New to Board....Lake Conway in Arkansas: Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by dmbutler47, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dmbutler47

dmbutler47 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I just read something about Lake Conway cats. Where are the best spots and what are the best baits? Also, how will the summer droppage affect the fish? Thanks!!!

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Just wanted to tell you welcome to the BOC

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC. I've never fished Conway for catfish, but I've heard that the old ponds that existed before the lake was built are good spots. I think that maps are available showing their locations. I think that those spots and down near the dam are the only deep spots in that lake.

4. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I mainly fish for bream - crappie but I also trotline for catfish.

While crappie fishing (with jigs) at hwy 89 bridge (creek channel) - I've seen several people catch catfish on nightcrawler pieces and minnows i.e. the crappie and bream fishman catch catfish at the bridge also

As mentioned there are some old ponds - I've been meaning to try one that is right along side the levee going to the damn (nobody seems to know it's there or fish it - and my depth finder says it's 15ft deep and full of big fish (maybe all gar :)

As you probably know 15' is deep for this lake :)

Also the old timers around the lake say anywhere along the old creek channel from the hwy 89 bridge to the end of the creek (right beside the deep pond I mentioned - which is NOT at the damn as people might suspect :) :)

I got a lot of catfish on a trotline in the flat off the side of the channel last year - but they didn't pick up on the damn end until about May (I think they are all upstream in April then gradually start moving back toward damn (my theory and I'm sticking to it - and haven't got around to trotline fishing until just this week since it's almost May

Summary: Old timers around Lake Conway - say that catfishing is good in April on upper end (better than River in April cause shallow lake warms fast). Then by May / June the catfish are in deep holes (Adams Lake, ponds, bridge channel, etc) This is time I had best luck on trotline fishing on flat just off the channel from hwy 89 bridge to levee at damn

Sorry to ramble - not awake yet - probably repeated myself several times. Almost daylight and time to go fishing - some crappie are still biting around Gold Creek is what I heard :)

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    David Danner, Welcome to the B.O.C. Enjoy your stay here. Although I am from Arkansas, I have Never fish Lake Conway. I Mostly fish the Arkansas river from Piney Bay to the dam. We do have a couple members from Conway. I am sure the will be posting telling you HI.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

7. frosty_whiskers

frosty_whiskers New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm sure that you'll get all the answers that you need here!

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member. Like Frosty said, you will get alot of answers on here. Tons of info that take weeks/months to read.

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    David and John, Welcome to the Brotherhood. Just make yourselves at home. I'm looking forward to learning how to catfish Lake Conway with you guys. We moved to Conway last July from Beebe we had to move anyway so I talked the wife into coming here to put me an hour closer to my favorite 2 fishing holes; Lake Conway and the Arkansas River at Palarm. I have always fished the lake for redears and bream but I haven't catfished it since 1978 or so and I'm hoping to get to try it some this year. I have a buddy whose father-in-law lived on the lake at Branddon's sp? Landing for 22 years and he is suppose to show me where he use to fish. (he passed away 4 years ago)
    The bream are spawning right now and I'm just having to much fun to fish for anything else. We'll work together and figure out those lake cats.
    Where do you guys live and what landing do you fish out of the most?

ST

10. dmbutler47

dmbutler47 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I live in Jacksonville, I usually fish the Pierce Creek area, but I think I will have to move further up the lake, I have not had much luck the last two times I was out, I was not catfishing then, but could not get into the crappie or brim.

11. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey David, welcome to the BOC. I've never fished Lake Conway, so I can't help ya there, But I'm sure someone will be around to help ya.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's been a coon's age since I fished Lake Conway. Is Pierce Creek the area between the narrows on 89 and the 4 way intersection? Where the F&G executive retreat is located?

13. dmbutler47

dmbutler47 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yes, that is the Pierce Creek area.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's what I was thinking. Back when I was stationed here in Arkansas, LRAFB had a recreation area on Lake Conway right where the executive retreat is now located. I used to do a lot of ba$$ fishing right in there. No motor...just a boat & paddle...scull around the stumps & catch fish. Don't even seem like ba$$ fishin' by today's standards.

15. dmbutler47

dmbutler47 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    All I do is go around in a 16ft flatbottom with a trollong motor. There are so many stumps if I had a motor I dont know if I could navigate it without having to swim back to shore, I even hit them with the trolling motor... anything for fish though!!!

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Navigating Lake Conway isn't a problem with an outboard as long as you use common sense. Of course, you still have to go slow, and definitely don't lock down the motor. In fact, if the motor has a shallow water setting, that's where you want it. The biggest trick is when you feel the boat starting to go up onto a stump that's just under the surface of the water---should you try to stop the boat and back off, or give it the gun and power on over the stump? Pick wrong, and you can end up stuck on a stump. Carry an anchor small enough to throw at least 15'-20' with strong rope attached to it so that you can use it to pull yourself off the stump just in case the motor can't do the job. I'm just not sure how well my new composite prop is going to stand up to that kind of use.

17. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Guys, We bream fished the lake again yesterday we only kept 27 and still ain't found the redears. I was visiting with a game & fish employee yesterday ( I don't think he was a game warden because he wasn't toting a gun but he had a game and fish truck) and he said that they were going to drop the water level 4 feet on the first of July and leave it like that until December. We were talking about how the lily pads and other vegetation had ruined the upper part of the lake. I asked him if that was the reason for pulling the water off. He said that a lot of people were wanting to work on their boat houses and docks and did eventually say that he thought the land owners were going to work on the vegetation problem. I hope they can do something to help with that problem.
    There will be some places that we will still be able to launch a boat on the deeper west side of the lake and you know what? There will be the same number of fish in a whole lot smaller amount of water. That should make for some good fishing.

ST

18. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I probably know the AGFC manager that you talked to. I've lived on Lake Conway for a year and have spent a lot of time trying to fix up my fishing area (brush pile, etc). I talk to the area manager from time to time - about what I can and can not do.

I don't post often on this forum because I do not fish with R&R - I only trotline and use yo-yo's to fill my freezer. I went to dam a couple days ago and got some shad - and Wed night got one 5lb channel - then last night a 2.5 lb flathead. - both on yo-yo in 3 ft of water - near a brush pile in front of my house.

I also had a 15 hook trotline for 3 nights but the turtles got the bait (I can tell cause they eat the gut section out of the shad and leave the rest + caught one Wed night

Anyway - I've talked to my neighbors and the AGFC guy is optimistic. As far as I know - I'm the only one near the hwy 89 bridge that plans to clear out the silt / bottom (I need the fill for my yard - plus I had planned to clear in front of my neighbors house - where I bream fish :)

Also the AGFC guy probably did not mention that he and a a warden are going door to door and giving people 60 days to clear up their pier / boat house area (which is good IMHO - but way past due and people are not always listening - despite the 'promise' of a fine.

This manager is fairly New (started here last year in March) He is HOPING people will clear out their area and fix up their fishing piers - but a lot of these people are retired on fixed income and just do not have the money. I suspect he will be sadly disapointed in how many people will do ANYTHING.

I was lucky - and had already planned a new fishing pier (which I just finished 2 weeks ago) and I have a boat house that I built when I moved up here last year.

Anyway - I was just thinking - this is a public lake - so ANYONE that wanted to clear out a bank area when they draw down the lake would probably be welcome by the landowners that can't afford / are not physically able to clear it out themselves.

i.e. maybe you (or others) will want to clear out the silt in a couple of places (places you fish) Which will really help make it a bream bed and better yet a crappie fishing spot. The Redear will move to a rocky / hard bottom is what I hear The are couple coves near my place that I may go clear out myself - especially one with a log jam - would be perfect for crappie. I've heard that during the last draw down (8ft. in 1999) a couple of people had pea gravel hauled in - and they have secret Redear bed AND Crappie bed (black crappie love rocky bottom is what the regulars tell me)

I'm rambling - and it's almost time to bait the yo-yo's - I didn't get to dam today and pick up shad - so I'm going to try DK on the yo-yo's - see it that works. I went this PM and pulled trotling - which is what I do most weekends i.e. I use it during week when less chance of bass fishman cutting it. On weekends - I don't fish much (cept maybe a couple yo-yo off my fishing pier)

I'll go Sunday and really stock up on Shad after these Rains.

BTW: If you really want TONS of bream - the bream beds around this lake are Best 3 days before the full moon to 2 days after the full moon - at least that is how I fill my freezer. The rest of the month they are spread out and takes longer to catch a ice chest full

19. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Wow John, I can see I can learn a lot from you about the lake. We wanted to get a place on the water but we just couldn't find a place that we liked and could afford. I think it would be awesome to sit in the backyard and prop a rod up on a forked stick and wait on a jerk. Maybe someday.
    We have always fished the upper end of the lake by the old Palarm Creek (where you had to pay,not the public one) boat launch. That bank there that runs east and west use to be as good a redear fishing hole as anywhere I've ever seen. The only problem was that the lily pads took it over pretty quick. Two years ago we started noticing some of that floating matt of vegetation (I don't know what it's called) and it seemed to get worse every day. We have even hooked onto it and drug it out away from our fishing holes. I didn't get to fish any last year and I went over and checked it out this year and I couldn't believe how bad it was I never even launched the boat. Since we were from Beebe we always fished that area because it was closer but since we've moved to Conway I'm wanting to start fishing on the west side in deeper water but I just haven't took time to explore it. We have done all of our fishing so far this year over at the Green Lake access.
    Question for you? Will the fish spawn at pretty much the same time on the whole lake? The reason I ask is because on the upper end (Palarm Creek, Art Pond, Hog Island) is only 3 ft deep or so and over on the west southwest part you have water that will average 6 or 7 ft with some going over 10. I've always wondered about that.

I went to the dam last week and dipped me out about a third of a five gallon bucket of those shad you were talking about. I went over to look at it yesterday and man they were in there thick but I forgot to throw my knee boots in the truck and the water was too deep to do in tennis shoes this time. Can you get shad over there any time or is it just in the spring? This was my first time to ever go over there.

I'll leave you alone now I've already asked you a bunch of questions. I sure would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

ST

20. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Oh yeah, That game & fish guy I talked to was over at that field dog trial place across the road from the Ben Pearson archery range. He seem like a nice guy.

ST

edit* I don't think the Brotherhood is just for rod and reel fisherman. It's The Brotherhood of Catfishermen*