New to boating, what kind of lights?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by MichaelP, Apr 7, 2008.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just got a new 17 ft boat and was wondering what the rest of you guys have for lighting. Its kind of hard navigating by starlight. I was wondering if you attach lights, or just use a spotlight.
    Lemme know if you have any tips or ideas.

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i use a hand held spot light.. i do have some docking lights on the front as well.. they work pretty well when at slow speeds but really don't do much for you when at speed. not sure if they are really legal when under way to be honest. I only really use them on lakes etc. along the shore.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a fixed marine boat spotlight-a good hand held!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd suggest whatever type of lights you try, install them on a temporary measure at first. Most boaters who have mounted lights on their boats are not happy with the results. Basically, you set the lights while you are at rest in the water... soon as you power up, the bow comes up and the next thing you know your looking for airplanes. Then it gets on a plane and the bow comes down...but very seldom are you running on a mirror, so the lights are shining up in the air slightly or at the bottom of the wave under your bow. A handheld spotlight is probably the best, but shucks, everyone to their own opinion.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use a hand held only for spotting. I find if I just let things go dark and give time for my eyes to adjust I can see way more then when a light is on.

6. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    I USE A HANDHELD BUT WOULD LIKE TO GET A GOOD FIX MOUNT.SINCE I FISH ALOT BY MYSELF IT GETS TOUGH HOLDING A LIGHT,STEERING WHEEL,& THE THROTTLE AT THE SAME TIME.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I almost always boat at night using two -i run the boat hand held my other will run my fixed spot....Spot the bouyes so I can run the channal-I like the extra eyes not sayin I aint been out there by myself though ......

8. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You guys kinda confirmed what I was thinking. It would be impractical to put any type of lights other than some adjustable spotlights or handheld. Just dont want to pull what one of my friends at work did and hit a sandbar at full speed.