intentional alteration... you've got a problem. On boat trailers though, the Mylar label generally fades out on it's own.