New to boating please help

Discussion in 'Boating' started by river bum, Aug 2, 2008.

1. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    i just bought a 12 foot aluminum vhall from a yard sale for 100$. i want to put a small gas motor on it,but it has no paper work and no numbers on the side the guy said he had none of it what should i do ?

2. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If the guy you bought it from can't or won't supply more info, I'd take the model and serial number to the fish and game folks in your state and check registration. It's possible someone bought it and just used it on a private pond, but it also could be stolen. If it has ever been registered you will have to go back to the last official owner. Either way the fish and game office will likely be helpful. If it's stolen, you don't want to be caught riding around in it no matter how good the bargain!!!

3. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    model is unknown and there is no serial number its just a bare aluminum boat

4. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
  5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Be sure to get a bill of sale from the person you bought it from. Since it doesn't have a model or serial number, call the coastguard or watercraft office and ask them when you can bring it in for an inspection. Just take the bill of sale with you as proof and they will make a hull i.d. number for you to affix to the boat. Then take that number and bill of sale to the title office to get your title for it. I've been through this before and these were the steps I took. Hope it helps!:wink:

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I answered several calls to help owners id cars, boats and guns. That was in the days of old when knights were bold and would help by providing a service other than just locking folks up. Any how, check all over for a plate or where a plate could have been. Usually the transom. Look under the seats and all along the top edges of the hull. Check the bow, inside and out. Not finding any numbers, then call the coast guard or the fish and game folks and ask for assistance, you may luck up and find one willing to help out beyond the letter of the law. Ask them about the seaworthiness of the vessel. Motor possibilities, etc. Shoot, post some pictures here and someone is sure to have some advice. Good luck.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've got one of those orphans, too.

My state has a procedure for registering boats like this, but I haven't bothered with doing it...I just use it on ponds and small creeks where no one is going to know or care whether it's registered.

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Keep it off of Keystone....lol last time I was there I had the Highway Patrol pull me over......My brother had the boat on about every lake in Oklahoma and had been stopped by other highway patrol, park rangers, game wardens, ect, never had a problem, but for some reason the one who stopped us had all kinds of problems with the lettering on my boat, he told me I needed to space the lettering out. I started to ask him if he was half blind or just illiterate. Thought better about. Kind of funny, when it happened my brother was driving, had my Grandson (6 years old) in the boat with me, my brother pulled up along side of him, his first words to my brother was, are you drinking, and are you the driver of this boat. I started to say no Nate (grandson) was but he had a little bit to much to drink. I probably would have gotten away from that one with about 10 tickets. He didnt like the way my fire extingusher was located, he thought my grandson's life jacket was to big, blah blah.....

9. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    what do mean by a bill of sale

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    That would be your receipt you got from the person you bought the boat from. If you didn't get one, might want to see about getting one.
    :0a26:​

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, doesn't have to be anything fancy. Your name, his name, date of sale, price, description of the boat.

I ----------sold-------------- to ---------- for ----------- on-------08. signed----------

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Post an email address and I'll email you one in a Word format.

13. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    thanks but i already got one for him

14. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    here are some pics of the boat

Attached Files:

15. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Looks like a fine ride! In addition to reading the library for rigging make sure to read up on boating safety. I've owned boats for 40+ years and still love being out on the water. I've had a ton of fun and seen some tragic things that could have been prevented with a little planning and knowledge.

Happy boating!

16. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Looks and sounds like a great boat. I agree, Safety is a must. Be sure and read up on state laws and regulations. Boating is one of my favorite things in life, Yet I also have see some accidents that could have been prevented. Be Safe and Enjoy. :0a23: Bet we see a New PB coming up soon. ​

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It can be hand written or typed, just a letter from or note from the seller that stated that he sold you the boat and at what price. This protects you, and also helps while trying to get it legal

18. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Just have something in writing that says who you bought it from, how much you paid, your name as the buyer and you both sign and date it. Get it notarized if possible. In NC on boats like that and older boats with no numbers that usually does the trick. I think VA is similar as I sold an old boat in NC to a guy in VA and the guy I sold it too had me fill out that kind of papers..for him to register it in VA..
    A 3-5hp motor is plenty for that little boat, or an electric trolling motor and a couple of batteries will do fine... Transome mount trolling motors are always cheap "used" and deep cycle batteries from WalMart work fine just keep them recharged after each trip.
    Briggs and Stratton makes a nice air cooled, low maintainence motor and they run about $350-$500 used. Any of the older little outboards are cheap, just make sure parts are still available for the brand you are looking at...

19. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Just saw the pics... Man you scored!! Easy way to check for leaks is to fill the boat with water and see if any runs out, mark the spots and scuff them good with some 80grit sandpaper and mix up some JB Weld epoxy and patch em up!! Keep in mind a "V" hull isn't as stable as a flat bottom so don't stand quicly or make sudden moves.. Please keep a vest on or at least handy.. Big boats can act like idiots and get you in trouble if you are out where they are.. Just because you CAN swim doesn't mean you'll be able too if you get knocked out...

20. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if you haven't gotten an good answer.... around here the local highway patrol can help with that... but I would have to think a 9.9hp should be plenty for it. Just my 2 cents.