New to boating

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by turnerchop5, Jan 18, 2009.

1. turnerchop5

turnerchop5 Member

State:
    ky
    Recently boat my first catfish rig.1994, 17' deep-v tracker. Bought it from a relative, so I know the boat has less than 50 hrs on it. It set alot in a barn. I have had it out twice. I have replaced the water impeller, and now I think the starter is out. What maintenence do u reccomend to do. Looking to buy a manual for it soon. I know the gas is old as well. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Getting a manual should be your first priority...Other than that regular routine maintenance is a must. Changing the lower unit lube, impellar which you have already done, spark plugs, etc...If it were me, I would get every ounce of old gas out of the boat, really just depends on how it looks. When I first got my boat my fuel was a very dark yellow, and just flat out nasty. I removed it all from the tank and the motor itself. May not be a bad idea to rebuild the carbs if it has been sitting for a long time with fuel in the carbs. Check all the fuel lines also. From the information you have given me thats about all I can tell you, bubakat will probably have more info I am sure. What makes you think your starter is bad?

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Also, engine year, make, horse power may be helpful.

4. turnerchop5

turnerchop5 Member

State:
    ky
    Took it a couple of weeks ago when weather was nice. It started fine. Ran kind of bad especially when u try to fully throttle it. So I just figured it was the old gas and needs new fuel filter. Fished a hole on the Licking, then decided to move. Went to start it and nothing. Took the cap off and the Starter (cilinoid was stuck) Starter spends but that is it. Thanks for the help. It is a 1994 mercury mariner 40 hp.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a 1988 mariner 40hp and those are good motors, mine purrs like a kitten and is very relieable:wink:

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just my experience, but it sounds like you need to do a rebuild on the carbs, its easy to do and relativley cheap. Of course if you want to go through the troubleshooting steps which is a good idea, a good start is always to do a compression check and a spark check. Almost sounds like you have some clogged jets.