new to blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by flatheadslayer, Oct 14, 2009.

1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i've never fished for blues before, been fishing for flats for yrs. now i want to try for some blues,i was just wanting to know the main differences in fishing for blues than flats.thanks for any help.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the mighty BOC Preston. Refer to the entire blue catfish forum for helpful tips as far back as 2005.:wink:

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would say the biggest difference is the bait. Blues prefer cut bait and flathheads seem to prefer live bait. Shad and skipjack are the best baits for blues. I also believe flatheads prefer structure more than blues. Blues stay active all year and can be caught in the winter months. Good luck.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Two HUGE differences

1. Blues love Cut bait! they will take live and have actually been hitting it better recently on the Chattahoochee, but as a rule cut bait.

2. Blues love current. They will still hide in structure, but they like for it to be in current. Ledges are key. Blues will also travel to eat. When you see shad swimming with fish underneath; the top layer of big fish will be stripes and under them will be the blues. You have to make sure you get your baits UNDER the stripes or those dang things will hit you hard. :cool2::smile2:. Not a bad thing necessarily.

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i agree the blues would rather have cut bait over live but i have caught some with live bait. perty much any kind of cut bait is good but try to use the bait you catch where your fishing.

6. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would say the main difference is current. Blues love current. Flatheads do not. Live or cut bait works. One day they may hit live and another they may hit cut. Also blues are not slaves to cover they are a roamer as opposed to a flathead who likes to sit in cover and ambush prey. Drifting is a good method to catch blues but not so much flatheads. I would say blues are easier to catch than a flathead but that is just my experience.

7. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i may try to drift fish this weekend for the first time.:confused2::confused2: probably using cut bluegill