The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help.
I am a walleye guy and up until a couple years ago have never fished for cats. Started camping at a cooling lake in Illinois and fish it every weekend. Not much for bass or crappie so tried my hand at fishing for cats. I go to the hot water discharge and throw my cast net for shad then depending on time of year either stay in the hot water or move to the cold end to fish. Right now water temp at discharge about 100 deg and about 82 and cold end. Currently I fish 3-ways with 5/0 circle hooks and light weights and do a controlled drift with the current in anywhere from 8fow to low 20s. The lake has a lot of structure and max depth of about 36fow. I have been very successful with channels and catch 8-10lb cats pretty regularly but haven't really had much luck with blues and would like to start finding some of the big blues i have heard about there. I have read that they are more suspended in deeper water when its hot and this last weekend pulled out the planner boards and drifted deeper water placing baits from down 8ft to below 20ft. Had good marks on depth finder but didnt get anything to go. Need some advise as to what to look for and what water temps I should be fishing for blues. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts